3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:that's mineral, not milk replacer.

Oh god... You’re kidding me, right?! I fed my calves minerals?! What?! :shock:
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 am

Bingo!
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 am

LizHartley1991 wrote:

Oh god... You’re kidding me, right?! I fed my calves minerals?! What?! :shock:

I'm afraid you are really confused about this stuff.
Quality milk replacer will have a minimum of 20% protein and 20% fat and be all mikl and milk byproducts NO SOY. The label you posted is for cattle grazing fescue pastures. Go to you local MFA (I seem to recall you are in Missouri) and get their milk replacer, the good stuff. It wil be expensive but it will mix easily and will give the calf the nutrition it requires. Directions are on the bag as to quantity of water and solids to mix.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 am

dun wrote:

Bingo!

Oh nooooo :cry: No wonder she’s wanting more! That can’t be filling to her... Oh that could also be why she wasn’t eating it well in the beginning and maybe that’s part of the reason she’s walking funny?? Ahhhhhh! I feel terrible! I’ll be going to Orscheln ASAP in the morning then... I can’t believe this :cry2:
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:06 am

LizHartley1991 wrote:
dun wrote:

Bingo!

Oh nooooo :cry: No wonder she’s wanting more! That can’t be filling to her... Oh that could also be why she wasn’t eating it well in the beginning and maybe that’s part of the reason she’s walking funny?? Ahhhhhh! I feel terrible! I’ll be going to Orscheln ASAP in the morning then... I can’t believe this :cry2:

I'm sure orshlens has a decent milk replacer. Just make sure you read the ingredients closely. Frankly I'm surprised she is still alive and doesn;t have more issues then she does.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

dun wrote:
LizHartley1991 wrote:
dun wrote:Bingo!

I'm sure orshlens has a decent milk replacer. Just make sure you read the ingredients closely. Frankly I'm surprised she is still alive and doesn;t have more issues then she does.

You’re telling me! Poor Mira... I’m a terrible cow mommy... :(
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am

LizHartley1991 wrote:
dun wrote:
LizHartley1991 wrote:Oh nooooo :cry: No wonder she’s wanting more! That can’t be filling to her... Oh that could also be why she wasn’t eating it well in the beginning and maybe that’s part of the reason she’s walking funny?? Ahhhhhh! I feel terrible! I’ll be going to Orscheln ASAP in the morning then... I can’t believe this :cry2:

You’re telling me! Poor Mira... I’m a terrible cow mommy... :(

Just learn and get it right from now on
2 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 am

Holy cow.....;(
1 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 am

I am sorry to say that I cannot believe that you didn't read the bag and see that no where does it say MILK REPLACER. Yes, it is a miracle that she is still alive. You have overdosed her with minerals that normally should have killed her in those amounts. That is probably most of the reason she staggers and falls because her body has concentrations of minerals that are way over the limit. MILK REPLACER... all milk based 20% protein 20% fat, with no soy, as was posted early in this discussion, is the same idea as FORMULA for human babies.... it replaces the cows milk.
And please, start her off with small feedings as her stomach will need to get accustomed to it. She will not have the beneficial bacteria to absorb the milk replacer right off the bat. Give her 1 liter or 1 qt a feeding for 3 or 4 feedings a day for a day or two at least to get her used to it. Do not be surprised if she winds up with some scours as her gut bacteria tries to readjust. She surely has a will to live, being still alive and able to get up and drink and all at this stage.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 am

farmerjan wrote:I am sorry to say that I cannot believe that you didn't read the bag and see that no where does it say MILK REPLACER. Yes, it is a miracle that she is still alive. You have overdosed her with minerals that normally should have killed her in those amounts. That is probably most of the reason she staggers and falls because her body has concentrations of minerals that are way over the limit. MILK REPLACER... all milk based 20% protein 20% fat, with no soy, as was posted early in this discussion, is the same idea as FORMULA for human babies.... it replaces the cows milk.
And please, start her off with small feedings as her stomach will need to get accustomed to it. She will not have the beneficial bacteria to absorb the milk replacer right off the bat. Give her 1 liter or 1 qt a feeding for 3 or 4 feedings a day for a day or two at least to get her used to it. Do not be surprised if she winds up with some scours as her gut bacteria tries to readjust. She surely has a will to live, being still alive and able to get up and drink and all at this stage.

I’m actually crying right now because I didn’t buy her feed. I gave the money to my farm hand to go buy and it’s the same kind we used for our last calf years back and she lived for years. Now I’m just mortified and embarrassed and dear God I was basically killing her... I feel completely terrible and I’m sure you all think I’m a complete moron for not paying attention... :cry2:
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:41 am

To everyone on the feed, I feel completely idiotic.

My farm hand brought me this bag of “formula”. I gave him money to go buy the replacement for me because I didn’t want to leave the calf’s side the first three days for too long.

During the time I’ve hern giving her the “formula”, I was mixing in an egg or I was giving her an electrolyte replacement drink to help her when I thought she was sick from scours.

I didn’t know how wrong I was being to poor Mira... Thank you all. I’ll be buying her REAL replacement milk and I’ll be buying scour medication and the works to prepare her for the possibility of getting it from my terrible terrible stupidity...

I hope you all don’t think me cruel or a monster. I really just didn’t realize. I put my trust in my farm hand and he’s obviously messed up too. He gave me this same stuff when I took care of my first calf back years ago. Same bag and name brand and everything... The fact that she lived through that is now terrifyingly amazing.

I’m glad it was caught before I continued on stupidly. These next days are gonna be rough on poor Mira and it’s my fault no matter who I had but my stuff or not. I should’ve paid attention better. I should’ve been smarter...

I’ve learned a lesson and I’ve learned it hard. You all saved this calves life now and I thank you all for that. I’m crying my eyes out feeling like a monster over this and I’ll be beating myself up for awhile...
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:37 am

We get scour bolus' for our calf crop and use as needed. Often times our bottle babies need it more than our calves on the mom. That can be purchased from any local farm store. It will have directions on it, but if she does get scours that usually helps to clear it up.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 am

Well, lesson learned. I would not jump into any type of scour medication until you see how she reacts. The thing that you need more than anything is to get her fed some FOOD, ie MILK. I would be more inclined to get some PRO-BIOS gel, it comes in a tube and you give her some which will help get her gut bacteria re-established. It has lacto-bacillus and other types and is used to help re-populate the good bacteria in the gut when using anti-biotics. Or sometimes you can buy it in bolus (pill) form. Just get her on the MILK REPLACER in SMALL doses for the next day or two. It will have a label that tells how much to feed and how much to mix.
Feed her HALF of the recommended amount at each feeding; but feed her twice as often so she can get adjusted to it.
Like giving a human baby 4 oz per bottle feeding, and feeding every 2 hours; instead of 8 ounces every 4 hours because it is spitting up.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am

I got country lane milk replacement. I’m following the instructions and cutting down what it recommends in half and doing half portions every three hours today since I don’t have to work. Today and tomorrow will be gentle easing of the formula into her belly and watching for bloody or extra bad poops.

I’ll update you all on how she’s feeling by the end of the day.

In the meantime, thank you all. I called my farmhand nd chewed him a new hole basically but I also take responsibility for not doing my be nice research... I’m really grateful for you all helping me and steering me the right way. I’m glad it was caught now instead of way later and it was 100% too late to fix. Her tummy is in for a possibly really rough day, though...
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

And is it all milk and milk by products, no soy and a minimum 20-20 percent fat and protein?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”