Ryegrass planting in December or January

Help Support CattleToday:

east_tex

Reaction score
Is it too late to plant ryegrass for late winter or early spring grazing? Are temperatures too low for germination in the Huntsville Texas area? Huntsville is about 70 miles north of Houston. Any comments appreciated.

Obviously I don't really know about your conditions but over here that would be equivalent to us planting in June/July, we have very heavy frosts and it will grow well at that time of year and be ready to take off in spring.

Ken

I've planted it Late November before and it did ok. You get enough warm sunny days in December to get it up.
The problem with a December planting at my place is that January is usually pretty dry here. It comes up around Christmas week, then not enough rain to sustain it till it gets some deeper roots, but that's probably a crapshoot no matter what month you broadcast it.

east_tex":1huxtlu8 said:
Is it too late to plant ryegrass for late winter or early spring grazing? Are temperatures too low for germination in the Huntsville Texas area? Huntsville is about 70 miles north of Houston. Any comments appreciated.

I have found out over the years rye grass is waste of time for me in East Texas IMO. By the time it's really going it's choking out the warm season grasses trying to get started.
The money invested in rye grass seed is better spent on hay.
I have had good results out of elbon rye

"Any comments appreciated."

Considering where you are (I grew up in the Houston area) and the weather we have been having I'm not sure if I'd try it. NOAA says we are in a severe drought and you show to be in a drought. You won't get much activity till you get some precip. which to me translates that you can all but kiss any grazing goodbye till just before it gets too hot and it dies.....aka forget it. But that's one opinion. If maw nature decides to wet you down, and you planted and got it now, give it 60 days to make something (if anything) you are looking at mid to late Feb at the earliest. Puts you right on top of the fence....daaa which way to go????? You win you get 3-4 months. Loose you lost time, diesel, and seed. As you know, the fert. will wait for something to feed.

I I'm about 50 mi. NE of Dallas proper and planted 1 Oct. Had 1.3 inches of rain since then. Peas are about 95% germination to 4" and Jumbo Rye 80% germination and 3+". I included a good dose of fertilizer in the planting routine and contribute my growth, despite the lack of moisture, to the effect of fertilizer on a plant's ability to survive on minimal moisture. Spring time temps prevailing right now and plenty of sun. Average soil temp still suitable for germ. so in that regard, you should be good to go.......

However, as I recall we got an email a few days ago from a Houston friend showing snow on the patio????????

My 2c.

Caustic Burno":14ul7oem said:
east_tex":14ul7oem said:

I have found out over the years rye grass is waste of time for me in East Texas IMO. By the time it's really going it's choking out the warm season grasses trying to get started.
The money invested in rye grass seed is better spent on hay.
I have had good results out of elbon rye

X2 We got away from planting rye because as you said by the time it kicks in gear all the other spring grasses are growing also. We had years where the rye was growing up thru the coastal as we were bailing.

IF... I plant some thing it will be oats. It fills that gap between when the grass dies in the fall and kicks off in the spring.

As dry as it is this year I would not plant any thing and I am glad I didn't. Hay is cheap and would... is... the way I am going. We got away from planting large amount of winter pasture. Its too risky. I might plant some for heifers or deer but doing it on a large scale is a loser long term for us.

I would not risk it because of the dryness more than anything else. If you have a prepared seed bed it might do okay but slinging it out would not be worth it IMO.