A "Lady in waiting"

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: A "Lady in waiting"

Postby gizmom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Nice cow, like you I hate twins but it sure is nice when they turn out looking like that!

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Franke
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Franke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:34 pm

That’s always good to have live calves....even better to have heifers!!
1 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Nice looking cow! I hope my last year born twin heifers will be as good. :)
1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

She looks like a real calf machine Jeanne. You could get away with just using black and white film in your camera.

Ken
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:27 pm

[quote="Jeanne - Simme Valley"]No. The old cow that had 3 sets of twins were sired by 3 different bulls.

Screwed up...Sorry I meant,,where the Decendants on The maternal side.
related ??
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Nice cow. Have you ever had problems with Milestone's calving? His MCE number is not great, and Ron lost a Milestone calving her first calf. In your experience, what kind of cow does he work best on? I have 5 straws of him, and not sure what to use him on. I have three heifer sexed embryos sired by him in my tank, just arrived this week.
Thanks for the eye candy! lol
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Thank you everyone.
ALA - Yeah --- my donor Miss Lass's descendants tend to be more of my twinners. The old donor averaged 19 good embryos. Hudson Pines used to lease her and they LOVED her. We shared 50/50 embryos.
But, I get them willie nillie - no rhyme or reason as far as pedigree.
It used to be said that the national average for twins was 8% and Simmental was 13%. No idea what it is now, but my girls are pretty fertile ladies.
Chris - Milestone can give you a little larger frame cow. All my cows are fairly clean fronted, deep soggy cows. Phenotype pretty uniform except for color. LOL I have Milestone daughters out of my old 3T Perfector cow (had the 3 sets of twins), and one out of a Dream On cow. The pictured one is also out of a Perfector cow S3W (same cow family Miss Lass). I have sold at least 4 Milestone bulls, which is saying a lot, because I castrate heavy and he is not listed as a CE sire. No calving problems at all. I would not use him on a heifer because of his EPD's, but I have not had any reason to be afraid to use him.
This is Trinity 3T, the cow that had 3 sets of twins at age 8, 9, 10. Now 11, bred for a September calf. she is a little soggy in the rain. She has been in the same BCS all through the 3 sets of twins.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jd720
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jd720 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Jeanne I hope you can post a picture of her calf. The Classified bull is one I`m thinking about using on my STF Fixation cow that`s due to Bandwagon again on Feb 6. She is another fertile Simmental that had twins last year but bred right back.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Nice cow. Have you ever had problems with Milestone's calving? His MCE number is not great, and Ron lost a Milestone calving her first calf. In your experience, what kind of cow does he work best on? I have 5 straws of him, and not sure what to use him on. I have three heifer sexed embryos sired by him in my tank, just arrived this week.
Thanks for the eye candy! lol

Oh, I changed my mind - he's terrible. I'll gladly take that semen off your hands. :lol: :lol:
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 am

I'm flushing my Steel Force donor to Milestone on Monday. Hopefully I get some "cows" from it.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 am

jd - I sold a 2-yr old, Chrome, with a Classified heifer calf on side last May. Chrome was a New Direction. Here is the Classified heifer in Indiana State Fair.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 am

WinterSpringsFarm wrote:I'm flushing my Steel Force donor to Milestone on Monday. Hopefully I get some "cows" from it.

I know SF is super popular with tons of 'winners", but I have never been a fan. Everyone I saw "live" was too fine bone, gutless. Milestone would be a good sire on that kind of cattle. He is big footed, good boned, lots of volume. Obviously, you have a good SF, but those genes are back there, so yes, he should be good on her. Good luck on the flush! Let us know how you make out.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 am

Chris - back on the Milestone calving ease. I meant to say I would not be afraid to use him on cows.
His daughters are big hipped and I have not had any trouble with them calving.
Looking at records, I have had at least 4 heifers born ranging 82# to 100# out of cows. At least 8 bulls 86# to 114# (total of 2 over 100#). I've had more calves than that by him, just what I quickly listed. During that same time period of calving I had 2 "steers" weighing 130# and 135# (guessed his weight, Phil could not get him off the ground) out of HocBroker.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
WinterSpringsFarm wrote:I'm flushing my Steel Force donor to Milestone on Monday. Hopefully I get some "cows" from it.

I know SF is super popular with tons of 'winners", but I have never been a fan. Everyone I saw "live" was too fine bone, gutless. Milestone would be a good sire on that kind of cattle. He is big footed, good boned, lots of volume. Obviously, you have a good SF, but those genes are back there, so yes, he should be good on her. Good luck on the flush! Let us know how you make out.

Jeanne,

I bought one of the prettiest Milestone heifers ever to come here from Rocking P. She was open. I bred her to In Force. As Lucky said, the calf should have fell out. The calf was 120 pounds. Who knows in her pedigree where it came from. But during assisting delivery, my neighbor who has had cows for 50 years came over to help. Bless his heart, he wanted to take control and I was willing to let him. I noticed he was pulling straight back. I said Johnny, let's take time here. He ignored me and just kept pulling like his life was at risk. He got the bull calf out. Dead. The heifer was bleeding, I called the vet. He was putting a hemostat on the uterine artery when she dropped dead.

Kris has always thought the abnormal BW was a Milestone issue. BTW: My neighbor is one of the best men in this county but I learned a lesson. Years of experience does not always equal knowledge.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:

Thanks Jeanne, I will update on Monday. Milestone makes them right, so I'm hoping for some cornerstone type cows from this flush.

As for SF I love em. The 2 I got I'd take 100 more of, but they aren't like the ones you speak of.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”