Social standing in your town

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Social standing in your town

Postby slick4591 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 am

I'm usually referred to as the BBQ man to those that used to eat at my restaurant. Some of the Chamber of Commerce people would call me a curmudgeon as I would tell them I was finished doing volunteer work. (Did lots of that before moving here and it would always be fiasco because of egos.) These days, on occasion, I hang out with people that range from their late 60's to mid 90's at the coffee shop for an hour or so. Pretty much think I just blend with the scenery and I like it that way. I won't need pallbearers because it only takes one to carry an urn.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:50 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:

Be like mine have to hire five

Just hire a fork lift with an operator.

Pallbearers don't do anything anymore at most funerals. I have yet to go to a funeral that they carried out the casket...that's not saying its not done though, just the ones I've gone to and from what I've heard from others...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:59 am

To answer the question honestly, I am known quit well by all.

I went to a wedding last night. Didn't want to, kinda had to. The young man was a soldier from fort Campbell. Not surprising, that he didn't have many people there. 4 people stood up with him. 4 people, that I was surprised he even knew. The young lady, had 4 stand up with her. Not sure what her selection process was, because no way she was close with those girls.

Oddly enough, I am pall bearer quit frequently for people I don't know.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Found out that I was more liked then I thought when I first got sick....folks I didn't think cared for me much,, were calling, visiting and praying for me...and wanting to help out with the farm....I am thankful for that...I think a lot of folks are basically good....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Oddly enough, I am pall bearer quit frequently for people I don't know.[/quote]
Probably your size,,, they figure he's not gonna drop his corner.. :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Had a friend attending a Christian college In K.C. and he told me the local funeral home would often come to the college to ask for pall bearers to help with funerals where the deceased didn't have any personal folks to help.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Towns half Hispanic, don't know many of them as they stay within their own group and don't intigrate . With the white folk I know a lot of redneck types. I have a good standing with most. The only one I don't is the one who screwed me on a cow. We just don't talk. But in a small town it's hard to change a reputation so it's best to just have a good one. Stay honest, fair and show integrity and I have not had a problem.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm

BK9954 wrote:Towns half Hispanic, don't know many of them as they stay within their own group and don't intigrate . With the white folk I know a lot of redneck types. I have a good standing with most. The only one I don't is the one who screwed me on a cow. We just don't talk. But in a small town it's hard to change a reputation so it's best to just have a good one. Stay honest, fair and show integrity and I have not had a problem.

Most of those Hickspanics you speak of
we're in Texas when it was a Mexican state. I know quite a few in your area very conservative folk.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I hope to have enough grandsons, or husbands of granddaughters, to carry me. As far as social standing, it's probably somewhere in the middle. I have some good friends, and that's good enough for me.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Be like mine have to hire five

Pallbearers don't do anything anymore at most funerals. I have yet to go to a funeral that they carried out the casket...that's not saying its not done though, just the ones I've gone to and from what I've heard from others...

Then who carries them out? We carry to the herse and then from the herse to the grave and set on the thing that lowers coffin into the ground.
Have carried some awful heavy folks too.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

I probley couldn't be elected dog catcher as far as "social stand".
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:47 pm

They just call me fence...
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:55 pm

jedstivers wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:

Then who carries them out? We carry to the herse and then from the herse to the grave and set on the thing that lowers coffin into the ground.
Have carried some awful heavy folks too.

I guess the funeral home service...someone other than the pallbearers, they are just for show. Maybe its a thing about where I live...Lots of old people with old friends..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I stand pretty good with the working class and above but probably not liked by the deadbeats and druggies. Just the way i like it.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I am not real sure what "social standing" is. I ain't been in jail. I don't beat my wife. I try to take care of my place. I want to be a good neighbor. I ain't the mayor.

I think you are really asking how many friends you have. I have lived in a lot of places, and always made friends in the suburban neighborhoods I lived, and at work. I have come to believe friendships are spawned by proximity, and social interaction.

I am now back to the area I was born and raised. Been gone almost 40 years. I sure don't live in a suburban neighborhood, and I don't work in an office no mo. Don't really have any friends here just yet, and it will take time. So if social standing is the number of friends, or how easy it will be to get pall bearers (and they do still carry folks here), then I got no social standing.

I like having friends, and I like my alone time. Too much either way is too much. On top of all that, I ain't the easiest to be around. I have opinions, and sometimes I share.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Coffee Shop”