Rehoming

Help Support CattleToday:

Good data points, thanks all. I have another one or two I was considering selling, so maybe I'll put together a group. The other two are younger (than this one) and have nice calves at side (heifer and bull, both out of Conneally Comrade).

Boondocks, here is the 9/6 report from Fingerlakes Livestock Auction in Canandaigua.
cows-bone utility 51 to 67
If the cow weighs 1400 and got the top price of .67/lb that would only be $938. $1500 for a commercial guy would be just too much. $1200 would be more in line. Also, Fingerlakes is also having a big feeder sale tomorrow along with about 100 bred beef cows. The bred cow market is soft now heading into fall.

nagwag":8tad5dzo said:
Boondocks, here is the 9/6 report from Fingerlakes Livestock Auction in Canandaigua.
cows-bone utility 51 to 67
If the cow weighs 1400 and got the top price of .67/lb that would only be $938. $1500 for a commercial guy would be just too much. $1200 would be more in line. Also, Fingerlakes is also having a big feeder sale tomorrow along with about 100 bred beef cows. The bred cow market is soft now heading into fall.

I hear ya. I guess I'm having a hard time with (in my view) essentially giving her away. If I was getting interest I'd negotiate but I think there's just no one looking at all. Everyone has retained a lot themselves due to low prices. Feels like we're all in a game of chicken (so to speak! :lol: )

Things here aren't very good either. I'd pay 1400 for her, registered and all, but we are too far apart that trucking would bring her price down to 1000 to be about right. I don't see anything wrong with her either and older cows don't scare me one bit. If you can manage to hold on to her, sell her with her calf by her side in the spring, at a breeder sale. Although not the type of cow needed in the south, there may be some need for bred cows and replacements after all the hurricane losses are counted and not just in Texas, but Fl and other southeast states. Plus, there is the rumors that this may be a very tough winter here in the mid-atlantic states. Sure we get those predictions, but we had next to no winter last year and a few more mild ones the past few years, so it may just be there will be a need for breds in the spring. We are cutting more of our OLD cows this year, and I mean grandma cows with no teeth and such, because we have also had 75% heifer calves in the past few years. Gives you alot to pick from but not near as much to sell like we do as feeders. We are commercial but have some scattered reg animals here and there. We still buy some here and there when they are cheap or are nice and older cows often are cheaper than 2-4 yr olds.

farmerjan":1lya5lcy said:
Things here aren't very good either. I'd pay 1400 for her, registered and all, but we are too far apart that trucking would bring her price down to 1000 to be about right. I don't see anything wrong with her either and older cows don't scare me one bit. If you can manage to hold on to her, sell her with her calf by her side in the spring, at a breeder sale. Although not the type of cow needed in the south, there may be some need for bred cows and replacements after all the hurricane losses are counted and not just in Texas, but Fl and other southeast states. Plus, there is the rumors that this may be a very tough winter here in the mid-atlantic states. Sure we get those predictions, but we had next to no winter last year and a few more mild ones the past few years, so it may just be there will be a need for breds in the spring. We are cutting more of our OLD cows this year, and I mean grandma cows with no teeth and such, because we have also had 75% heifer calves in the past few years. Gives you alot to pick from but not near as much to sell like we do as feeders. We are commercial but have some scattered reg animals here and there. We still buy some here and there when they are cheap or are nice and older cows often are cheaper than 2-4 yr olds.
Thanks for the advice. Thinking you're right that maybe we should just hold onto her until she calves. I need to get out my calculator and see what it'll cost to keep her over our (very very long) winter. Maybe I'll knock a little off the price and if I still get no bites, will hold onto her. At a minimum, it's been good to hear folks think she's decent. I was starting to wonder what I was missing.

