Becoming a game warden.

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Becoming a game warden.

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Our hunting licenses doubled this year so the state would have the resources to hire more DNA officers. Well we're still going backwards and lost 7 officers to other law enforcement agencies so far this year. And there's hardly any new recruits available to become a DNA officer in the state of Georgia, because you can't have any TATTOOS, what the heck does that have to do with being qualified? And I also feel that the state is treading on illegal ground for there hiring practices?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Becoming a game warden.

Postby callmefence » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

One thing were having to few is Better than having to many.
2 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrangusUSA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Many agencies have loosened standards to “no VISIBLE tattoos”. Some agencies require them to be covered while working.
Allowing tattoos opens the door on more problems. Philadelphia found that out with officer with swastika and fatherland, etc. What is offensive to one is honored by another.
Courts have consistently sided with agencies that law enforcement is quasi-military. Hence this and hair cuts, beards, fitness, etc. Some agencies have chosen to loosen requirements to fill seats. Who would choose to go into that career today in this environment?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 pm

callmefence wrote:One thing were having to few is Better than having to many.

So true.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Every major PD around here is below their allotted number of personnel and send out recruiters on a regular basis. Dallas even loosened their standards years ago to be able to hire. They are now over 500 officers down due to various reasons. I predicted on this board a few years go that this would happen and pretty much got laughed at. Don't worry, it'll get worse.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BrangusUSA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm

If my son said, “Gee I want a job with benefits, retirement, job security, steady raises, etc working for the government, maybe become a police officer?” I would respond with a recommendation to be a fire fighter instead. My husband said the same thing numerous times.

Police officer goes past with blue lights and sirens everyone comments on Krispy Kreme running out of doughnuts. Fireman goes past with lights and sirens everyone comments on he is headed to a fire to save lives. Firemen always get to be the hero. Be honest, when was the last time a fireman made a mistake and it made the news? When was the last time a fireman was sued or went to jail over a on duty mistake made in a split second?

I would just tell my son that he would look really good driving that fire truck...
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

BrangusUSA wrote:If my son said, “Gee I want a job with benefits, retirement, job security, steady raises, etc working for the government, maybe become a police officer?” I would respond with a recommendation to be a fire fighter instead. My husband said the same thing numerous times.

Police officer goes past with blue lights and sirens everyone comments on Krispy Kreme running out of doughnuts. Fireman goes past with lights and sirens everyone comments on he is headed to a fire to save lives. Firemen always get to be the hero. Be honest, when was the last time a fireman made a mistake and it made the news? When was the last time a fireman was sued or went to jail over a on duty mistake made in a split second?

I would just tell my son that he would look really good driving that fire truck...

Youngest son was Air Force CCT, I was amazed to see those guys in the fire crew jump on a truck headed for a plane with bombs.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm

slick4591 wrote:Every major PD around here is below their allotted number of personnel and send out recruiters on a regular basis. Dallas even loosened their standards years ago to be able to hire. They are now over 500 officers down due to various reasons. I predicted on this board a few years go that this would happen and pretty much got laughed at. Don't worry, it'll get worse.

It's a shame because we need some good DNR and other law enforcement officers in our area. They always come out when I call, and make an arrest or two when I have a problem. The officers tell me most folks are not willing to prosecute people for trespassing and poaching. Making $40k in rural Dodge county per year isn't a lot, but it's way more than the majority of folks make here per year.
We sure don't need anymore fireman around here, they're nothing but ambulance chasers making a check and trying to stay busy doing nothing. Being a fireman is a really good job, but cost the taxpayers more than their worth.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Every major PD around here is below their allotted number of personnel and send out recruiters on a regular basis. Dallas even loosened their standards years ago to be able to hire. They are now over 500 officers down due to various reasons. I predicted on this board a few years go that this would happen and pretty much got laughed at. Don't worry, it'll get worse.

It's a shame because we need some good DNR and other law enforcement officers in our area. They always come out when I call, and make an arrest or two when I have a problem. The officers tell me most folks are not willing to prosecute people for trespassing and poaching. Making $40k in rural Dodge county per year isn't a lot, but it's way more than the majority of folks make here per year.
We sure don't need anymore fireman around here, they're nothing but ambulance chasers making a check and trying to stay busy doing nothing. Being a fireman is a really good job, but cost the taxpayers more than their worth.

You can have all of ours, they make up to 75k. They are State Police gestapo.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm

http://www.gcdailyworld.com/gallery/18796

I'm proud to know our local CO, and General Umbarger. Umbarger Show Feeds, for you that feed it. Both good men that have sacrificed plenty for my freedom.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Vince,

Congratulations. You will make a good game warden.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Vince,

Congratulations. You will make a good game warden.

Nope, a deal was made with the DA and Judge that I wouldn't catch anymore poachers. And I used up everyone I knew to stay out of the pokey, and I try to be good to my word. I still enjoy walking our property in the early morning hours and listening for stuff out of the ordinary. We have major problems with poachers hunting at night using subsonic ammo and silencers, but you can hear a truck for a mile or more easy. I definitely enjoy hunting people more than deer.
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 am

Grit, are you sure the problem is all coming from the tatoo rule? DOT was going to hire something like 300 officers after legislator's knee jerk reaction to those nurses being killed in the truck accident and they had something like 800 applicants but couldn't fill the vacancies because they couldn't find enough applicants that could pass the drug test and many of the one's that couldn't pass the competency test because they must have just been to dumb to roll a joint. Last warden vacancy I know of came from the warden totalling his truck while DUI - armed and in uniform. One before that quit and went to work for the company he was really working for while being paid by the state to serve as a warden. He had it made for several years making two checks like he did and using state equipment to do private work.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for everyone if the state just let us occassionally borrow one of their backhoes rather than hiring all these enforcement officers. With a backhoe you could bury a lot of problems.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 am

they couldn't hire any cops around here back in the mid-2000's.. well.. non-white cops.. They needed black or brown officers.. so first they lowered the test score requirements... only the whites still passed...

so they let convicted felons apply...

still didn't work out. so the had to hire those be nice whites.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 am

Jogeephus wrote:Grit, are you sure the problem is all coming from the tatoo rule? DOT was going to hire something like 300 officers after legislator's knee jerk reaction to those nurses being killed in the truck accident and they had something like 800 applicants but couldn't fill the vacancies because they couldn't find enough applicants that could pass the drug test and many of the one's that couldn't pass the competency test because they must have just been to dumb to roll a joint. Last warden vacancy I know of came from the warden totalling his truck while DUI - armed and in uniform. One before that quit and went to work for the company he was really working for while being paid by the state to serve as a warden. He had it made for several years making two checks like he did and using state equipment to do private work.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better for everyone if the state just let us occassionally borrow one of their backhoes rather than hiring all these enforcement officers. With a backhoe you could bury a lot of problems.

I attended a few DNR workshops about the license increase and other things of interest to me. It's the same olé same olé and we the people that are paying are getting screwed....again. I really wish I had the smarts and education to make a difference, because the more I prod around the more I see that I don't like. Sometimes I really wonder if there's actually more good than bad in our society.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”