Is it just me

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Maybe jealousy, maybe I need to mind my own business ?

I have a family member that has a good job that pays very well.
He runs 20-30 head on family land he leases.
I've wanted it, tried to lease it and so on but never got it done, maybe the jealousy part coming out in me.

Anyway he has his trailers with emblems of his brand, caps printed stating so and so cattle co, T-shirts and etc.

It just rubs me wrong for some reason.
It doesn't affect me, but..
Just seems for a guy that leases everything and only runs a handful of cattle, it's kind of overboard.

Truth is he is probably worth a crap ton and could do much more, but is at a comfortable level and doesn't need the money.

Maybe it's sour grapes on my part

Rich guy that loves to see his brand on everything including caps... you're related to Trump!
Jealousy is part of the human condition... that's what I tell myself whenever I look at Melania

Why do you have anymore emotional investment in him than making an observation? If he is doing well, be happy for him. I love to see others do well, family or otherwise.

I don't see anything in the information you provided that is grounds for causing your emotions.

I fell for that it once. I used to run seven or eight pairs on my irrigated pasture for a guy I went to school with and AI them for him while my own cattle were running around with bulls. Along about year #3 he handed me a hat with his brand on it about three days after I went down to put his cattle in after the neighbors called and a week after I went down to pump water since the neighbors called to tell me the cattle were bone dry. It turned out to be my fault when he sold out for not having anywhere to send them when I told him they couldn't come back to my place.

Only you know if it's jealousy or not. I doubt it is though.

I actually feel like I have personally defeated jealousy. I can't take care the little bit I have, like I would like to. To want more seems futile.

Only reason for plastering your name on things is to advertise. If he's not selling seed stock, he probably doesn't need it.

well if anyone wants hats or shirts or anything made just let me know. i know someone who can help you out!

ez14.":229evu5r said:
well if anyone wants hats or shirts or anything made just let me know. i know someone who can help you out!

Set me up.
Cross_7 BTO !
LOL
I really need to change my user name

Bright Raven":1wd23bv4 said:
Why do you have anymore emotional investment in him than making an observation? If he is doing well, be happy for him. I love to see others do well, family or otherwise.

I don't see anything in the information you provided that is grounds for causing your emotions.

You'd think differently if you had neighbors with the last name of Jones.

Could be doing it to skirt doing the DOT logs and yearly physical. I happen to know someone that has there farm name on the side of their truck for that purpose. :D

Could be that its been his life long dream to be a rancher and he can only afford the 30 he has and he's really proud to have been able to purchase what he has. Nothing wrong with leasing ground either. He probably makes more per head paying that lease than others that are purchasing.

I have been told by some of my family "old so in so is bad people. He's just and uppity. Raised on silver spoon." Most of the people I've been told that about are some of the best folks I've met.

True Grit Farms":1xbek75a said:
Could be doing it to skirt doing the DOT logs and yearly physical. I happen to know someone that has there farm name on the side of their truck for that purpose. :D
That's possible. As far as trucking goes I do know if you look like you know what you are doing and your rig is in good shape, usually they won't mess with you. I know this one guy, actually I know him really well, who hauls a lot of loads that require special permits. He keeps his equipment in good shape and has all the oversized load banners and strobe lights and does everything by the book. Sometimes he even forgets to get the permits but he still waves to the law enforcement as he drives by and they know he's a safe heavy hauler.

ohiosteve":32yvex1g said:
True Grit Farms":32yvex1g said:
That's possible. As far as trucking goes I do know if you look like you know what you are doing and your rig is in good shape, usually they won't mess with you. I know this one guy, actually I know him really well, who hauls a lot of loads that require special permits. He keeps his equipment in good shape and has all the oversized load banners and strobe lights and does everything by the book. Sometimes he even forgets to get the permits but he still waves to the law enforcement as he drives by and they know he's a safe heavy hauler.

Steve, when the DOT came out for here for there visual inspection for my DOT numbers - license check, he told me I was a farmer and not a COMMERCIAL fishermen. Being commercial anything can screw you up good when it comes to the DOT. I'm sure you know this already, but being a farmer has sure has made my life a lot simpler.

True Grit Farms":l8o1xqjh said:
ohiosteve":l8o1xqjh said:
True Grit Farms":l8o1xqjh said:

Steve, when the DOT came out for here for there visual inspection for my DOT numbers - license check, he told me I was a farmer and not a COMMERCIAL fishermen. Being commercial anything can screw you up good when it comes to the DOT. I'm sure you know this already, but being a farmer has sure has made my life a lot simpler.
I know exactly what you mean.

From what you said I can't say if you're jealous, envious, resentful, or something else. As far as him renting pasture, you haven't given any indication that he's done anything wrong there. And if he wants to spend money on caps, emblems, etc, that's not hurting you or doing anything wrong that I can tell.

Wow. I been thinking about this Cross. Putting a name sticker on your truck is not a sin.

Fire Sweep gave me a sticker of their brand and I put it on the tailgate of my truck. It was not even mine. Furthermore, my brother sold Black Gold dog food. He gave me one and I stuck it on my bumper. Some people put stickers up without a thought.

Same can be said of ball caps.

I don't think you are jealous, envious, jaded, etc.

I think life for you is getting too boring. :lol:

The problem I have with it is the
" Cattle Co " part.
20-30 head of commercial cattle.
Kind of like a guy calling a 160 acres a ranch.
Years ago another family member paid me with a check " Last name land and cattle"
They had a little of both but not enough to warrant the title IMO

I'd say it's the getting to lease the family land that is getting to you if anything. Leased ground is so dang competitive around here that I've gotten PO'd a time or two and I'm sure jealous another time or two over some deals.

He's got money to burn if he's selling commercial calves and needs branded attire.

Cross-7":157fr7s6 said:
The problem I have with it is the
" Cattle Co " part.
20-30 head of commercial cattle.
Kind of like a guy calling a 160 acres a ranch.

so a doctor that only sees 2 patients a week is not really a doctor ?? or a salesman that only sells one day a week part time is not a salesman. Or a carpenter that only builds bird houses is not a carpenter.

Latest posts