Headed to our after Thanksgiving Sale,

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":3s7wrd7h said:
Elk

I found a photo of the FA son wave been up, he is throwing some nice calves.

Gizmom

Thanks for the picture. He looks very similar to 2 FA sons I looked at and wish I had bought one. Was concerned about their frame size but a lot of bull in a moderate package.

gizmom":2nqdewzb said:
Elk

Gizmom

The bull looks like he's having a talk with his son. :)

Our son said we need to move him after this breeding season, I have an issue doing that he is just so easy to work with and his calves look great. The good news is I put the last two eggs in out of the flush that produced him and got one bull calf on the ground. So I have a replacement for him.

Gizmom

gizmom":1lgtlz96 said:
Elk

Gizmom

I don't know how a bull like that can't throw nice calves. He's a good looking dude!

Jeanne

Replacement with the full sib probably won't happen. We have a commercial customer that loves to buy our four year old bulls and we like to use yearling bulls on our heifers. 1339 has a -2.9 birth weight with a +14 CED which I love for heifers but to be honest I like to use a bull with more birth weight on the mature cows.I don't want to use an older bull on heifers due to his size and weight. My reasoning and it could be totally flawed is that if I retain heifers I am then stacking low birth genetics. So if the full brother works out he would be a sleep all night heifer bull but he would also be breeding paternal siblings so probably will not get picked for the job. I am constantly studying the bull calves to see who our next herd sire will be. I have hit some home runs and confess screwed up big time as well! The truth is until you get heifers into production you really don't know if you made a good or bad decision.

Gizmom

Gizmom what price range do you price the 4 y/o bulls in. I would prefer to buy an older bull but haven't had any success. I prefer a bull I can see some of his progeny and also old enough that I know how he will mature. Depending on the bull I have offered 3,500-4,500 for 3-5 y/o bulls and have never got one. I only know of one of them that ever sold as a bull. The others are either still standing in the pasture or already ground up. It is hard to understand another persons reasoning at times.

You would be in the right price range of 3500 to 4500 for this bull. We look at the current market to figure pricing. The customer I told you about comes once a year to look at our calf crop, then usually purchases two or three young bulls and one of our older bulls that we are turning over. We rarely keep a bull past three seasons.

Edited to add, we do know our bulls have some longevity we have sold a few that we know are still getting the job done at 10 and 11 years old.

Gizmom

gizmom":31iojlue said:
You would be in the right price range of 3500 to 4500 for this bull. We look at the current market to figure pricing. The customer I told you about comes once a year to look at our calf crop, then usually purchases two or three young bulls and one of our older bulls that we are turning over. We rarely keep a bull past three seasons.

Edited to add, we do know our bulls have some longevity we have sold a few that we know are still getting the job done at 10 and 11 years old.

Gizmom

I was just curious as it seems that I have been turned down everytime I've offered. The asking prices have been in the 5,500-6,500 range. For a commercial producer for a 4-5 y/o I feel that is a little steep.

Well the day finally arrived, I have been as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs waiting for this one.

I think she is going to have the same sweet personality that her mamma has. She was born late yesterday evening we haven't weighed and tagged her yet but I think she is going to be a dandy. Sired by Registry

gizmom

Farmerjan

I have no idea what she weighs, she won't fit through the chute. We are going to try to pull some of the weight off her, having a job to do should help with that. Now that she has calved we will try to run her through the chute again to get a weight but without scales I can't even venture a guess other than a lot.

Gizmom

The cow is nice and interested to see the calf develop.Great pair.

Latest posts