A couple of my bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here are a couple of my bull calves. They were born early July, they are not due to be weaned until the end of March but I guess I will have to wait and see how they behave themselves if my heifer calves start coming in season shortly but I should be OK as Lucky reckons Angus heifers are flat out coming on heat by joining time as yearlings. I hope your right Lucky, that would be a great management tool.

I have done videos of them as I believe it gives you more of a walk around them to see from different angles.

This 1st one is by SAV Renown he went 295kg a week ago. This is his mother's 4th calf her 1st 3 were heifers that weaned near the top I have kept 2 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqVk_TMd7Pg

This next one is by GAR Prophet, he is my heaviest at 354kg. Some people don't like the rapidly growing ones, I do. I like the cows to have a bit of milk and the calves to have a good 200 day weight to take advantage of the grass over summer. Around here everyone sells their calves at the beginning of autumn at big local weaner sales at a premium to what the regular market would achieve. They are then put onto oat crops over winter to background them for entry into feedlots to be fed for the Asian market. Big growthy steers are very popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO5oYKa ... e=youtu.be

I'd like to add, these bulls will be sold as bulls either as yearlings in August this year or kept as 2 yr olds for August next year. I am trying to train the bull buyers to take advantage of the yearling bulls but it is a slow process.

Ken

Both nice. I like the Prophet bull. Both are well muscled and lean.

I think I would be getting concerned having them with heifers. My Simmental calves start at right about 6 months.

I'm looking out for them Ron but at the moment it suits me to have them in one mob but we will do some juggling soon. I think they are a bit fit looking, I have had a couple of late calvers and another couple that were scanned in calf and have come back in season and I have persisted with AI so they have been spending a lot of time chasing and harrassing cows and not grazing.

Ken

Jeanne just so much easier to give an idea of an animal than just a single snapshot, for me anyhow.

Gizmon, I have 2 Prophet heifers that calved bull calves to Sydgen Black Pearl last year and are doing a terrific job on them and they went back in calf on the 1st insemination. I took a video of one of them yesterday but didn't hit the start button properly.

Ken