Some Murray Grey Calves

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Some Murray Grey Calves

Postby Backbone Ranch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 pm

It has been relatively dry here for the past 6 weeks or so. We got no substantial rain in February, but we have been blessed to get an inch of rain this week with more in the forecast for Sunday. The grass was starting to green up, but was not very tall. It should really start growing here in the next handful of weeks. Calving season started for us on February 24th this year, even though the first calf was not officially due till March 3rd. So far, we have 10 bull calves and 7 heifer calves on the ground with 11 more to go. Three of the bull calves and two of the heifers are AI sired and the remainder are sired by our herd bull, BB Uncle Tony. I thought that I would share some photos of the first calves of the year for us.
701 Bull- Pictured here at 18 days of age. He was 80 lbs at birth and is sired by BB Uncle Tony.

704 Heifer- Pictured here at 13 days of age. She was 84 lbs at birth and is sired by Balmoral Elation, an Australian bull that was born in the late 1970s. This heifer's mother is a full sibling to our herd bull, BB Uncle Tony, and comes from a line of very productive cows. I am excited to see how she grows out. She is quite docile and is already coming up to me in the pasture and allows me to scratch her behind the ears.

707 Bull- This bull calf is pictured at 17 days of age. He too is sired by Tony and was 78 lbs at birth. His dam is a 9 year old cow who has produced some great calves in the past. I am really excited to see how he grows out.

708 Heifer- This heifer is just 8 days old. She is out of our biggest cow who consistently throws heavier calves. This is another Tony calf, but she was 100 lbs at birth at 288 days gestation. Last year, when bred to a different bull, her mother had a 98 lb heifer. I really like the femininity and thickness that this heifer is already showing.

709 Bull- This bull is another calf sired by Balmoral Elation. He was 82 lbs at birth, and is already growing faster than the other calves. He is pictured here at 17 days of age.

710 Heifer- This heifer is a daughter of Tony, pictured at 5 days of age. She had a 68 lb birth weight and is out of an 11 year old cow. We have retained both of her full siblings from the past two years, one of which, will be our heifer bull and potential herd sire.

And for reference, Balmoral Elation and BB Uncle Tony are show below. Balmoral Elation is the top bull and is pictured at 3 years of age, weighing in at 2,660 lbs. Tony is the second bull and is pictured as a 4 year old. This photo was taken last May.
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Some Murray Grey Calves

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Looking good. As always :clap:
Last edited by RanchMan90 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fasttommy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Dang. Nice looking calves.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 pm

As always impressive! Those are some nice calves.

gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

crossbredcalves
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby crossbredcalves » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 am

Your cattle always impress me. The calves look really good.
You don't scare me. I teach.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am

good to see your calves and you again.. they're all looking like dandies! That 709 bull has a nice stance to him
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Nice calves. It's always a nice treat to see calves where you can just look at their head and know if it's a heifer or a bull, a sign of good hormonal balance, even at a young age.

What is the FS on Elation? He looks like a gigantic bull...
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:25 pm

They look really nice! Has that Golden boy heifer calved yet?

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Good looking calves....thanks for sharing.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 am

WalnutCrest wrote:Nice calves. It's always a nice treat to see calves where you can just look at their head and know if it's a heifer or a bull, a sign of good hormonal balance, even at a young age.

What is the FS on Elation? He looks like a gigantic bull...

I appreciate the feedback everybody! Balmoral Elation is a frame score 8. He is a larger bull than we would like, but he goes back to some of the best Murray Grey bulls of his time and he has had a tremendous impact on our herd. Most of our cows go back to him at least 3 or 4 times; even though he is often 6 or more generations back, he makes up around 20% of the genetic composition of many individuals in our herd. He was born in the late 1970s and was later imported to Texas. He was at one point used by the Michaelong Murray Grey stud, owned by the Sutherlands, the founding family of the breed. Elation came highly recommended from an Australian Murray Grey breeder that I keep in touch with. So far, I am really liking his daughter; she seems to get deeper and wider every day. His bull calves do not look as good as Tony's currently, but that may change with time.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 pm

frieghttrain wrote:They look really nice! Has that Golden boy heifer calved yet?

The Golden Boy heifer just turned two last month, and she is still one of the nicest of that age group. She is currently bred to Tony and is due to calve in late September or early October.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 pm

I was able to get a handful of pictures the past couple days of a few more of the calves, so I thought that I would update this thread.
This was our first calf of the year. She was born two weeks before her due date and weighed 62 lbs at birth. She is an AI sired calf and out of a bull named JOPA Elation Power. She is pictured here at 6 weeks of age. Her sire, JOPA Elation Power, is pictured below as a 3 year old. A lot of our herd goes back to him.

This is a bull calf that just turned a month old when this photo was taken. He was 76 lbs at birth and is sired by our herd bull, BB Uncle Tony. His dam is a 6 year old cow that is very easy keeping.

This bull calf is another Tony son, pictured at 27 days of age. He had a 72 lb birth weight. His dam is a 4 year old who has a lot of width to her and a great udder.

This is a heifer calf sired by Tony. She is pictured here at 5 days of age and had a 74 lb birth weight. Her dam is a 8 year old who has produced some really nice bulls in the past. Her bull calf last year was one of the heaviest calves.

I think that this bull calf may have what it takes to be a bull prospect. He is pictured here at just 14 days of age. His sire is Tony and his dam is a 4 1/2 year old cow who is very easy keeping and has a great udder. This bull calf already has a lot of width to him. His birth weight was 86 lbs.

This photo shows a 7 year old cow with her 10 day old Tony daughter. This heifer was 78 lbs at birth. This cow is the grandmother of the 715 bull pictured above.

That's all the pictures for now. We still have a handful of cows left to calve. We had a few that did not take by AI last year, but they should be calving in the next two weeks or so.

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:40 am

Impressive! Good looking set of cattle! I've always been intrigued by the breed!
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 am

Looking good as always! Always interesting to see your photos.

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:04 am

There is no way in be nice 709 would lose his nuts.

Return to “Breeds Board”