Oilfield​

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":169mie2d said:
Money loves oil and gas. It's not hard to raise it if you have a gimic. There is no other investment like it. Right now the money is begging for places to go. These big money managers don't make their % by having the money sitting idle. No matter if the gimic works or not they get their piece as long as it is moving. It's called the prostitution of money... they are money pimps. They have to keep the money working to get their cut.
Used to call it.. The Deal. "Who's got the deal?"
(some were Billy Sol Estes type deals... )

They can put one in my back yard for all I care as long as the checks keep coming.

Bright Raven":2rq5lxb3 said:
True Grit Farms":2rq5lxb3 said:
Once a Narc - Snitch = a pos for ever.

Grit. Are you the same True Grit that Cow Pollintor was whining about yesterday that I mistreat?

I think your character more than demonstrates that you can dish it out as good as you can take it. So my conscience for mistreating you is clear.

I learned many moons ago, if you can't take it don't dish it out. Commercialfarmer does a good job expressing the way I see things.

M-5":2aumhkio said:
Your right Craig I don't know anything about it and I find it strange that an oil company can just set up on property without any input from land owners. Seems to me if they didn't do what they should you can just shut them down but I guess the money is the root of the problem.

The landowner makes a contract just like anybody else. Some negotiate better contracts than others.

M-5":3typgs0u said:
Your right Craig I don't know anything about it and I find it strange that an oil company can just set up on property without any input from land owners. Seems to me if they didn't do what they should you can just shut them down but I guess the money is the root of the problem.

The mineral owners make a contract with the o&g company basically on the terms of their partnership. There are also environmental rules set by local, state, and federal agencies. All that only works if some one is willing to enforce the terms of the contact or the regulations.

The dicey part is mineral ownership usually trumps surface ownership so the owner of the surface doesn't always get to make the rules.

True Grit Farms":hhdrg6f0 said:
Bright Raven":hhdrg6f0 said:
True Grit Farms":hhdrg6f0 said:
Once a Narc - Snitch = a pos for ever.

Grit. Are you the same True Grit that Cow Pollintor was whining about yesterday that I mistreat?

I think your character more than demonstrates that you can dish it out as good as you can take it. So my conscience for mistreating you is clear.

I learned many moons ago, if you can't take it don't dish it out. Commercialfarmer does a good job expressing the way I see things.

I was just poking at CP that he included you in my list of trespasses. If there is anyone on here tougher than you, I have not picked up on it. More important, I sincerely know you see me as different, and I am. My values are vastly different than yours but I enjoy your participation on the board more than any other user.

Brute 23":e0dg7b8n said:
M-5":e0dg7b8n said:

The mineral owners make a contract with the o&g company basically on the terms of their partnership. There are also environmental rules set by local, state, and federal agencies. All that only works if some one is willing to enforce the terms of the contact or the regulations.

Mineral rights trump surface rights every time.

I once heard an oilman tell someone when he got a landowner to sign a lease, he (the oilman) had more rights on the property than the landowner.

jamoiipic2.jpg

In Kentucky law there was a legal contract that was employed to lease coal mineral rights - called the "Broad Form Deed". Thousands of landowners in Appalachian Kentucky sold their mineral rights under that legal instrument. The deed said the mineral holder had rights to said mineral by " ingress and egress, in, under and through said property to access their mineral holdings". It was said the King of England lacked such Broad authority.

The doctrine of estate severance—allowing separate legal ownership of multiple land
strata—traces back to sixteen and seventeenth English common law that permitted the creation
of "royal mines."11 The King of England was permitted to enter privately owned land to
excavate saltpeper below the surface while maintaining the surface owner's right to the surface
estate.12 English colonists brought the concept of royal mines to America, and, with the onset of
the Industrial Revolution, horizontal severance was utilized by mining companies to access
subsurface minerals.13 By the early twentieth century, horizontal severance was accepted by
jurisdictions across the country

ohiosteve":d4bnxwoc said:
I once heard an oilman tell someone when he got a landowner to sign a lease, he (the oilman) had more rights on the property than the landowner.

During my days with the US Office of Surface Mining, the most extreme case of a mineral holder exercising his rights to coal was in southern Kentucky. The mining company literally mined around every building in a farming community north of London, KY. You could literally step off the porch of the house, walk 100 yards toward the barn and you were looking down a 100 foot high wall. I would give a $100 if I had pictures. It was as if they had built moats around every building.

