Horrible way to lose a cow

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

M-5 wrote:I ran over my dog several years ago . I spent a pile of money fixing him and He still doesn't hold a grudge although he still remembers when i crank the tractor . Things happen so quick sometimes.

Dogs are smarter than cows and most people.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 am

I can assure you one of these is also a bad way to inure a cow

http://www.pvdobson.com/wp-content/uplo ... ER-001.jpg
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:I can assure you one of these is also a bad way to inure a cow

http://www.pvdobson.com/wp-content/uplo ... ER-001.jpg

Uh oh. Speaking from experience?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

From what I have been told, more cows die from FROGS baled up - botulism.

Years ago, it was spring and knee deep mud everywhere. It was all I could do to get the tractor in & out to feed bales. One day I was backing away from the feeder and I saw an EAR sticking out of the mud. Man, it was the best heifer calf we had. Whether I had knocked it into the mud previously, or cows had bumped it. IDK, but was a hard one to swallow!
Sh$t happens.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:From what I have been told, more cows die from FROGS baled up - botulism.

Years ago, it was spring and knee deep mud everywhere. It was all I could do to get the tractor in & out to feed bales. One day I was backing away from the feeder and I saw an EAR sticking out of the mud. Man, it was the best heifer calf we had. Whether I had knocked it into the mud previously, or cows had bumped it. IDK, but was a hard one to swallow!
Sh$t happens.

Thank you for sharing, Jeanne. Hate to say this but at least she wasn't one of my faves (that would require therapy; can't erase that image) but still a good cow, raised a nice calf, only 4 years old.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 am

TCRanch wrote:[
Thank you for sharing, Jeanne. Hate to say this but at least she wasn't one of my faves (that would require therapy; can't erase that image) but still a good cow, raised a nice calf, only 4 years old.

You raise a good point about the image that gets burned in your mind. A car in front of me hit a cat years ago and I can still remember it; it went into a spasm so hard that it (and/or the impact) launched it into a surreal contortion a story or two high, just above my windshield. Horrifying. Can't imagine what survivors of war and other highly-visual traumas have to deal with.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am

Yeah, had a guy putting out fresh straw - cows get to jumping and playing in it and one runs side on into the slicer, didnt catch the spears, but the blade is razor sharp. There was no sewing her up, had to shoot it.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:Yeah, had a guy putting out fresh straw - cows get to jumping and playing in it and one runs side on into the slicer, didnt catch the spears, but the blade is razor sharp. There was no sewing her up, had to shoot it.

Oh my gosh. That must have been horrible! We've scraped them with the spears before or they've run into them but nothing more than losing a little hide.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”