SAV Elation 7899

Help Support CattleToday:

Is an $800,000 bull 8 times better than a $100,000 bull or 100 times better than a $8000 bull? No, it is like an exponential curve, at the top you have to pay a lot of money to get that last bit of extra performance, well hopefully you get extra performance.

I think with these big prices you are also buying the publicity and bragging rights that goes with the big price tag.

Ken

Just look at the free advertising they have gotten on this bull over the past week. He's all over Facebook and about every ag media outlet around. I don't know how you quantify that but it's worth something.

I'd guess his semen won't sell for $20 a straw. A lot of the current SAV bulls are around $40 a straw for conventional semen, then the sexed semen would naturally cost more, probably $75 a straw, if they elect to go that route. Then the A.I. certificates will likely be around $40 each, so all of that will add up, plus the tax depreciation write off will come in handy. As others have noted, I sometimes wonder how much money actually changes hands on sales like this.

Luckiamute":3hc4hwqz said:
I'd guess his semen won't sell for $20 a straw. A lot of the current SAV bulls are around $40 a straw for conventional semen, then the sexed semen would naturally cost more, probably $75 a straw, if they elect to go that route. Then the A.I. certificates will likely be around $40 each, so all of that will add up, plus the tax depreciation write off will come in handy. As others have noted, I sometimes wonder how much money actually changes hands on sales like this.

Semen is being offered at $50/ unit

ALACOWMAN":2qy1ys9p said:
frieghttrain":2qy1ys9p said:
http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/epd.html?reg=18911198 He doesn't look so hot
Actually he looks a lot better than most of the ones at stud..no where near 800k good but good..when they claim they get that much, you can bet it lights a fire in the breeders...what keeps those angus wheels turning..
Tbh he doesn't look impressive to me at all considering the bulls that have come out of that program and I sure as heck wouldn't pay 50 a straw for him. Just my :2cents:

wbvs58":12y0orvp said:
Is an $800,000 bull 8 times better than a $100,000 bull or 100 times better than a $8000 bull?
No, it is like an exponential curve....

Ken
Nice try Ken, but Wrong....
IF you are currently weaning 500 lb calves, I'm pretty sure 8 times more or 4,000 lb weaning weights is what you'll get.
Ya can't fool me with your exponential curves. :cowboy:

On the Semen certificate deal, the AAA gets a $10 flat fee per AI cert for transferring them from SAV to ABC Angus, the owners get the rest.

Luckiamute":36gt0h3s said:

That is still a ton of straws and certificates. My money is on it being a publicity stunt. Get your name out there, get a big bull, and hopefully the money rolls in.

NonTypicalCPA":2lwl2kc0 said:
Assuming the owners tax rate is 30%, they can write him off in full this year and take $240,000 off his price.

...I know.

Tax considerations really do come into play, especially if there is substantial income.

frieghttrain":1rnps65o said:
High Hopes (is what I'd have named him)
He does bring something to the table and doesn't look bad, until you ask.... Is that what 100k looks like let alone 800?

IMO He's a Boom or Bust prospect and at $50 with bottom 15% scrotal and bottom 30% hp
I'll be more than content to wait 4-5 yrs before deciding to try him or not.

gizmom":2mle33yp said:
Well this record didn't last long, Coleman Bravo sold today for 450k half interest if my math is correct that means valued at 900k. Congratulations to Larry and Dee.

Gizmom
Elation was 800 for 80% so he's a million dollar valuation.

gizmom":2no7fswy said:
Jake

Your correct, but still a whole lot of money for a young bull.

Gizmom

Very true. I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo

Jake

I don't know but I do know when we started selling our yearling bulls the Charlo calves were the first ones selected. He sure adds power. I am a fan of XXP for the maternal power he adds to the equation. I am using the Extension bull and using sexed heifer semen to try to get as many females as I can. Which means the flush will probably be a total bust! Anytime I get really excited about a mating it seems to jinx it.

Gizmom

Jake":kbiynws3 said:
I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo?
I'm sure there has been, but what criteria are you measuring?
Semen sale $
Total value of offspring produced?
Economic impact of offspring from all farms combined?

The Holstein bull Pawnee Farm Arlinda Chief produced 2 million great granddaughters and 14% of holsteins
in the USA descend from him. His economic impact was estimated in 2016 at $30 billion dollars over 50 years.
That averages to 600 million per year (900 million per average 18 month period) or $1,643,835 per day
every single day for 50 years!

No beef bull could ever hold a candle to good old Chief in terms of economic impact.

Son of Butch":2qkdj296 said:
Jake":2qkdj296 said:
I wonder if any sire has ever produced more $$$ in a 18 month period than Charlo?
I'm sure there has been, but what criteria are you measuring?
Semen sale $
Total value of offspring produced?
Economic impact of offspring from all farms combined?

The Holstein bull Pawnee Farm Arlinda Chief produced 2 million great granddaughters and 14% of holsteins
in the USA descend from him. His economic impact has been estimated at $30 billion dollars over 50 years.
That averages to 600 million per year (900 million per average 18 month period) or $1,643,835 per day
every single day for 50 years!

No beef bull could ever hold a candle to good old Chief in terms of economic impact.
I was really only considering beef bulls and those selling registered progeny. Obviously some of the super ai bulls have likely produced more total $$ of cattle.

And I'm not a Charlo fan. I won't use him. Just find interesting