Navy destroyer damaged off Japan-7 sailors missing

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Navy destroyer damaged off Japan-7 sailors missing

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

greybeard wrote:According to local Japan broadcaster NHK, this is the course the container ship took that night.
(wiki entry under key word ACX Crystal from yesterday)
Although the cause of the collision is not yet known, local broadcaster NHK claimed that ACX Crystal made a sharp U-turn just before the collision (based on GPS-transponder data). The ship later continued to Tokyo Bay

I do not know how accurate that report is, if the mapping is correct or if it accurately reflects the numbers or locations of other ships in the area..or even which one is supposed to be Fitzgerald.

A lot of information from different sources at this website. http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/acx-cryst ... hip-photo/

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:41 pm

From GB's earlier post with the Wiki article and the supposed path of the container ship, I don't know the scale of that map, but that U turn seems mighty sharp for a ship that's 700 ft long and 'handling' probably not the highest on the list of design priorities.. In the picture it shows it at 14.7 knots (is that at the location/time of the collision?)... So what is the Fitzgerald's path? I see a whole lot of talk about ACX Crystal but not about the Fitzgerald and what was going on there.
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:44 pm

As I mentioned earlier ships on the AIS system will - should- be watching whats on the screen, and plotting a course based on who's around them, big ships don't like convergences within a mile or less from what I've seen out there. And you can have a simple alarm set that if anything is going to enter your preset area an alarm sounds - I'm non military, but lots of open ocean sailing. Solo sailing you can't stay awake 24hrs a day, so you set these things to warn you if something is going to cross your path.

When they see our courses are going to come close to one another, they radio over and usually will split the difference to alter course a few degrees, this happens miles out, so even a couple of degrees provides a lot of distance between you. Even if they're english isn't great they usually do this, and if they speak some english they usually chat a bit to ask what each other is doing - if you've been out there a long time, its nice to talk to someone else even if its just for a couple of minutes.

That said I almost nailed a huge boat one night, as I couldnt get anyone on the radio, and it was very hard to determine size and direction of the ship until I was right on top of it, I kept altering course, but it wasn't helping. Some quick maneuvers, and I fell off the back of their wake as they passed in front of me - It was a huge ship though, much larger than the 5 and 600 footers I'm used to seeing. In the pitch black I was expecting to cross in front of it, when I realized it had already crossed in front of me, there's was no way to change direction fast enough under sail so I had to aim behind it, and it was close.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:As I mentioned earlier ships on the AIS system will - should- be watching whats on the screen, and plotting a course based on who's around them, big ships don't like convergences within a mile or less from what I've seen out there. And you can have a simple alarm set that if anything is going to enter your preset area an alarm sounds - I'm non military, but lots of open ocean sailing. Solo sailing you can't stay awake 24hrs a day, so you set these things to warn you if something is going to cross your path.

When they see our courses are going to come close to one another, they radio over and usually will split the difference to alter course a few degrees, this happens miles out, so even a couple of degrees provides a lot of distance between you. Even if they're english isn't great they usually do this, and if they speak some english they usually chat a bit to ask what each other is doing - if you've been out there a long time, its nice to talk to someone else even if its just for a couple of minutes.

That said I almost nailed a huge boat one night, as I couldnt get anyone on the radio, and it was very hard to determine size and direction of the ship until I was right on top of it, I kept altering course, but it wasn't helping. Some quick maneuvers, and I fell off the back of their wake as they passed in front of me - It was a huge ship though, much larger than the 5 and 600 footers I'm used to seeing. In the pitch black I was expecting to cross in front of it, when I realized it had already crossed in front of me, there's was no way to change direction fast enough under sail so I had to aim behind it, and it was close.

I bet you learned from that experience. :frowns:

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Several people I know thought of this old urban legend when we heard of this accident

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CDN reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CDN reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CDN reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

At least even the US navy has a sense of humour.. its posted here!
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=174
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Nesikep wrote:Several people I know thought of this old urban legend when we heard of this accident

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CDN reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CDN reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CDN reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

At least even the US navy has a sense of humour.. its posted here!
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=174

Funny

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 pm

greybeard wrote:You would certainly know about excuses CB.

Oh lawd doesn't he. But he's still an expert on all things as long as he has google. Yes it's amazing we can develop the most sophisticated ships, planes and missles in the world.....nobody does it better...yet we still have collisions, crashes and burns and explosions.......shyt happens !!!!!! Everything is not the result of a conspiracy !!!!!

BTW that shyt coming up the ship channel is moving at a snails pace controlled by tugboats. Hardly makes a wake... Not full speed in open seas.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Oh lawd doesn't he. But he's still an expert on all things as long as he has google. Yes it's amazing we can develop the most sophisticated ships, planes and missles in the world.....nobody does it better...yet we still have collisions, crashes and burns and explosions.......shyt happens !!!!!! Everything is not the result of a conspiracy !!!!!

BTW that shyt coming up the ship channel is moving at a snails pace controlled by tugboats. Hardly makes a wake... Not full speed in open seas.

No it is not at a snails pace and it is not being controlled by a tug boat.
TB you show your ignorance here
Go sit on the Fred Hartman bridge and be amazed by container ships navigating a 400 foot wide channel on their own along with oil tankers and barge traffic.
What I amazed at is the excuses for the event.
Seven US servicemen lost there lives to
negligence at best.
The only time shyt just happens you can bet an operator had their head
up their a$$.
TB you might watch and get educated

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWqWgaFKhI
I am the NRA

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 pm

:pop: :pop: :pop:
The more I read here the less I know.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Stuff happens that you can't believe all the time. I've seen crew boats smashed in head on collisions, and each boat has two paid captains to drive them. What puzzles me is the speed the ships were traveling. If a ship - boat gets to close to me I slow down and call the vessel on channel 16 and ask the captain what their intentions are.
Your head should be used for more than a hat rack.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

No it is not at a snails pace and it is not being controlled by a tug boat.
TB you show your ignorance here
Go sit on the Fred Hartman bridge and be amazed by container ships navigating a 400 foot wide channel on their own along with oil tankers and barge traffic.
What I amazed at is the excuses for the event.
Seven US servicemen lost there lives to
negligence at best.
The only time shyt just happens you can bet an operator had their head
up their a$$.
TB you might watch and get educated

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWqWgaFKhI

Well Google did it for you again. Did you notice the tugs boats?? And those tankers and container ship are really hauling azz... notice that huge wake behind that cargo ship.. the thing is hardly moving. But I forget. You operated an entire refinery, directed traffic to perfection on the Houston ship channel both coming and going and now know about ships operating on the other side of the world. CB sometimes it's better to just take a seat and wait for FACTS instead of speculation.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

TB I didn't need google it was for you an inland banker.
My job for 30 years was getting a million barrels a day of crude and product shipped in and out a day. Have been on Bolivar Roads a many a time and came in with the tanker.
You can google Bolivar Roads just where a large percentage of the crude and
refined products a day move through.
TB have you ever even seen a super tanker much less on one.
I am the NRA

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am

Caustic Burno wrote:TB I didn't need google it was for you an inland banker.
My job for 30 years was getting a million barrels a day of crude and product shipped in and out a day. Have been on Bolivar Roads a many a time and came in with the tanker.

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time? And who ever wins what is the reward?
Last edited by hurleyjd on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am

hurleyjd wrote:

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time.

Because these 2 old Farts aint got nothing better to do.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

hurleyjd wrote:

How come you and TB get into a pizzing contest all of the time? And who ever wins what is the reward?

I have no clue I just always figured he was jealous with a bad case of short mans syndrome
I am the NRA

Return to “Coffee Shop”