3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":jyo6d1aa said:
I thought maybe you were 12.....
Oh dear, do I really come off that young?? I mean granted I'm long winded and easily frantic, but 12?? Oiy vey :lol: I'm actually flattered to have found this sight. There's so many of you that know a lot and I've learned a lot from everyone that's helpful information I would've never known without y'all.

Sorry if I'm making anyone feel old though! Not my intention I swear it!

slick4591":2ljxx9d3 said:
cowgirl8":2ljxx9d3 said:

Sounds like Marie Barone just entered the room.
That's the mom lady from Everybody Loves Raymond right? (That show was never a fav of mine thatvmy parents and grandparents watched... I preferred Friends or Walker Texas Ranger or Golden Girls :lol: )

LizHartley1991":2c5aszk7 said:
cowgirl8":2c5aszk7 said:
Oh dear, do I really come off that young?? I mean granted I'm long winded and easily frantic, but 12?? Oiy vey :lol: I'm actually flattered to have found this sight. There's so many of you that know a lot and I've learned a lot from everyone that's helpful information I would've never known without y'all.

Some things you have to ignore. Post all you want.

LizHartley1991":1ul4793a said:
cowgirl8":1ul4793a said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Oh..that last line was wonderful!!!! Where's that thumbsup emoticon?
You're doing fine here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":248277gq said:
Glad you cleared that up, I had no idea who Marie Barone was???
You didn;t miss anything. I've known a couple of women like that so I only saw parts of a couple of episodes. I detest that character. Other then her the only one I know is the guy that was Mannie the Mammoth in ice age. And frankenstein in the young frankenstien.

LizHartley1991":1vcavna6 said:
It's almost 65 degrees today so Mira found a nice dry spot to lay outside in the sun today!

Awesome. Some days it's good to be a cow.

Mira is 2 Months Old today. Tomorrow will be two months since she was put in my care and I'm so happy to see she's made it after all the freaking up and downs.

Speaking of downs, I am annoyed to see that Mira seems to have gotten pink eye. Her tear ducts are extra red and her eyes are now watery. It hit me out of nowhere and I'm annoyed. So it's eye treatment for the next three days like last time.

Otherwise everything else is very well. I've been having her outside to watch the other cows so she can hopefully learn to drink water better. She'll nose it and lick the bucket but she won't actually drink the water. That's the only thing she's not doing. She's eating grass a little more each day and she's playful and runs around the calf lot like an excited puppy, she's gaining weight well, and her leg muscles are getting stronger. Plus it's warming up just a smidge lately and she's been more adventurous in general. Aside from this eye thing, she's A-Okay.

Sounds like she is really hitting her stride. Congrats on getting her to this point. Good to hear that your weather has moderated a bit. Sure, it's not spring yet, but it sure beats those miserable cold temps. Keep us updated. The more active she gets, the more she will be interested in and wanting and needing to drink water.

My cow is spoiled!

So it's been around 30 degrees here before it nose dive dropped and snowed. But while it was still in the 30s/40s, I left the door open so Mira can run outside and nibble grass like she's been doing.

On Wednesday I go to check on her after work - as I like to do - and I walk the whole lot and can't find her... Turns out she's laying in the barn. I try to coax her out to come walk with me cause she likes to chase after me and... She takes two steps out the door then backs up and goes back to the hay pile I made her. Not even the mooing over the other calves can get her to come out! :lol2:

So I defrosted her water, got her half a bowl of starter feed and fresh hay, fed her the bottle, then shut the door for the day. And that's what she's been doing every stinking day lately and it's hilarious to me and my family.

So I've spoiled my cow with its own warm bedroom, water, and food bowl. My cow is a dog :lol:

Ice storm has taken over the Midwest in my area.

Poor Mira about broke her leg. I let her out to walk and she went sliding on an ice patch. Fell down. I thought for sure her leg was broken the way she landed... I watched her and no strain or trouble showing so that's a relief. Poor cow.

I've been sick myself, so I haven't been able to play and walk with her as much. All I can do is feed her and give her pets. My mother tried to feed her for me yesterday to help me out but she fully rejected my mother and the bottle until I came outside. That makes was "fun".

All aside, not so bad on my end.

Influenza A. That was yucky. Luckily I catcher it in time so I'm feeling better already.

Worried a bit about Mira. Herrivht eye is watering. The tear duct looks pink and reddish brown while the rest of the eye looks fine. It doesn't look like pink eye to me.

Here's some pictures. I don't know if you all can see what I mean but it looks annoying.

Two things that could possible be causing whatever this is - in my opinion - is weather, environment.

The weather in Missouri has been up and down. It's the middle of February so we've had ice storm, warm enough weather to be hot in a hoodie, rain, then freezing to hot again. I'm wondering if that's making her have some allergy issues.

The second possible thing is her environment. Mira has a whole section of barn to herself bits wide, fresh enough hay, and fresh food and water is put down once or twice a day... But it's an old barn that was probably built in the 40s or early 50s. It needs an update; has all kinds of old dust in there. I'm sad to say that I haven't been able to put down a fresher bed for her to lay in because I've been sick and the weather hasn't allowed me to without the threat of injury or getting super sick... So the barn is in need of a clean up basically and I've had no one to help me and there's only so much of the barn I can clean up on my own. And that's probably irritating her eye.

So I'm worried about her eye. Obviously I'm heading for a vet this week. I've tried calling my vet but I've been sick and not picking the best hours to call and they're sometimes bad about calling back! But I'll be dragging my ass to them hopefully tomorrow if I don't feel like I'm dying again.

On another not, if Mira wasn't still bottle feeding, I'd let her into the field with the other cows. I can tell she's ready. Everyday I find her laying against the fence that is right next to the salt lick and water troth and feed area. She lays there and watches the other cows and calves. I'd love to let her down. But she's not eating enough for me to start cutting down the bottles so she can go to the fields. And she's still so small yet.

And another thing! Mira's front legs buckle on her. When she runs to me, she goes so fast her front legs slide under her and she almost face plants. It's insane... And cute but also concerning but she's running so I guess that's okay? Ack haha!

I would not be overly concerned with the watering. It does not look like pinkeye to me. Weather probably has something to do with it. A few of ours actually have something similar to allergies to things like dusty hay, straw, etc.

Latest posts