More Broom Sedge this year

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
herofan
GURU
GURU

More Broom Sedge this year

Postby herofan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 pm

We reseeded hay fields in 2013, have fertilized once every spring since, and applied lime in 2015. I actually saw improvement each year; hay quality looked much better and production increased each year. This fall, however, broom sage is running wild. Any ideas as to why this suddenly happened?
0 x

Ky hills
Rancher
Rancher

Re: More Broom Sedge this year

Postby Ky hills » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm

I have always heard that lime would get rid of it, but if you limed in 2015, that is much more recent than we have limed and we haven't had it for a while.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Doing soil tests will tell you why, otherwise everyone is guessing.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Yep. Probably needs more lime but a soil test would tell for sure.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 pm

can also be related to phosphorous levels
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Any of the above, or it can also have to do with moisture at the right time. We were droughty for about a month and half when the broom sedge is growing most. The other grasses were drying up so there wasn;t any competition.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm

We have had a rainy year, and it is continuing. I just happened to notice my neighbor's hayfield on the way home today, and it is the same way. I don't recall seeing broom sedge in his fields in previous years, but he has it now.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Ky hills wrote:I have always heard that lime would get rid of it, but if you limed in 2015, that is much more recent than we have limed and we haven't had it for a while.

If I understand correctly, the effects of lime are supposed to last a few years, and it takes a few months after application for it to start working. Isn't that correct? It's difficult for me to see how spreading a dust can change things so much.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Lime can only help if it's enough to adjust the pH to the proper range. And without a test there's no way to know.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

My broom sedge was a bumper crop this year. Head high in many places. I had no idea it could get that tall. Bought a weed wiper to use on it, and never got time. Wish I could have tried it.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Bigfoot wrote:My broom sedge was a bumper crop this year. Head high in many places. I had no idea it could get that tall. Bought a weed wiper to use on it, and never got time. Wish I could have tried it.

Since you are KY too, I wonder if weather played a large role?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

herofan wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:My broom sedge was a bumper crop this year. Head high in many places. I had no idea it could get that tall. Bought a weed wiper to use on it, and never got time. Wish I could have tried it.

It may be thicker than normal due to weather, but I'm convinced it's a product of low PH. Phosphorus levels figure in to it, but phosphorus can't be absorbed at acid levels.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
herofan wrote:

It may be thicker than normal due to weather, but I'm convinced it's a product of low PH. Phosphorus levels figure in to it, but phosphorus can't be absorbed at acid levels.

I don;t subscribe fully to the ph and phosphorus theory. The only field that has much of it has a ph of 6.5 and the phosphorus level is classified as high. That field is always the driest on the farm, i.e. ridge top so the wind really dries it out.
0 x

Ky hills
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ky hills » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm

herofan wrote:
Ky hills wrote:I have always heard that lime would get rid of it, but if you limed in 2015, that is much more recent than we have limed and we haven't had it for a while.

If I understand correctly, the effects of lime are supposed to last a few years, and it takes a few months after application for it to start working. Isn't that correct? It's difficult for me to see how spreading a dust can change things so much.

I am no expert on it, but would think that yes the effects would not be seen immediately. When we have any pasture renovations done we always get a soil sample, and it will recommend the amounts to put per acre, and usually that amounts to several truck loads when dealing with lime.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 pm

herofan wrote:

Lime takes time to start working and it takes several years depending on the soil to work completely. We test every other year and watch the ph gradually increase. When it stops going up if the ph is the range we want we leave it alone. If it hasn;t reached the level desired we will lime again.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”