black buzzards, any other ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1rrdye6k said:
City Guy":1rrdye6k said:
Couple of "absolutely no experience" observations:
I thought vultures only ate carrion--guess I'm wrong.
What about mob grazing (you all know I'm a big fan) There is safety in numbers.
Calve in spring (you all know I abhor winter calving) There is plenty of easier-to-kill wildlife available.
And what is SSS?
These are not the usual turkey vultures, they are black buzzards/vulture aka Mexican Eagle.
SSS Shoot Shovel Shutup
I have no direct experience with them, just what others have said. But it appears it isn;t just a winter problem.

These were setting in a couple trees, by our creek, a wooded area.

M-5":3c205bbx said:
I baffles me that I can kill a deer clean it and haul off the carcass to a spot where I have never dumped one and within 2 hrs the turkey vultures will have found it.
They have a real good sense of smell. I put a recently dead armadillo in a deep gallberry thicket one time and buzzards were all over it the next day. No way they spied it, had to be from the scent.

You folks worried about proper permits or whatever, you do not need a permit to shoot animals killing or threatening your calves or other livestock.

City Guy":3vq5m6rh said:
Couple of "absolutely no experience" observations:
I thought vultures only ate carrion--guess I'm wrong.
What about mob grazing (you all know I'm a big fan) There is safety in numbers.
Calve in spring (you all know I abhor winter calving) There is plenty of easier-to-kill wildlife available.
And what is SSS?

Shoot, shovel, shut up.

Do not have any problems with buzzards as the Brahman cows will keep the buzzards away even from Hereford and limousine calves : friend of a friend grandfather ( think he passed away 4-5 years ago ) would make a round pen out of 5-6 cattle panels and bait it ; buzzard would land in it but did not have enough room to run to get a takeoff : said it was like being at a turkey shoot ........ that is what he claims ....can not ask him personally as he died 4-5 years ago they say lol

permit scmermit...sss....if there is even a remote chance it might cost me time or money Ill kill it...I aint in it for fun

I have NO PROBLEM with killing them. I was only saying about the permit because even the "authorities" are realizing they are one of the worst things to invade our skies. But we were told here that "TECHNICALLY" they are protected and cannot be shot/killed in any manner due to that law that protects all raptors, etc. Like we cannot legally shoot an eagle or a hawk or an owl etc and so on. I have hesitated on getting rid of that *#@*# eagle since they microchip them here when they started re-introducing them. Don't need to wind up under the jail, but I am d***d sick of them into the chickens all the time, and I don't know if this is a young one or a chipped one. So I try to "scare" him off whenever I see him...Them buzzards don't scare when they are on a mission....and I don't try to scare them off if I am in the truck and "equipped" .

They also seem to communicate with each other or something. One was involved in a serious accident here today. I'm going to mark it on the calendar, and see how long before they show back up. When they witness an accident like that, seems like they become very safety oriented for a while.

farmerjan":3k3vc9da said:
But we were told here that "TECHNICALLY" they are protected and cannot be shot/killed in any manner due to that law that protects all raptors, etc. Like we cannot legally shoot an eagle or a hawk or an owl etc and so on.

You can take them if they are needed for a native religious ceremony. ;-)