Where's your stand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Smallpotatoes

Reaction score
I'm getting geared up for muzzleloader season here in my great state. I bought a new ladder stand last week and I'm trying to decide on a location to put it. I've got a couple stands already out, but I'd like your opinions. My fences are marked with the white lines. Anything within them is possible (or close) Where would you put your deer 3 stands? My freezer depends on you!

My place is very similar to yours
my stands are in the corridors between wooded tracts.
This boy was walking the edge of pasture this morning out of bow range.

One of mine's in pieces against a debris line on a fence. Found the chair and one side of it.
The other one?? I guess somewhere in Lake Houston....
That's ok. I never hunted for years with anything but a camera anyway..

I have a young couple (20s) who ask to hunt the back 30. He put out a trail cam and sent me this. I have seen better bucks back there. In fact, I saw one back there that I would shoot if I get the chance.

dm4d3a.png

Big question,
1)any of the timber hard woods with acorns, are they red oak or white oak.
2) any cedar. honeysuckle, green briar. or sandplum thickets for bedding.
3) any green fields
4) fire lanes around fences
5) water sources
lots of things to look at and I never was one that could look at a map an pick a spot, lots of people are blessed with that talent, but I'm not one of them. I do like to hunt corners, the right edges, and oak bottoms. If it was mine I would look at the middle clearing that looks like and X and turn that section on to a food plot soybean or peas cut and bale then wheat NO cattle allowed then the second place to the right looks to be mostly woods make that a sanctuary for them to go and be safe. no hunting - no cattle - stay out, regardless of how tempting it Is to go hunt in it. If they have a place of safety and plenty does you will have deer and they will come out of there chasseing does and to feed in the food plots.

BRYANT":182auiwe said:
Big question,
3) any green fields
5) water sources
lots of things to look at and I never was one that could look at a map an pick a spot, lots of people are blessed with that talent, but I'm not one of them. I do like to hunt corners, the right edges, and oak bottoms. If it was mine I would look at the middle clearing that looks like and X and turn that section on to a food plot soybean or peas cut and bale then wheat NO cattle allowed then the second place to the right looks to be mostly woods make that a sanctuary for them to go and be safe. no hunting - no cattle - stay out, regardless of how tempting it Is to go hunt in it. If they have a place of safety and plenty does you will have deer and they will come out of there chasseing does and to feed in the food plots.

Many of the things I look for looks like Bryant hunts like me.. I have to find traffic areas if I relied on my luck and just put a stand somewhere id never ever see a deer... IMO research and time is needed to find the ideal location not an aerial map. Get out in the areas and look

skyhightree1":31yeattf said:
BRYANT":31yeattf said:
Big question,
3) any green fields
5) water sources

Many of the things I look for looks like Bryant hunts like me.. I have to find traffic areas if I relied on my luck and just put a stand somewhere id never ever see a deer... IMO research and time is needed to find the ideal location not an aerial map. Get out in the areas and look

Reason I squirrel hunt so much.
Find the squirrels find the deer both are after the same acorn.

True Grit Farms":1c1oysq8 said:
To me getting out and walking around all you do is scare the deer off and make them go nocturnal.

I have killed as many deer squirrel hunting as I have just deer hunting.
Nicer bucks for sure.
First round is double aught see a squirrel shuck it out for a dumpling load.

True Grit Farms":1fs5qh39 said:
To me getting out and walking around all you do is scare the deer off and make them go nocturnal.

I'm always in the woods so they are used to me or other people if being in the woods made them nocturnal here alot of people would starve.

I've got does that I can get close enough to rope if I could rope worth a shyt.
The mature bucks are considerably different. They may also travel several miles in a night. They come for the doe's but will leave on you if bump them. We stay out of the hunting areas and don't shoot doe's until late in the season. And then we usually shoot them off oat fields after they come in from neighbors who have finished and let the feeders go dry. Sometimes have to pick a shot between the cows.
To kill a big buck take care of your does and stay out of the pasture.