Wagyu f1 using black angus

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Wagyu f1 using black angus

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:"twisted legs" I suppose would sort of describe it.

ABS Genetic Defect Information

TH is a disorder of multiple congenital defects seen in calves. Translated, the name refers to absence of all or part of the tibia (tibia = the bone between the knee and ankle in humans or the stifle and hock in cattle and hemimelia = absence of all or part of a limb). But TH encompasses more defects that the name implies. TH is lethal, as the calf may be born dead, but if not dead the condition is incompatible with life. These valves have large abdominal hernias (weakening of the abdominal muscles that allows intestinal contents to bulge out), twisted legs sometimes with absent or deformed bones.

Backhoe, I don't think what you experienced was TH. TH affected calves are almost always born dead, and those that are not will not be helped by splinting. The hernia mentioned is also unmistakable, their bellies look like they swallowed a basket ball. The cow is usually a casualty as well in TH positive matings. The defect is thanks to a specific bull in the shorthorn breed, an as far as I'm aware, has yet to be found in the Wagyu breed.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:27 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:

TH is a disorder of multiple congenital defects seen in calves. Translated, the name refers to absence of all or part of the tibia (tibia = the bone between the knee and ankle in humans or the stifle and hock in cattle and hemimelia = absence of all or part of a limb). But TH encompasses more defects that the name implies. TH is lethal, as the calf may be born dead, but if not dead the condition is incompatible with life. These valves have large abdominal hernias (weakening of the abdominal muscles that allows intestinal contents to bulge out), twisted legs sometimes with absent or deformed bones.

Backhoe, I don't think what you experienced was TH. TH affected calves are almost always born dead, and those that are not will not be helped by splinting. The hernia mentioned is also unmistakable, their bellies look like they swallowed a basket ball. The cow is usually a casualty as well in TH positive matings. The defect is thanks to a specific bull in the shorthorn breed, an as far as I'm aware, has yet to be found in the Wagyu breed.

Nice to know. Front legs and shoulders were twisted and distorted. I think genetic because it was more than one calf.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:

Nice to know. Front legs and shoulders were twisted and distorted. I think genetic because it was more than one calf.

Backhoe, maybe it was just a case of matings causing calves that were too big for the womb? I would wonder about the service sire.... It reminds me of a appy mare we had back in the day. She was super pretty headed and clean made for an appy foaled in the early 80's, but she was tiny too. No matter what stallion she was bred to, she always went 11 months and 1 day on gestation. Her foals were always huge, no matter the gender, and some had structure issues in the front legs that caused issues when they got into their 20s. She just did not have room for the foal she insisted she carry past term every time!
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

whitecow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby whitecow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 pm

The black steers in these pictures are fullblood Wagyu. The gray and chocolate colored steers are Wagyu x Charolais F1. We have fed and harvested around 200 fullblood and F1 Wagyu over the last several years. As others have said, you can't take them to the local sale barn and make a living but there definitely is a place for them - direct marketing beef, selling to a Wagyu feeder at a premium price. They are slower growing but they eventually get there - with plenty of rear end.

I had a hard time looking at the fullbloods at first. I started by breeding our Char heifers to Wagyu bulls for the extreme calving ease. Those F1s looked like real cows. The resulting beef was the best I had ever tasted. It was so good that I bought a bunch of fullbloods. Seriously, after tasting the beef, I didn't care what they looked like - I wanted more of them. Best decision I have ever made.
0 x

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:38 pm

cfpinz wrote:Most conversations regarding wagyu start off with something along the lines of: "Well they look like sh*t, but..."

That is true, they look like crap on the outside but.... they look delicious on the inside. :cboy:

0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

gaurus - those steaks are beyond belief... I'm at a loss for words! WOW
0 x

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Son of Butch wrote:gaurus - those steaks are beyond belief... I'm at a loss for words! WOW

They come from Matsuzaka Wagyu 4-5 year old virgin cows, cows produced the most marbling followed by steers, but on Matsuzaka they only produce Tajima Black Cows for the beef industry(they don't breed any cattle in Matsuzaka, they purchased the Heifers at the Hyogo Prefecture).

0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 am

gaurus wrote:
They come from Matsuzaka Wagyu 4-5 year old virgin cows,

Genius!
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:50 am

gaurus wrote:
cfpinz wrote:Most conversations regarding wagyu start off with something along the lines of: "Well they look like sh*t, but..."

That is true, they look like crap on the outside but.... they look delicious on the inside. :cboy:

Looks like fatty brisket to me. Isn;t something I would want to eat. I want marbling with my meat not a little meat with my marbling
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 am

dun wrote:Looks like fatty brisket to me. Isn;t something I would want to eat. I want marbling with my meat not a little meat with my marbling

Be curious to throw one on the grill and see how much it melts - before and after weights would be interesting.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Dun,
I agree that looks like too much of a good thing. The "muscle" almost looks like pork it is so pink.. I would not eat something like that.
0 x

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 am

cfpinz wrote:I want marbling with my meat not a little meat with my marbling

As one of my friend would say That is "Fat Marbled with Beef", I have been told that you can only eat about 1/4 of a pound at most before the flavor is too much.. I am fattening up a Jersey steer to taste the "buttery beef" flavor people say they produce... :cboy:
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 am

I dont care if it looks like dog be nice on a stick if theyre paying 15k a carcass.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 am

Think I want a little more beef with my fat too. But as SD says, if they are paying that good a price...

I really like my jersey beef, they are a little "sweeter" tasting beef and if finished do get a fair amount of marbling and I always find them to be tender.
0 x

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23 am

farmerjan wrote:I really like my jersey beef, they are a little "sweeter" tasting beef and if finished do get a fair amount of marbling and I always find them to be tender.

Do you have a picture of a Jersey beef cut showing how they marble? I’ve been told they are the second most marbling breed second only to Wagyu... :cboy:
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”