Different climate here, but lots of guys buy heavy bred or weigh cows in the fall to put on stalks or wheat.
They like to buy them pretty close to weigh price.
Spring time when the grass is green and spring fever hits cows bring a lot more

Son of Butch":n7dku3wp said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.
When I buy or sell cattle it's for business reasons.
just a turn of phrase. Our cows ain't pets, don't have any flowers in their hair. just hay. (and manure ;-)

boondocks":2yqlapv2 said:
Son of Butch":2yqlapv2 said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.
just a turn of phrase. Our cows ain't pets, don't have any flowers in their hair. just hay. (and manure ;-)

That's the way I like my women too :D

Son of Butch":3fzz0yps said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.

I see it as a term used by animal rights activist, by using it one is helping to support and spread their agenda. Since they are against animal agriculture I question why one involved in raising cattle would use the term, or support it's use.

Allenw":1yd7o03t said:
Son of Butch":1yd7o03t said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.

I see it as a term used by animal rights activist, by using it one is helping to support and spread their agenda. Since they are against animal agriculture I question why one involved in raising cattle would use the term, or support it's use.

I think more than anything, it is a carry over from Facebook. Since they do not allow the sale of animals on the program, any posts with certain words about sales and photos of animals will be flagged and removed. People who rely on it heavily for selling various livestock have gotten creative and now use term like "rehome" and "adopt" in place of "for sale" to circumvent the algorithm that will cause their post to go poof. Some people even sell ear tags or halters that come with free livestock, or saddles that come with free horses, or list horses or goats as lawn mowers, ect.

Allenw":2ck5ec9d said:
Son of Butch":2ck5ec9d said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh please. It was meant as a lighthearted subject line. Honestly...

Boot Jack Bulls":2xhmh750 said:
Allenw":2xhmh750 said:
Son of Butch":2xhmh750 said:
Rehoming is for Hippies.

I think more than anything, it is a carry over from Facebook. Since they do not allow the sale of animals on the program, any posts with certain words about sales and photos of animals will be flagged and removed. People who rely on it heavily for selling various livestock have gotten creative and now use term like "rehome" and "adopt" in place of "for sale" to circumvent the algorithm that will cause their post to go poof. Some people even sell ear tags or halters that come with free livestock, or saddles that come with free horses, or list horses or goats as lawn mowers, ect.

I don't ever look at FB sales (and have never listed anything there; wouldn't know how to), but I do see it used on Craigslist. I used it tongue in cheek here, just as a pithy subject line. Didn't intend to start a firestorm. Or any kind of storm. Hail, wind, rain, sheet.... :lol: Too many storms lately. I'm def anti-storm! ;-)

I think it is a very appropriate term Boondocks. I have used it for my surplus cows. I am rolling over my cow herd very fast these days to make way for heifers coming through and I am often replacing cows after their 3rd calf. It gives me a young cow to sell and I hope that they find their way into another cow herd to live a long and productive life. I sell my best cows relying on my heifers and 2nd calvers to step up to the plate and produce the top calves. If you are going to improve I think you have to have faith in what is coming through rather than hanging on to the old girls. In a commercial operation I can see the reason in hanging onto the older reliable ones but when you are trying to improve your genetics I think you have to roll them over and have the nerve to see what you get.

Just looking at this group of calves mostly born in July, I have some ripper calves developing from my 2nd calvers.

Ken

Ken, I do think that your BEST cows probably won't be genetically outdated in their natural lifetime, that said, any average cow might as well get replaced with a younger cow. Also, sometimes it takes a while to find out what bull or breed works best with a particular cow, One of my best thankfully started off with a bull that really worked with her, so she was proven by the time I got a bull that didn't work with her, had it been the other way around I might have culled her and lost out in the long run

callmefence":2u0uhwle said:
boondocks":2u0uhwle said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2u0uhwle said:
"Ripper", not good, conjures up images of a guy named Jack.
"Jack", not good, can be used in off-color jokes. :)
Anyone else playing?

I think you crossed the line with "off-color"
Wtf is that supposed to mean. You be lucky if your not banned.
I didn't give you much to work with. Well-played ;)