electronic ID's and 3rd party auditors.. chickization of the beef industry

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
100 of the biggest packers and retailers.. including walmart / costco / etc

partnering with the WWF. 3rd party auditors to insure standards are met ( you pay)

electronic ID's to track origin on every cow,. (you pay)

you don't want in this? You lose.

:mad:

ddd75":eq2mocv9 said:
100 of the biggest packers and retailers.. including walmart / costco / etc

partnering with the WWF. 3rd party auditors to insure standards are met ( you pay)

electronic ID's to track origin on every cow,. (you pay)

you don't want in this? You lose.

:mad:
The NCBA needs to tie EID use in with COOL....fat chance. Like it or not EID's are coming we need to use it to our advantage.

i think a lot of smaller cattlemen will throw in the towel when this goes through. Lots of hassle, now you have to do all this and hire an auditor. They just won't do it.

ddd75":39phkozy said:
i think a lot of smaller cattlemen will throw in the towel when this goes through. Lots of hassle, now you have to do all this and hire an auditor. They just won't do it.

At a Beef workshop I attended a while back stated most independent operations like today will be gone by 2035.

I wish y'all all the best in keeping things like they are in the beef industry. The only down side I see is having the government in your stuff. And their so far in now they can't get the stink off.

ddd75":13wimklo said:
Her 10 years ago Extension told people they would have to register their farms and tag the cows. Only know 1 that did then it went away. I will go away when it happens and plant the farm in trees.

This is what you get when you keep taking money from the government, they think you have to listen to them because they are paying you to.

They already killed the swine, chicken, and crop sectors, only logical to do the same to the last stronghold for independent minded farmer.

sim.-ang.king":1klte8k5 said:
This is what you get when you keep taking money from the government, they think you have to listen to them because they are paying you to.

They already killed the swine, chicken, and crop sectors, only logical to do the same to the last stronghold for independent minded farmer.
Control the food, control the people. If you can't see that happening you need glasses.

It's definitely going to happen, because it will justify a whole new level of bureaucratic parasite for the working man to keep in a life of luxury.

I reckon it will take two, maybe three dozen government employees in every county to check tags. If you peeess one off they will seize your cattle and land. If you don't have government approved handling facilities for the silken fingered officials to check your cattle they will be confiscated.

It's going to be boom times in bureaucratville.

i read in the last 2 decades farmer feedlots were down 70%.

R calf is fighting this issue, I hope everyone on here is supporting them.

I don't want the government monitoring my operation but as far as tracking animals back to the farm of origin, I don't see anything wrong with this. I have nothing to hide. Its not like I'm hiding a bunch of income. Its plain to see that my cattle operation loses money or at best makes very little.

I already tag and keep records of every animal on the place so not a lot more work for me.

The first rule of business is give the customer what they want. We have to grow the export market if we expect the nations growing herd to maintain current or better pricing. Export countries want this, so I expect it will happen. I'm surprised it hasn't already if for no other reason than disease control and to weed out the bad operators that cost all of us money. If it pushes out the small guys that don't want to participate, so be it. You either evolve with the industry or you dissolve your operation and do something else. Business 101.

bird dog":1p72kq9r said:
I don't want the government monitoring my operation but as far as tracking animals back to the farm of origin, I don't see anything wrong with this. I have nothing to hide. Its not like I'm hiding a bunch of income. Its plain to see that my cattle operation loses money or at best makes very little.

I already tag and keep records of every animal on the place so not a lot more work for me.

The first rule of business is give the customer what they want. We have to grow the export market if we expect the nations growing herd to maintain current or better pricing. Export countries want this, so I expect it will happen. I'm surprised it hasn't already if for no other reason than disease control and to weed out the bad operators that cost all of us money. If it pushes out the small guys that don't want to participate, so be it. You either evolve with the industry or you dissolve your operation and do something else. Business 101.

For Business 101 that may be correct, but in my simple nostalgic mind cattle farming is more than business it is a way of life, that has implications as whole far beyond each individual farm. I am more comfortable with our beef quality and product safety the way it is now than if it was run like other areas of livestock production.

bird dog":1lhvsnt1 said:

Allowing the camel to stick its nose in the tent never ends well.

Bird Dog I think it would pay you to talk to producers who have already been forced to do this and I believe you'll change your opinion. Don't know if you recall the last time they tried to make us do this they used the UK as their poster child for how successful the tracking system was and how they could trace the meat to the farm within 24 hours however DNA samples in the grocery stores found packs of hamburger contained between 60-100% horse meat yet they hadn't a clue where it came from.

bird dog":hgn1yux6 said:

you don't know if your buying meat from brazil, mexico, or USA. Why would they want to track animals back to the farm for 'customers'. possibly for the export market but not for here, they do NOT want a location label on any meat sales in this country.