Bright Raven":1bylczgc said:
ohiosteve":1bylczgc said:

During my days with the US Office of Surface Mining, the most extreme case of a mineral holder exercising his rights to coal was in southern Kentucky. The mining company literally mined around every building in a farming community north of London, KY. You could literally step off the porch of the house, walk 100 yards toward the barn and you were looking down a 100 foot high wall. I would give a $100 if I had pictures. It was as if they had built moats around every building.
I've seen some stone quarrys around like that. Backyard, then 100 ft cliff. There is an old quarry in Columbus Ohio that was turned into a lake with apartments built right on the edge with porches overhanging the water, it is actually pretty awesome.

greybeard":1wowceg8 said:
When much younger I used to think gauger would be a good job to have, but heard one too many stories about gaugers and H²S. That stuff scares the crap out of me.

What H2S

I hate working on that lease. I put a monitor under my bed.

Craig Miller":1wf0x53m said:
greybeard":1wf0x53m said:
When much younger I used to think gauger would be a good job to have, but heard one too many stories about gaugers and H²S. That stuff scares the crap out of me.

What H2S

I hate working on that lease. I put a monitor under my bed.
Yep, when you drive up on a location and there are so many wind indicator pennants strung around that it looks like a used car lot or an early 60s service station, you know it isn't going to be fun.

Not very common but it does happen. 10+ ppm can cause some sickness. Id say unreported sickness is probably around 100%. Headaches and such. We are allowed to work in anything under 10 ppm unrestricted. Above that and we have to wear mask with air tanks. On some wells they set up air systems for us with lines run around the rig. That lease from the picture has the highest h2s we see. The 100000 ppm in the picture is enough to kill you graveyard dead before you have time to finish taking a breath.

If it's present it can quickly be bad Steve. It's the 2nd most toxic substance known to man, only behind Hydrogen Cyanide. Not a lot of fatalities because it's danger is so well known in oil & gas sector.
Lots of people in oilfield country smell it as they drive down the road and say "That smells like MONEY."
I say it smells like death.
At 10ppm, your sense of smell deteriorates or acclimates (olfactory paralysis) and you may think the danger is gone.
That's where one of the dangers lies.

At 30ppm, damage to the blood/brain barrier starts.

This chart, regardless of how it may look, is not linear.
Walk up on 300-500ppm and you're likely on your way to eternity.

0.03 ppm
Can smell. Safe for 8 hours exposure

4 ppm
May cause eye irritation. Mask must be used as it damages metabolism.

10 ppm
Maximum exposure 10 minutes. Kills smell in 3 to 15 minutes. Causes GAS EYE and throat injury. Reacts violently with dental mercury amalgam fillings.

20 ppm
Exposure for more than 1 minute causes severe injury to eye nerves.

30 ppm
Loss of smell, injury to blood brain barrier through olfactory nerves

100 ppm
Respiratory paralysis in 30 to 45 minutes. Needs prompt artificial resuscitation. Will become unconscious quickly (15 minutes maximum)

200 ppm
Serious eye injury and permanent damage to eye nerves. Stings eye and throat.

300 ppm
Loses sense of reasoning and balance. Respiratory paralysis in 30 to 45 minutes

500 ppm
Asphyxia! Needs prompt artificial resuscitation. Will become unconscious in 3 to 5 minutes. Immediate artificial resuscitation is required.

700 ppm
Breathing will stop and death will result if not rescued promptly, immediate unconsciousness. Permanent brain damage may result unless rescued promptly.

All our new stuff is 1, 2, 3%. It's worse when you leave Texas. I have stood right there with our guys when they suited up and walked in to the fog. They hold the meters and we watch them go crazy. That is literally the line between life and death... no questions asked. If you want to end it all take 3 steps forward.

It is highly corrosive also. That well won't be around long at that rate. They become very uneconimical real fast as the production tapers off.

That doesn't sound fun . I notice a lot of guys with detectors around the rigs. Is it more prevalent the deeper you are?

It can be at any depth. Some formations have it and some dont. It can be more prevalant in different locations of the same formation. Example. We are drilling by the Midland airport right now. We do have some h2s but it stays below 5ppm most of the time. On the kimberly lease-less than 10 miles from where we are now- it stays 100+ppm. Thats where we had the 100000ppm. Same formation. Same depths.