Marketing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7":1ny5h31a said:
Texas PaPaw":1ny5h31a said:
If you're going to setup to wean your calves would suggest setting up for fence line weaning. Have had little sickness with fenceline weaning. Think it will be money well spent.

That's sort of the plan.
Then putting them on wheat.

I'm not producing enough to really do it right, but really not interested in getting any bigger.
But that may be the only solution, that or quit.

I have to put in a plug for the quiet wean flaps. I'm usually not a sucker for gadgets but they have made a huge difference in lowering stress on the calves, bawling, trying to escape (and succeeding), etc. We put the flaps on and leave them with mamas for a week or so, then take flaps off and separate them for another 6 weeks or so. Only problem is that sometimes they do manage to work the flaps off. We realized that putting them in a less-brushy area helps with that. :2cents: :2cents: We found this works even better than fenceline weaning...

For only a 2 hour drive to a better sale barn, I'd do it in a heartbeat! it's 3 1/2 hours to my nearest barn, I wish I had some options sometimes.

With buyers like the ones you described there colluding for lower prices I sure wouldn't go back.. that's total BS!

I know different areas have different advantages and disadvantages, but selling big groups around here doesn't bring a very noticeable premium... Always hard to compare 2 identical lots of calves that differ ONLY in size, but my lots of 3-4 often fetch above average... I had a single steer with some chrome, 490 lbs, he went for $2.50 I think it was? I couldn't complain about that.

If I went and joined in late in the sale and bought a load of calves and had them hauled to the OKC sale on Monday.

Reckon they'd teach me a lesson on trading cattle ?

The local sale barns in this area sell according to size. The lightweights go early and they work their way up in weights. Steers get sold first, then heifers. Cull cows last. That way it doesn't basically make a difference if you are there at 4 a m or 8 a m to unload. The first ones to unload light calves will get sold in the first pen of light weight calves, the ones unloaded late will get sold in the later pens of lightweights, but all the light weight ones get sold before the heavier weight ones.
We try to be there by 4 or 430 am to get in line during the fall runs, unloaded by 6 a m then can go back to get a second load if need be. I have often had to sit in line for 3 hours on busy days in the fall runs with a second load.
You will see some 4 weights get sold in amongst 5 weights, but not like 4 wts then 8 weights then 5 weights. Groups of 4-10 sell as well or better than singles or pairs, but again not a big difference if they are good ones. Lots of single, pairs and small bunches are sold here since so many are small farmers with 20 to 40 head.
They will advertise any cow sales, and if you happen to have big groups the yard will tell the buyers ahead of time. Each group, if vaccinated or weaned, will be announced as they come through the ring.
We have sold both "weaned on the truck" and weaned and fed 30-60 day calves. We do as good or better with the weaned on the truck calves. Most of ours at that stage do know what a bunk and feed are, so it's not like they just came off the back 40 with no idea of what they are doing. We don't creep, but the calves learn from the momma's that when we call there is feed, and it is good to eat, and they are in the pen as fast as the cows in most cases. Even the ones we feed out in the field, know what we are about when we holler for them. 99% of the catching up of the cattle is done by one person, calling them in and we seldom have to do more than go around a few reluctant calves to get them to feel better about getting through the gate in there with momma. There is always that one or 2 that are going to be stupid.....

farmerjan":ylxlqbq7 said:
The local sale barns in this area sell according to size. The lightweights go early and they work their way up in weights. Steers get sold first, then heifers. Cull cows last. That way it doesn't basically make a difference if you are there at 4 a m or 8 a m to unload. The first ones to unload light calves will get sold in the first pen of light weight calves, the ones unloaded late will get sold in the later pens of lightweights, but all the light weight ones get sold before the heavier weight ones.
We try to be there by 4 or 430 am to get in line during the fall runs, unloaded by 6 a m then can go back to get a second load if need be. I have often had to sit in line for 3 hours on busy days in the fall runs with a second load.
You will see some 4 weights get sold in amongst 5 weights, but not like 4 wts then 8 weights then 5 weights. Groups of 4-10 sell as well or better than singles or pairs, but again not a big difference if they are good ones. Lots of single, pairs and small bunches are sold here since so many are small farmers with 20 to 40 head.
They will advertise any cow sales, and if you happen to have big groups the yard will tell the buyers ahead of time. Each group, if vaccinated or weaned, will be announced as they come through the ring.
We have sold both "weaned on the truck" and weaned and fed 30-60 day calves. We do as good or better with the weaned on the truck calves. Most of ours at that stage do know what a bunk and feed are, so it's not like they just came off the back 40 with no idea of what they are doing. We don't creep, but the calves learn from the momma's that when we call there is feed, and it is good to eat, and they are in the pen as fast as the cows in most cases. Even the ones we feed out in the field, know what we are about when we holler for them. 99% of the catching up of the cattle is done by one person, calling them in and we seldom have to do more than go around a few reluctant calves to get them to feel better about getting through the gate in there with momma. There is always that one or 2 that are going to be stupid.....
I bet there's some good deals on back to the farm cows at that sale. I'd never sell a cull cow there.

