Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Help Support CattleToday:

HML-167

Reaction score

I tried searching for corral designs but the Photobucket images don't seem to work. Any suggestions for changes? I plan on 6" X 8' posts (3' into ground) 4' apart with cattle panels. 2"X6" boards at the top and bottom of the cattle panels. Chute will be 28" wide with sides of 2" X 6" boards. I would like this corral to be permanent but with the option of adding sorting pens adjacent to this corral later.

Thank you for your replies.

1. I'd shorten the chute by 2', making it 16' instead. That should work out better for your post spacing (4 x 4 = 16), and also to let you use 16' long lumber.

2. Add gates where you plan to expand so you don't have to cut the fence and add them in later, especially beside the chute. I'd put one there even if I didn't plan to expand in that direction so you don't have to walk all the way around to go from inside the pen to the end of the chute.

3. And I'd probably hang the gate at the bottom of your drawing so it would swing to the inside instead of the outside. That way it will be up against the fence instead of out in the pasture if you want to leave it open. Even better, let it swing through so it has 180° of movement.

8' posts are questionable. I would do 10s... 6 up, 4 down

I don't do the tapered areas before the chute and more. It can be a real PIA. I prefer a Bud Gate.

A slide gate where the chute starts to keep them from backing out and if at all possible a cut gate to the right with the squeeze chute. I would not want to load thru the squeeze chute.

I agree with everyone else's suggestions.
You need some walk in gates so you can get in and out of the working areas without walking way around or climbing over. (I already know you ain't no spring chicken)

I don't really like that big angled funnel area before the sweep gate--too much room for them to run around in on the big end.

You'll be glad you follow Brute's suggestion about the sliding gate at the squeeze alley, and the cut gate to load from. Work em a few times and cattle remember not-so-good things happen in that headgate and morning of the sale is no time to find they don't want to go thru it again to get loaded.

In the gray/green (I'm colorblind) area (holding pen) you may get by with the posts you want to use, but the blue area of the sweep/funnel/squeeze alley is where you want to use big post, tall posts, planted deep and plenty of them. That's where the wrecks generally happen.

I drew the load chute at an angle because I found my bigger ones had trouble making a 90 deg turn.

I would add a recapture pen around the chute. If you happen to miss one or have sorting to do after you work them. It also keeps unwanted cattle out of the area such as bulls! B&G

I would take out the funnel and just use a medina gate where the 12 foot crowding gate is. They will try to turn around in that funnel.

The cut gate suggested is good.

The sliding or guillotine type gate is good too.

I do have a recapture pen and have had to use it once or twice so that is also a good suggestion. It relieves a lot of panic knowing that its not a big deal when you mess up.

There is nothing wrong with your design. But if you start working large quantities, there will be a time element. Working 4 or 5 cows is way different than working 80 to 100. Even if you just double up, you're gonna think about saving time, especially in the heat. The more stress you put on cows, the more they are susceptible to illness.

I am not a fan of panels at all. They are hard on cattle, hard to climb, and they are not solid enough when attached to wood posts. I have one set of panel pens welded to pipe and I will never do it again.

If I'm going wood I'm going boards every where.

I prefer portable panels that clip or pin together over cattle panels.

TexasBred":zo7ol4x1 said:
What's the difference in a Medina gate and any other 10-12-14 ft. gate?

Nothing I don't think. Most people put on on each side so you can work in and out from either way or use it as it's own chute. We have used the medina gate on big bulls we didn't want to walk all the way down the chute.

My favorite is a medina gate basically with a bud box off each side.

Brute 23":3fzuqidl said:
I am not a fan of panels at all. They are hard on cattle, hard to climb, and they are not solid enough when attached to wood posts. I have one set of panel pens welded to pipe and I will never do it again.

If I'm going wood I'm going boards every where.

I prefer portable panels that clip or pin together over cattle panels.

TexasBred":3fzuqidl said:

Nothing I don't think. Most people put on on each side so you can work in and out from either way or use it as it's own chute. We have used the medina gate on big bulls we didn't want to walk all the way down the chute.

My favorite is a medina gate basically with a bud box off each side.

Brute on this one we disagree I love pipe and panel pen.
Mine is a hybridization I will have to get some pics when I work them this evening. I do have portable panels chained to the pipe in the pressure areas .

TexasBred":3neg4uab said:

If he puts the slide gate or guillotine on the beginning of the alley, he can isolate the cows in a medina and not have to use the squeeze if he does not need to. A whole lot of minor maintenance can be done with just the medina quicker and easier than using the chute, especially if you are working solo. Things like pour on wormer for example. I can do three cows at a time in the medina, release them out the alley, and take on another 3.

I have pulled calves in the medina and it is not a panic if the cow decides to lay down with her head in the squeeze gap. I'd much rather pull a calf in the medina. Last one I did in the medina was a calf with its head back.

Personal choice more than anything else TB. When I was a kid, no one had squeeze chutes. We ran cows into a loading alley or else used a medina. We were poor folks.

Ya, they look good. I see plenty of them around. Its just a preference with me.

I've seen cattle start doming out an area then eventually the welds will break on the panels. I have also seen bulls stick their horns in them and start popping welds. I have had weaned calves get in there and run the fence and just tear themselves to shreds. Plus, its hard to climb out when your in a bind. I can climb pipe and wood twice as fast. I have had to make a run for a fence and you had just enough time to grab the top rail... get one foot on the fence... and you better land on the other side after that. I can't do that with cattle panel.

My favorite, if money permits, is a good set of well build wooden pens. They give a better visual effect as a solid wall and if any thing breaks you just get a hammer and some nails and your back in business.

Next favorite is custom portable panels. Ranger Gate in Yoakum, Texas makes some 1 7/8", heavy duty, dipped panels that you clamp together. They take two men to carry a 10' or bigger panel. They have held up to any thing I have thrown at them. You can draw up any kind of panel you want... or any thing metal in general... they will build it and dip it... and deliver it. In a day you can set it up and sell calves the next. You can buy it in pieces and expand as money permits. If you don't like some thing its like legos... you take it apart and re-do it. The prices are cheaper than wood and steal.

Last is solid pipe pens. The cost is just not do-able for me in most cases.

HML-167":3jhqdq8p said:
I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx

Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.

LDEnterprises":gu0ozjgr said:
HML-167":gu0ozjgr said:
I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx

Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.

Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

Caustic Burno":2sy9ygb8 said:
You put enough drill stem braces in and welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

Based on your experience it sounds like it does work welding it like you described. The original poster mentioned using wood like i did with my first corral and these panels. Even if you staple every inch of the panel it won't hold a 250lb heifer. I think i have a lead on a pile of guard rails on the cheap so hopefully wood is in my rear view in the near future.

Caustic Burno":17wr0bk2 said:
LDEnterprises":17wr0bk2 said:
HML-167":17wr0bk2 said:

Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.
I remember when you said you were going to add the panels to the pipe so you could climb it easier.

LDEnterprises":3oz0pqgk said:
Caustic Burno":3oz0pqgk said:
You put enough drill stem braces in and welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

Based on your experience it sounds like it does work welding it like you described. The original poster mentioned using wood like i did with my first corral and these panels. Even if you staple every inch of the panel it won't hold a 250lb heifer. I think i have a lead on a pile of guard rails on the cheap so hopefully wood is in my rear view in the near future.

I wouldn't attempt it to wood.
Wood pens in my experience didn't work out well over the years.
In my younger days the rougher the cow the better I liked it.
Father Time educated me that was not the right course to be on.
The glory of metal is I built my pen in an octagon with no corners.

GB age has a way to make you look for safer and easier solutions.

Latest posts