Johnson grass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Johnson grass

Postby callmefence » Fri May 19, 2017 6:36 am

Texasmark wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:The hay ground is planted in hay grazer
It's mostly around the edges and around the fence, especially in places next to ditches next to the road.
I wanted to spot spray it to keep it from spreading.

Interesting. My hay patch essentially started with none several years ago and today is getting to be significant. I plant sorghum sudan cross but welcome JG. If it keeps spreading, which it seems to be doing, I'll make a crop out of it rather than the SS.

For what it's worth, the JG you see growing wild is no where near what you get under fertilization. I did Austrian Winter Peas in my hay patch this past winter and incorporated them into the soil. The JG growing alongside my SS is outproducing it and has already headed out. If I had a full field of it my baler would be out rolling and I'd be waiting for the second cutting.

Prussic acid is a (plant) stress produced nuisance which dissipates in baled hay. Problems with it occur when grazing stressed plants which are actively growing. TAMU ag. extension has papers defining the problem, and all the hows and whys. Check them on the www. I have been farming this place for about 40 years, JG and SS always part of the program, lots of hay, have yet to kill one of my cows, or even have one down with it.

I 've tried crabgrass for a volunteer summer crop on my oat pasture. It was a total failure it just doesn't like my rocky clay. I 've been considering buying Johnson grass seed and planting the fields. I think the Johnson grass would come in on its own right behind the oats every year without ever starting a tractor.
As long as you let it make seed before frost.
I agree anyone scared of prusic acid needs to do the research. It's really a common sense deal and when conditions are perfect it can occur in any grass.

http://www.brownwoodnews.com/tifton-85- ... to-cattle/
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 am

callmefence wrote:
I 've tried crabgrass for a volunteer summer crop on my oat pasture. It was a total failure it just doesn't like my rocky clay. I 've been considering buying Johnson grass seed and planting the fields. I think the Johnson grass would come in on its own right behind the oats every year without ever starting a tractor.
I agree anyone scared of prusic acid needs to do the research. It's really a common sense deal and when conditions are perfect it can occur in any grass.

I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 19, 2017 7:57 am

1982vett wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.

The same way we do with haygrazer. Cut or graze and disc it in. Field is worked in the fall and spring. The idea is to make the warm weather crop volunteered. Often done with crabgrass

Please continue. your opinion is valued.
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:
callmefence wrote:

The same way we do with haygrazer. Cut or graze and disc it in. Field is worked in the fall and spring. The idea is to make the warm weather crop volunteered. Often done with crabgrass

Please continue. your opinion is valued.

Yup, cut it for hay and you can no-till oats in right on top of it. With some moisture and a good drill you could probably drill it in, or maybe even some jumbo rye.

I deer hunt a Johnson grass hay field. When I want oats I just no-till it in. I've disked it a few times but it wasn't worth the work.

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.

............ or maybe even some jumbo rye.

I have 10 bags of Jumbo Rye that I was going to plant this year but things didn't work out that way. I planted it last year and it really made a nice crop. They'll keep. If the Sugar Cane Aphids move back up here this year and threaten my sorghum sudan, I'll do winter peas again and then come back with Jumbo next year.

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:I'm trying to get my head around getting a crop of oats growing in a stand of Johnson grass in the fall.

............ or maybe even some jumbo rye.

I have 10 bags of Jumbo Rye that I was going to plant this year but things didn't work out that way. I planted it last year and it really made a nice crop. They'll keep. If the Sugar Cane Aphids move back up here this year and threaten my sorghum sudan, I'll do winter peas again and then come back with Jumbo next year. Gotta keep them guessing. Don't want them getting established and crop rotation is a way to do that besides being good for the soil.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”