Won’t eat grain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cucumber35

Reaction score
Not really concerned about it but found it strange...
Our cows only get a little grain on occasion, mostly just when we need to get them in. Pretty much a closed herd, just about everything at this point was born and raised here. I supplement hay with grain when growing heifers, so they all remember what it is pretty well. They think it's crack cocaine. I don't creep calves before weaning but start them on a couple pounds per head as soon as they hit the weaning pen and after a week or two they have the same addiction. Everything gets the same thing, a basic 12% "steer feed" that the local mill delivers to us in an old bulk bin.
Back to the point, my girlfriend keeps saying she likes the Hereford look. I happened to stumble on a pair for sale on Craigslist. I didn't think I'd ever buy cattle off Craigslist, I usually just browse on occasion for cattle "stuff". I thought they looked pretty decent, sounded like a fair price, so we got a wild hair to go take a look, and of course brought them home. I've had them locked in a pen in the barn separate from everything else till they are properly vaccinated and monitored for any potential issues. Just been giving them hay but the day after we got them home my 5 year old wanted to give them a "treat" so I said sure throw a scoop of grain in there. They've been in there going on a week now and it looks like they nosed through it and didn't eat one bit. Both eating hay fine and in good condition so I'm not concerned just found it odd and a little funny seeing how ours are apparently grain junkies lol. Guess they just aren't used to it? If it matters the cow is a Hereford/Simm with this being her 4th calf that was born in April. Confirmed bred back to the same Hereford bull as the current steer calf. So a 3in1 if we wanna get technical.

When I'm backgrounding calves, I feed them a little twice day. Occasionally there will be one that just doesn't catch on. He'll come with the others, when they come, but never eat.

ALACOWMAN":26opgc3z said:
Cucumber35":26opgc3z said:
Well of course they made a liar out of me and had it cleaned up when I went in today. Maybe they are normal after all lol.
They are,, and will be looking for you from now on...

Yeah I threw in another scoop before I left for the night and they came right up to it. Maybe they just needed to settle in for a few days too.

Latest posts