Backgrounding COG ?

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Backgrounding COG ?

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 am

Stocker Steve wrote:We have very heavy deer density in some of our pastures. Folks will buy a small patch of woods that borders farm ground and then appoint themselves trophy hunters. They pass on does which the deer quickly learn to appreciate. Thus the small patch of woods becomes the bedroom for a herd of deer, who enjoy "free" food plots from the neighboring farmer.

My regular hunting bunch is a mix of guys that just love venison in any form, so everything goes. The 90 year old grandfather loves his tender fat fawns and takes one every year. The middle-aged guys want volume and quality, so they go hard on the does. I let the surrounding neighbors weed out the bucks.

There is a 10 acre chunk of woods, not mine, across the road from the house that the deer think is great spot to bed down, and then eat my grass. Works well because I get a count on numbers, easy to bait and just have hunters put their blind 50' from the bait pile. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:16 am

i'm in the middle of corn country and they are nuts here.. they want 300+/ ton for a very basic 90% corn / 10% 4044 or whatever they said.. crap is what i call it.

best i've found is 1 hour south i can get a 11% cow feed for 240/ton..

insane.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 am

ddd75 wrote:i'm in the middle of corn country and they are nuts here.. they want 300+/ ton for a very basic 90% corn / 10% 4044 or whatever they said.. crap is what i call it.

insane.

I'd be curious what kind of gain, if any, that you get out of feed that is that cheap. And good feed down this way is a little over $300 fob.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

TexasBred wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i'm in the middle of corn country and they are nuts here.. they want 300+/ ton for a very basic 90% corn / 10% 4044 or whatever they said.. crap is what i call it.

insane.

I'd be curious what kind of gain, if any, that you get out of feed that is that cheap. And good feed down this way is a little over $300 fob.

I'll get a tag when I get home. It's just a commodity mix of cottonseed hulls, ddg, soy hulls, wheat midds, and rumensin with 4% fat. It was 190 in the fall but I didn't contract it. What mix do you recommend for maximum gains on lightweight cattle?
We don't rent pigs ~ Augustus McCrae

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

insane.

I'll get a tag when I get home. It's just a commodity mix of cottonseed hulls, ddg, soy hulls, wheat midds, and rumensin with 4% fat. It was 190 in the fall but I didn't contract it. What mix do you recommend for maximum gains on lightweight cattle?

The Rumensin will increase feed utilization but it's all by-products. Almost zero starches and probably 20% fiber or more on the tag. Looks like it would be awfully bulky and fill them up quickly.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Ojp6
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ojp6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm

I know of a guy in East Tennessee selling a 14% feed for 160 a ton delivered within 30 miles of his place. I know the top two ingredients in it are cracked corn and gluten pellets. He grows the corn and he lives within 5 miles of the plant he gets the gluten from.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom - Dwight Eisenhower

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Ojp6 wrote:I know of a guy in East Tennessee selling a 14% feed for 160 a ton delivered within 30 miles of his place. I know the top two ingredients in it are cracked corn and gluten pellets. He grows the corn and he lives within 5 miles of the plant he gets the gluten from.

He could certainly do it under those circumstances. Must be a might good fella selling it that cheap when he could get twice that for it.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Image Here's the tag. The calves average 357 lbs and I'm feeding them 8.3 lbs daily along with free choice hay and mineral. What am I missing?
We don't rent pigs ~ Augustus McCrae

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 am

I just got a load of 3 way mix delivered. Cracked corn, soy pellets and corn gluten. What would the protein value be on it. We're feeding it to some replacement heifers and a few steers before we ship them. Got it for $180 a ton delivered.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 am

TexasBred wrote:

insane.

i think its pretty expensive when corn is at 3.50 / bu for top rate corn.. this is 'damaged' corn they are discounting the grain farmers on when they bring it in.. they are only paying the farmer about 130 / ton.. and then try to hit me at 300/ton for it?

I need to buy a mixer and just buy it from my neighbor who has 5 huge storage bins... need to figure out a setup like that to take advantage... he'd be all smiles if he got 4.00/bu out of it i'd imagine.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Image Here's the tag. The calves average 357 lbs and I'm feeding them 8.3 lbs daily along with free choice hay and mineral. What am I missing?

i don't think your missing anything. looks like a good deal!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:14 pm

ddd75 wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Image Here's the tag. The calves average 357 lbs and I'm feeding them 8.3 lbs daily along with free choice hay and mineral. What am I missing?

i don't think your missing anything. looks like a good deal!

Sky high on the fiber and very high recommended feeding rate. Any idea what the TDN is on an as fed basis? Don't see Rumensin mentioned. Should be disclosed of inclusion amount along with a warning for avoiding feeding it to equines.

Return to “Feedyard Board”