Oilfield​

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Oilfield​

Postby greybeard » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

Brute 23 wrote:Money loves oil and gas. It's not hard to raise it if you have a gimic. There is no other investment like it. Right now the money is begging for places to go. These big money managers don't make their % by having the money sitting idle. No matter if the gimic works or not they get their piece as long as it is moving. It's called the prostitution of money... they are money pimps. They have to keep the money working to get their cut.

Used to call it.. The Deal. "Who's got the deal?"
(some were Billy Sol Estes type deals... )

They can put one in my back yard for all I care as long as the checks keep coming.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri May 19, 2017 10:50 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Once a Narc - Snitch = a pos for ever.

Grit. Are you the same True Grit that Cow Pollintor was whining about yesterday that I mistreat?

I think your character more than demonstrates that you can dish it out as good as you can take it. So my conscience for mistreating you is clear.

I learned many moons ago, if you can't take it don't dish it out. Commercialfarmer does a good job expressing the way I see things.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

M-5 wrote:Your right Craig I don't know anything about it and I find it strange that an oil company can just set up on property without any input from land owners. Seems to me if they didn't do what they should you can just shut them down but I guess the money is the root of the problem.

The landowner makes a contract just like anybody else. Some negotiate better contracts than others.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

M-5 wrote:Your right Craig I don't know anything about it and I find it strange that an oil company can just set up on property without any input from land owners. Seems to me if they didn't do what they should you can just shut them down but I guess the money is the root of the problem.

The mineral owners make a contract with the o&g company basically on the terms of their partnership. There are also environmental rules set by local, state, and federal agencies. All that only works if some one is willing to enforce the terms of the contact or the regulations.

The dicey part is mineral ownership usually trumps surface ownership so the owner of the surface doesn't always get to make the rules.
Last edited by Brute 23 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Once a Narc - Snitch = a pos for ever.

Grit. Are you the same True Grit that Cow Pollintor was whining about yesterday that I mistreat?

I think your character more than demonstrates that you can dish it out as good as you can take it. So my conscience for mistreating you is clear.

I learned many moons ago, if you can't take it don't dish it out. Commercialfarmer does a good job expressing the way I see things.

I was just poking at CP that he included you in my list of trespasses. If there is anyone on here tougher than you, I have not picked up on it. More important, I sincerely know you see me as different, and I am. My values are vastly different than yours but I enjoy your participation on the board more than any other user.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

Brute 23 wrote:

The mineral owners make a contract with the o&g company basically on the terms of their partnership. There are also environmental rules set by local, state, and federal agencies. All that only works if some one is willing to enforce the terms of the contact or the regulations.

Mineral rights trump surface rights every time.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 am

I once heard an oilman tell someone when he got a landowner to sign a lease, he (the oilman) had more rights on the property than the landowner.
0 x
Enjoy your life.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am

Last edited by greybeard on Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

In Kentucky law there was a legal contract that was employed to lease coal mineral rights - called the "Broad Form Deed". Thousands of landowners in Appalachian Kentucky sold their mineral rights under that legal instrument. The deed said the mineral holder had rights to said mineral by " ingress and egress, in, under and through said property to access their mineral holdings". It was said the King of England lacked such Broad authority.

The doctrine of estate severance—allowing separate legal ownership of multiple land
strata—traces back to sixteen and seventeenth English common law that permitted the creation
of “royal mines.”11 The King of England was permitted to enter privately owned land to
excavate saltpeper below the surface while maintaining the surface owner’s right to the surface
estate.12 English colonists brought the concept of royal mines to America, and, with the onset of
the Industrial Revolution, horizontal severance was utilized by mining companies to access
subsurface minerals.13 By the early twentieth century, horizontal severance was accepted by
jurisdictions across the country
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

ohiosteve wrote:I once heard an oilman tell someone when he got a landowner to sign a lease, he (the oilman) had more rights on the property than the landowner.

If the mineral owner turns over those rights in the contract, then yes, that can be the case.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am

ohiosteve wrote:I once heard an oilman tell someone when he got a landowner to sign a lease, he (the oilman) had more rights on the property than the landowner.

During my days with the US Office of Surface Mining, the most extreme case of a mineral holder exercising his rights to coal was in southern Kentucky. The mining company literally mined around every building in a farming community north of London, KY. You could literally step off the porch of the house, walk 100 yards toward the barn and you were looking down a 100 foot high wall. I would give a $100 if I had pictures. It was as if they had built moats around every building.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

Bright Raven wrote:

During my days with the US Office of Surface Mining, the most extreme case of a mineral holder exercising his rights to coal was in southern Kentucky. The mining company literally mined around every building in a farming community north of London, KY. You could literally step off the porch of the house, walk 100 yards toward the barn and you were looking down a 100 foot high wall. I would give a $100 if I had pictures. It was as if they had built moats around every building.

I've seen some stone quarrys around like that. Backyard, then 100 ft cliff. There is an old quarry in Columbus Ohio that was turned into a lake with apartments built right on the edge with porches overhanging the water, it is actually pretty awesome.
0 x
Enjoy your life.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 pm

greybeard wrote:When much younger I used to think gauger would be a good job to have, but heard one too many stories about gaugers and H²S. That stuff scares the crap out of me.

What H2S

I hate working on that lease. I put a monitor under my bed.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
greybeard wrote:When much younger I used to think gauger would be a good job to have, but heard one too many stories about gaugers and H²S. That stuff scares the crap out of me.

What H2S

I hate working on that lease. I put a monitor under my bed.

Yep, when you drive up on a location and there are so many wind indicator pennants strung around that it looks like a used car lot or an early 60s service station, you know it isn't going to be fun.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Are deaths or sickness pretty common from H2S ? I heard of a death a few years ago in Ohio
0 x
Enjoy your life.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”