True Grit Farms":n7p9icmd said:
farmerjan":n7p9icmd said:
I bet there's some good deals on back to the farm cows at that sale. I'd never sell a cull cow there.

Was here last week.
I am going to check it out today.

Im not big on keeping calves thru the winter. Its a lot of work for maybe a little dollar. I unloaded some light calves this week also. Prices were good in the big picture but the light ones were a little disappointing. It sure beats stomping around on a cold, wet, day messing with calves though. :cboy:

99% of the cows that are in the cull cow pens go directly to the slaughter buyers. Once in a while you will see someone buying a few to take back to the farm, but very seldom. I think that most people that cull a cow here do so because they are really CULL cows. I don't think I would take a cull cow home from the cull pens because I don't want to take home a problem. The bigger fatter ones you can tell didn't have a calf, the thinner ones mostly are old cows. Most every farmer that I have talked to over the years culls a cow for a very good reason. And I don't see where I am going to make any money on their culls. I have on occasion years ago, taken a few jersey or guernsey cull cows home. Sometimes they get culled for poor milk production. I would go in the cull cow pen, get the cow against a side in the corner and check to see if they had 3 or 4 working teats with no mastitis. Some get culled because they wouldn't breed back but usually putting them out on grass and a good angus bull would get them settled. Don't do that anymore since I have enough of my own to use as nurse cows. Too many get culled for mastitis, and the ones that seem to have a decent udder either won't breed or else they have ATTITUDES. In fact, more farmers are culling for attitude now than they used to. If they want to be a kicking bitch, then they can go. There are too many replacements around to keep one that wants to get you.

do you really think you got that ripped off on a set of untagged, unweaned, unvaccinated calves ?

What kind of cattle are they?

ddd75":tbuu9v97 said:
do you really think you got that ripped off on a set of untagged, unweaned, unvaccinated calves ?

They all had two rounds of Calvary 9.
Steers were 718# heifers were 655# they were still on the cow but they weren't nursing much if at all.
Steers were either black or red except one black baldie
Heifers were red or black and 3 red motts.
Out of Red angus cows.
Half were bought as pairs bred back to a Hereford bull.
The WF may have hurt them some but there was only 4 WF in the whole group so I doubt that was much of a factor.
All nice calves, not a single dink.

Another reason to sell at OKC. While a group all the same color will do better, the discount for having a few off color is not nearly as much. BTW my loads to OKC are 13000 lbs and I haul them 5 hours and believe its worth it. The key is having your healthy calves eating well to eliminate the shrink. Saving that 5% shrink on 13000 lbs is 650 lbs. Multiply that x $1.50 and your freight is easily paid for.
Be honest with your commission company man on what you got and build up a reputation. Even if they are unweaned bawlers, let them know. Watch the sale and see how they announce some of them and that will give you some ideas on what to tell them.

I'm working on an area to wean calves.
I'll wean, two rounds of respiratory vac and graze on winter wheat.
I figure they'll be 900# after the first of the year.
Heifers that heavy may be a problem though, so I may have to sell them earlier.

I talked to my neighbor and he has a similar program but his numbers are big enough he works with a broker that sells them for him.
He sets his price and holds them till they are sold.
They come get them and never goes to a sale barn.
He's been doing it for years and he has people wanting his calves each year.

I don't have enough to do that so I'm stuck with the sale barn unless I get more grass.

