Entertainment World

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Entertainment World

Postby cowboy43 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am

Why is the news media so engrossed in entertainment ? Is the general public so shallow minded that is all they want to hear, I do not think so , the working people are busy making a living trying to support their family , they do not care about what happens in the entertainment world. If another movie or tv show was never produced it would be fine with me. It seems to be a way to brain wash the weak minded into their way of thinking.

Bestoutwest
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Entertainment World

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:48 am

Smoke and mirrors to entertain the masses. Plus, people genuinely care because either they're living vicariously through them, or they're told to care so they do. One of the local radio stations devotes at least 15 minutes a day to it, but absolutely no political/world/etc news. It's baffling why people care so much..
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 am

cowboy43 wrote:Why is the news media so engrossed in entertainment ? Is the general public so shallow minded that is all they want to hear, I do not think so , the working people are busy making a living trying to support their family , they do not care about what happens in the entertainment world. If another movie or tv show was never produced it would be fine with me. It seems to be a way to brain wash the weak minded into their way of thinking.

If another "reality show" was never produced I'd be happy. It's getting ridiculous.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I disagree. I think a large number of Americans live and die for Hollowood.

I don't and you don't. "They" do. It kills me when some empty headed lamebrain next to me on an airplane is reading People magazine. I just want to whisper (scream) in their ear, "Why do you care?"
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:07 am

HDRider wrote:I disagree. I think a large number of Americans live and die for Hollowood.

I don't and you don't. "They" do. It kills me when some empty headed lamebrain next to me on an airplane is reading People magazine. I just want to whisper (scream) in their ear, "Why do you care?"

I will fess up! My mother gets me a People mag subscription every year. :hide: The only time I read it is when I'm on my elliptical machine in the basement. It's my guilty treat for working out. I skip over the parts I don't care about, but read the human interest stories (small-town heros, families who adopted a passel of foster kids, stories on cops who saved someone, a dog who saved someone, etc), and the book/movie/music reviews. It makes the time pass while I'm torturing myself.
I HATE reality tv though. Well, I used to watch Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch, if those count! I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it bit me (and it just might!).
Ok, now y'all have to admit to your (G-rated) Guilty Pleasures, since I've confessed! :D

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 am

boondocks wrote:
HDRider wrote:I disagree. I think a large number of Americans live and die for Hollowood.

I will fess up! My mother gets me a People mag subscription every year. :hide: The only time I read it is when I'm on my elliptical machine in the basement. It's my guilty treat for working out. I skip over the parts I don't care about, but read the human interest stories (small-town heros, families who adopted a passel of foster kids, stories on cops who saved someone, a dog who saved someone, etc), and the book/movie/music reviews. It makes the time pass while I'm torturing myself.
I HATE reality tv though. Well, I used to watch Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch, if those count! I wouldn't know a Kardashian if it bit me (and it just might!).
Ok, now y'all have to admit to your (G-rated) Guilty Pleasures, since I've confessed! :D

Cattle Today is about all the fun I can handle. It's been 11 years since we've had TV, and somehow were still surviving. The weirdos are doing their best to make US of A a third world country.
Cows are good, more cows are better.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:36 am

Boondocks,... i find even shows based on actual reality like Ice road truckers, Highway thru h3ll, etc are FAR overdramatised to the point it's stupid... They keep pointing out how dangerous stuff is, when it's evident, and also when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the danger... So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

True grit.. I've never owned a TV.. if there's a show worth watching that comes well enough recommended I'll download it...
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 am

Nesikep wrote:Boondocks,... i find even shows based on actual reality like Ice road truckers, Highway thru h3ll, etc are FAR overdramatised to the point it's stupid... They keep pointing out how dangerous stuff is, when it's evident, and also when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the danger... So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

True grit.. I've never owned a TV.. if there's a show worth watching that comes well enough recommended I'll download it...

Nesi, are you near the road they feature in Highway Thru H3LL? The Coquihalla?
I hear what you're saying that the risks are pretty evident (especially the Coq in winter), so why don't those truckers chain up? Boggles my mind...Mayhem ensues because they don't chain up (and of course sometimes even if they do)
Some of the shows like the above I've liked for the scenery as much as anything!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 am

Yeah, Coquihalla highway is about 2 hours from here to either end of it.. In a few episodes they went up to Lytton, which is 28 miles from me.

I don't get it either.. and commercial vehicles aren't required to have designated winter tires like passenger vehicles are.. which boggles my mind.. Chains on the truck, and winter tires of the trailers would go a long way in preventing jack knifing that you see all over the place...
On the other hand it makes for "entertainment"

Have you seen the spin-off show Heavy Rescue 401? that's closer to your neck of the woods.. doesn't look any better there either though
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:21 am

Did everyone see how quick this thread went from condemning the entertainment world to a discussion of some of the very things we all profess to hate?!

Don't do much flying but some places I go "People" magazine is the heaviest reading in the waiting room rack.
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 am

Hogans Hero's, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and I love Lucy was some real TV, last I knew folks were watching crap like the Simpsons.
Cows are good, more cows are better.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:16 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Hogans Hero's, All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and I love Lucy was some real TV, last I knew folks were watching crap like the Simpsons.

Don;t forget F Troop and Green Acres
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Farm Fence Solutions
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:29 am

We have a TV, but gave up on network/dish years ago. There are some really good channels on YouTube, and it's free, so it fits our budget. Just like it is for most of you, it's usually seven days a week of before sunrise to after sunset around here, so not much time for the TV.......BUT we do keep up with S/V Delos on YouTube, even though we aren't sailors. They do quite a bit of diving, and that is something I've enjoyed since I was a kid. We did buy an Amazon Firestick for the TV, which is handier than keeping a computer plugged in.
Our 8 year old asked for a video game for Christmas this year, so we went cheap and got her the gaming controller for the Firestick and downloaded a couple of games. Just as I suspected, she played with it while her cousins were here, and went back to snowballs and mud pies as soon as they left. We are lucky to have a well behaved kid, with perfect grades, that has discovered working and saving money are kinda fun.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:51 am

Nesikep wrote: So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

The closest thing to reality TV I watch is The Red Green Show.............. :hide:
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 am

boondocks wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Boondocks,... i find even shows based on actual reality like Ice road truckers, Highway thru h3ll, etc are FAR overdramatised to the point it's stupid... They keep pointing out how dangerous stuff is, when it's evident, and also when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the danger... So my guilty pleasures? Well.. Married with Children was some old gold... Watch a few cop shows.. NCIS and the likes.

Nesi, are you near the road they feature in Highway Thru H3LL? The Coquihalla?
I hear what you're saying that the risks are pretty evident (especially the Coq in winter), so why don't those truckers chain up? Boggles my mind...Mayhem ensues because they don't chain up (and of course sometimes even if they do)
Some of the shows like the above I've liked for the scenery as much as anything!

It's what the get paid to do. Producers wouldn't have the show they want.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Coffee Shop”