Deal or Dud

Help Support CattleToday:

EZ Hinge Farm Gate

Ran across it this morning and figure it's worth kicking around. I can see this as a deal for someone like me that doesn't own a welder and needs to hang a gate in an area where there's little pressure. I'm sure most of y'all can make one much less expensive with a little more backbone.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/UJg0gImOCkg[/youtube]

slick4591":147a2hz5 said:
EZ Hinge Farm Gate

Ran across it this morning and figure it's worth kicking around. I can see this as a deal for someone like me that doesn't own a welder and needs to hang a gate in an area where there's little pressure. I'm sure most of y'all can make one much less expensive with a little more backbone.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/UJg0gImOCkg[/youtube]

Use a commercial grade chain link fence strap on hinge. Only a few bucks .It will be identical to what's on the gate but male and comes in pretty much all pipe sizes. Once you got your gate where you like it. Shoot a good size self tapping screw through the strap into the post.

First off.... get rid of the guard on the tractor.... biggest pain of hooking a pto is a dry shaft, a ding in the shields on the shaft or a slightly bent shaft..... but this is the USA where everyone has a right to sell some useless contraption to anyone that will buy it. :2cents:

Atimm693":2oma99c6 said:
............. Still have to spin either the implement or PTO shaft to line it up, which is the toughest part I run into if the tractor has an automatic PTO brake.

Not to pirate the topic but your comment here caught my eye: I work alone and my baler tractor has just such an independent PTO. My roller has the CV joint on the tractor end so hooking up the PTO is a real bear. Solution has 3 parts:
1. I deliberately leave the baler with the pressure off the belts for obvious reasons. In doing this it also sets me up for improved shaft connecting.
2. I block up the shaft on the baler tongue so that the connector on the end of it is right against the tractor's shaft.
3. Using a rod in the U joint on the baler end, with the pressure off the belts, I can easily rotate the baler shaft while watching the connection for any signs of alignment. Once you see that little bit of movement, in she goes. Wink!

jedstivers":3gih0ebb said:
dun":3gih0ebb said:
jedstivers":3gih0ebb said:
Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.
Some I have to get real close and hook the pto up then back the rest of the way and hook the implement.
Easiest way to hook up the heavy ones is hook a ratchet strap around the implement PTO shaft and hook the other end of the strap to the end of the top link. You can just crank the strap enough so that it lines up perfectly with the PTO. That way all you have to fiddle with is the latching mechanism and the shaft itself.
Yep.
Speaking of the latching mechanism though, now days it seems they make them harder to use. The old simple push pin is no more.

I'm still finding the push pins on new equipment. My PIA is the rounder connector with the CV joint attached and the sliding yoke as you mentioned. Not Mother Deere's best moment in the design process.

Post by "dun": [/quote]For us "elderly/weak" persons, the ratchet strap is the only way I can hook up most anything, even the brus hog with it's lighter constructed connector.[/quote]

I just googled ratchet strap to see what you were talking about. Seeing it I think I might try that on my round baler PTO shaft. It's a drag implement but my 3rd member has a hook for attaching to the tractor to keep it at about the 2 O'Clock position when not in use. I could hook into that for a suitable lifting point. Much better than my idea of using blocks under the shaft as I have to lift the shaft to insert the block and being a pendulum arrangement, allows for fore-aft movement.

Thank you sir for that input! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Texasmark":15vb56ib said:
Atimm693":15vb56ib said:
............. Still have to spin either the implement or PTO shaft to line it up, which is the toughest part I run into if the tractor has an automatic PTO brake.

Not to pirate the topic but your comment here caught my eye: I work alone and my baler tractor has just such an independent PTO. My roller has the CV joint on the tractor end so hooking up the PTO is a real bear. Solution has 3 parts:
1. I deliberately leave the baler with the pressure off the belts for obvious reasons. In doing this it also sets me up for improved shaft connecting.
2. I block up the shaft on the baler tongue so that the connector on the end of it is right against the tractor's shaft.
3. Using a rod in the U joint on the baler end, with the pressure off the belts, I can easily rotate the baler shaft while watching the connection for any signs of alignment. Once you see that little bit of movement, in she goes. Wink!

I prefer to shut the tractor off and spin the tractor end rather than the implement, but I'm sure some tractors have them locked all the time.

We have a Valtra that allows you to put the PTO in neutral, which is pretty slick.

Latest posts