Cross-7":163ml2kf said:
ddd75":163ml2kf said:

They all had two rounds of Calvary 9.
Steers were 718# heifers were 655# they were still on the cow but they weren't nursing much if at all.
Steers were either black or red except one black baldie
Heifers were red or black and 3 red motts.
Out of Red angus cows.
Half were bought as pairs bred back to a Hereford bull.
The WF may have hurt them some but there was only 4 WF in the whole group so I doubt that was much of a factor.
All nice calves, not a single dink.

So they still weren't weaned and weren't vaccinated correctly.. (no BRD vaccines or pasturella ) no tags.. and mostly red. So you want the buyers to pay TOP dollar on your cattle when someone else shows up with bunk trained, weaned, healthy, vaccinated cattle all a consistent color.. You want the same as him?

come on man.. #1 7 wt steers last week went for 140 - 149 here. I think you did pretty good for what you did.. No one ripped you off, no one 'got you' .. no one didn't bid because the other guy yelled at him...

not trying to be a D1ck but I think they did you right for what you took in.

Next years calves will be out of my bull and all black, weaned, all vac's and dang sure at a different barn
They were good calves
Probably more red's than black but the discount for not being black shouldn't be that steep.
I wish I had pictures, they were good calves, better than a lot that came through that day.

# 2 OKC Monday

Cross you said your neighbor has a similiar program but more numbers. Can't his buyer get together with you to make a bigger load or match yours to some others he might be handling? There are some graded feeder sales here where the calves are required to have certain vacs and weaning protocol; and the calves of similiar size/frame/grade get put together in a pen. I have sent some over the years, but when you pay the higher commission, and yardage and membership fees to the association; I didn't see where I was making any more money than just taking my calves here local. And Yes, I did the math on them the half dozen times I've done it over the years. All the talk about getting $30 to 75 more per head is fine til you start to take the inputs off and maybe it came out to $5-6 per head. That isn't taking into effect the longer hauling distance and time and fuel to get them there. I am sure there are others who insist it is worth it and to them maybe it is. But for us, it just doesn't pencil out. We have a reputation at the yard for our cattle, and people know them and we do good enough to justify it the way we are doing it. Granted, there are the few that don't do like we expect; the latest cull cow being one of them. BUT as a general rule, we have found what is working for us. I don't like the latest prices, but it's not just our cattle, it is the market in general.

If there was a market that was consistently bringing $.30-.50 a lb. more and it was a couple hours drive, we would probably try it. But there is seldom more than a $.10 to .15 difference so it is not justified for us. I have even tried to market some of my jersey x calves at the dairy feeder sales. They haven't done any better even when there are buyers who deal in dairy feeders so just stopped doing it. I can make most of them into beef anyway. And the few that I don't have a sale for; will bring in the same range here local as they do at the sale closer to more dairy farms.... so save the time and fuel. Luckily I can find outlets and will try a few more direct sales again if I get too many. I just get tired of dealing with the public and them wanting them, then not having the money or changing their mind or wanting you to take part payment and then they will pay you along. NOPE, been there, got the burns from it, not doing it again.

But we do try to keep an open mind and listen to any new sale ideas. I am BQA certified, but don't go that route anymore due to the lack of difference in prices for all the work.

Cross-7":2o0j3s5q said:
Next years calves will be out of my bull and all black, weaned, all vac's and dang sure at a different barn
They were good calves
Probably more red's than black but the discount for not being black shouldn't be that steep.
I wish I had pictures, they were good calves, better than a lot that came through that day.

# 2 OKC Monday

The discount for reds here is anywhere from $.15 to .40 a lb and for good calves. The only color they want to see here is black unless they are heavy - like 8-9 wts. Then the color doesn't seem to hurt them as much although it will hurt some.
Smokies will do better than reds...BWF do good like blacks. Any off color, like spotted & roans, and herefords really get killed. And if they have any "ear"... god bless...... I like the ear cattle but we don't have any. No reason to raise a calf that would bring $400. when the others are bringing $600.

Cross-7":2wsz3mwt said:
They were good calves

# 2 OKC Monday

i'm sure they were excellent calves. But the buyer is taking a chance on buying them, as they may develop shipping fever and be costly to treat, or even die.

good luck next year. :cboy:

Latest posts