calf can't walk

Help Support CattleToday:

The people I got him from we're feeding him one pint every four hours. When I got him I moved it up to two pints twice a day (worried about scours). After talking to folks on here I raised his milk intake to the recommended 2 qts twice a day. Sorry for the confusion. So we went from a half bottle twice a day to a full bottle twice a day.

Hmm. I honestly never thought about that. What's the best milk replace out there? I can change it, that's not a problem. And if that's the case how do I fix the allergy part of it? We are going to the vet tomorrow so I'll add this to my list to go over with him and get his thoughts on everything.

Bguth71":2c9e0fhx said:
Hmm. I honestly never thought about that. What's the best milk replace out there? I can change it, that's not a problem. And if that's the case how do I fix the allergy part of it? We are going to the vet tomorrow so I'll add this to my list to go over with him and get his thoughts on everything.

A milk replacer that is made from/out of 100% milk & milk based products. NO soy. Preferably 20% Protein, 20% fat. Land-O-Lakes "Cow's Match" is a great product. It is not cheap, but it is good.

obviously if e was fine prior to you getting it home and feeding it it is something youre doing..get some replamin and take the advice on the milk replacer

Diesel I believe you missed something somewhere. What I said was: when my family had him, he was walking. When they put him in the barn, after two days he went down. He was down when I got him, so no, it isn't anything I'm doing. The only thing I'm doing is trying to figure out why went down after they put him in the barn but not before.

I have not had to buy calf milk in so long that I wasn't even aware they made changes until someone here mentioned it. The bag I got with the calf didn't have any ingredients listed on it but I trusted the people I got him from knew the difference as they've been raising cattle for years. Apparently not. After doing research it turns out it is soy based milk, so we bought something that was milk based with no soy in it.

Bguth71":2ju8tr3l said:
we bought something that was milk based with no soy in it.
Good move. A calf can almost starve to death on that soy crap unless they are several months old. Even then it isn;t all that good for them, but it's sure a bunch cheaper.

Yes, there are several "soy" milk replacers now due to the cost of "REAL MILK" milk replacer. And all milk products is the only way to insure a calf will grow and thrive.

Is there any chance the calf got hurt when they put him in the barn? Got scared, ran into a post, hit his head, injured his spine....? Something?

Farmerjan: I took him to the vet yesterday. He has sepsis. She did some blood work on him and his white cell count is high, so his bodies fighting it, but she said his chances still aren't good. She gave him a shot of injectable colostrum, batril, and Dex. We're supposed to give him the second shot of batril tomorrow, if needed. After I got him home and the meds set in he began moving his legs, not something he's done before, and when we stood him up to feed him he tried to move his front leg, again something he's not done before. So at this point Im not sure what to do. Give him the second shot and continue trying to build his leg muscles up or just end it? It's a sad situation because he wants to stand up and go, it's obvious, poor baby just can't do it alone yet.

natural selection would've made this a no brainer..im sorry to be harsh but that's the way it should've went..doing this in my eyes is wrong..it should've moved on the way it was intended...im outta this topic as I just don't really see the point so bash away..i wont see it :hide:

I know dieselbeef said he won't see this, but how far do you go worshiping at the altar of natural selection? Don't treat an animal that's sick?

I definitely would continue with the treatment. You already have invested time & money. Follow it through. He at least has shown some improvement and you have an actual "prognosis" of what you are dealing with. BTW - hitting him with Multimin wouldn't hurt.

Bguth71, you have a very caring heart. Even though your patient may not live a normal life, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you tried to help. Keep up the good work.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2u31hhz3 said:
I guess I never heard of Sepsis - is this what I thought was Septic, blood poison?
Sepsis is what causes septic shock. Merck puts it like this:

Sepsis is a serious bodywide response to bacteremia or another infection. Severe sepsis is sepsis plus either failure of an essential system in the body or inadequate blood flow to parts of the body due to an infection. Septic shock is life-threatening low blood pressure (shock) due to sepsis.

Many doctors view sepsis as a three-stage syndrome, starting with sepsis and progressing through severe sepsis to septic shock.

Sepsis takes different forms, depending which body systems it is affecting the most, and the results can be different forms of septic shock.
One of them is septic arthritis, when joint inflammation is caused by the bacteria entering the joints directly or being brought into the joint thru the infected bloodstream.
This may be why the calf has so much trouble standing and walking...

Latest posts