Starting a Small Cattle Operation HELP!

The place to start if you are new!
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Starting a Small Cattle Operation HELP!

Postby greybeard » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Isn't all that area just north of Hearne blackland soil?
Should grow some good grass if the nutrients aren't all leached out from rowcropping.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri May 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Maybe give Jack Boyett a call and see about renting a few more acres?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I agree on shopping the country side. There is a strip east of 35 but before you get close to CS that you can buy some real nice land at a decent price still. Get it quick because with the growth of CS, Waco, and 35 it won't be for long.

greybeard wrote:Isn't all that area just north of Hearne blackland soil?
Should grow some good grass if the nutrients aren't all leached out from rowcropping.

It is but most of those people ride it hard. When that black ground gets dry you will lose a golf ball in the cracks.

I spend some time around Milam, Bell, Falls... even did almost 2 yrs hard time on an Angus Ranch in McLennon. :) I love to chase me to women around there and eat kolaches at Green's. Those people around there can make the kolaches, noodles, dewberry cobblers, etc just like my grandmother use to.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Maybe give Jack Boyett a call and see about renting a few more acres?

https://youtu.be/82E1d-2T0qc
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I agree on shopping the country side. There is a strip east of 35 but before you get close to CS that you can buy some real nice land at a decent price still.

I'm not disagreeing at all, but that 26 acres close to Calvert for $90,000 doesn't sound too bad. He can head south on Highway 6 until he gets close to Navasota and those same 26 acres will cost him well over twice that much. I know of 11 acres of bald open prairie about two miles off the highway, with no improvements whatsoever and fence only on one side, that recently sold for $13,000 per acre, and the lady probably could have listed it with a realtor and gotten more.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I agree on shopping the country side. There is a strip east of 35 but before you get close to CS that you can buy some real nice land at a decent price still.

I'm not disagreeing at all, but that 26 acres close to Calvert for $90,000 doesn't sound too bad. He can head south on Highway 6 until he gets close to Navasota and those same 26 acres will cost him well over twice that much. I know of 11 acres of bald open prairie about two miles off the highway, with no improvements whatsoever and fence only on one side, that recently sold for $13,000 per acre, and the lady probably could have listed it with a realtor and gotten more.

Still pretty reasonable around here.
http://www.mmoffett.com/html/ranch.html
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 am

Brute 23 wrote:I agree on shopping the country side. There is a strip east of 35 but before you get close to CS that you can buy some real nice land at a decent price still. Get it quick because with the growth of CS, Waco, and 35 it won't be for long.

greybeard wrote:Isn't all that area just north of Hearne blackland soil?

It is but most of those people ride it hard. When that black ground gets dry you will lose a golf ball in the cracks.

I spend some time around Milam, Bell, Falls... even did almost 2 yrs hard time on an Angus Ranch in McLennon. :) I love to chase me to women around there and eat kolaches at Green's. Those people around there can make the kolaches, noodles, dewberry cobblers, etc just like my grandmother use to.

Green's has some of the best Kolaches around. Love to stop in when out that way. They serve a darn good burger too. Now you got me craving Kolaches.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:05 am

Rafter S wrote:

Your right, its not.
0 x

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sun May 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Lots of good advice this thread. Sorry to say I have learned a bunch of the lessons offered here the hard way.
When folks on the board say it is tough to make money at cattle it is not empty griping. There are so many expenses expected and otherwise involved in keeping cattle healthy, fat and bred. Farm and equipment maintanance eats money as well.
I have 38 acres that is blackland ex-row crop about 50 minutes away from Round Rock that my son and I run a small herd on. With about 15 total head - cows, bull and calves - we have to throw round bales and supplement quite a bit over the year to keep them in good flesh. Rainfall varies a bunch from year to year and so does the cost of hay. For us having a decent bull is much less work and expense than doing AI.
IMO the only way to make any money at cows at the small end of the scale is to have really low input costs - lots of grassland that is stocked at a level with some buffer and paid for equipment. The guy in front of me leases 100 acres that he partially row crops and he has maybe 10 head of cattle on the rest. He hauls a crop of calves off every year or so and the lease cost is the extent of his inputs on the cows that I can see.
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Tue May 23, 2017 1:31 pm

^ What he said we've learned pretty much all the lessons the hard way. If you live in round rock I'd be looking hard at mart and mexia for land. The properties are larger up there and if you hunt around you can get pretty close to paying $2000 an acre. It's where we're looking to expand when the time comes for us to buy another piece. Coupland is to expensive now.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Ill say it bluntly... there are some very poor counties in that area because they are predominately agriculture with out any O&G production... you can get good deals on land. That should also tell you about what to expect in the money department from raising cattle.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”