fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Just a fence story

Talking with my last great uncle in the cafe this morning. He told me about a story about his dad and older brothers building fence with a couple of Mexican hands that lived on the place. They had a horse trained to stretch barb wire. The horse would ease up real slow and easy and hold. For whatever the reason he couldn't remember, they where using a different horse one day.
The wire broke and the horse spooked. The barbwire got around one of those Mexicans and he got drug, ended up dying. Said they just took him out and buried him. He's either on my place or my cousins place. Nobody's sure.
That makes three I know of dying working this place.

Darn, Andy. What happened to the other two?

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
Just a fence story

Talking with my last great uncle in the cafe this morning. He told me about a story about his dad and older brothers building fence with a couple of Mexican hands that lived on the place. They had a horse trained to stretch barb wire. The horse would ease up real slow and easy and hold. For whatever the reason he couldn't remember, they where using a different horse one day.
The wire broke and the horse spooked. The barbwire got around one of those Mexicans and he got drug, ended up dying. Said they just took him out and buried him. He's either on my place or my cousins place. Nobody's sure.

Lol
Had a cousin killed when he fell off a maintainer. Which I still have. I was pretty young. Don't remember much about it.

And had a friend killed last year in a round bales accident.

callmefence said:
sstterry said:
callmefence said:
Just a fence story

Lol
Had a cousin killed when he fell off a maintainer. Which I still have. I was pretty young. Don't remember much about it.

And had a friend killed last year in a round baler accident.

It's a beltec spiral cut auger. Carbide bullet teeth. The down pressure is enough to easily lift the back tires of our 50 horse tractor off the ground. And sometimes it'll pick up the 85 if it's sitting just right. When needed you use the fel to shift more weight to the back.

Any idea on how best to proceed with an old fence like this? It's about 300 yards between my neighbor and my property. The fence wire is OK on some spots and toasted in others. I'd like to prop it up for the sake of expediency.

libertygarden said:
Any idea on how best to proceed with an old fence like this? It's about 300 yards between my neighbor and my property. The fence wire is OK on some spots and toasted in others. I'd like to prop it up for the sake of expediency.

start planting T posts and hanging wire, splice in new where you need it. it seems to be mostly standing, better than some I need to work on. LOL

wherever you need them to prop it up. every so far you might need to tighten some wires, choose a bad spot to cut out and splice the ends together. we do this on our 100 year old fences all the time. replace heavy rotten wood posts with steel, leave lighter ones as stays. splice in new wire or even run a whole roll if the old wire is totally trashed. new wood stays if the old wire is real rusty, otherwise twisted wire stays. function over looks can save some money if you have the time.

libertygarden said:
I need to convert my come along to a single pull with a chain. Why do you use 6 strands? Customer request?

https://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-PowR-Pull-144S-6-Capacity/dp/B00004Y68W

Best fence building come along made. 1ton 12' single 3/16 cable. Buy you a couple and thank me later.

I don't hardly do anything less than 6 and alot of 7 and 8. It doesn't take that much more than 5.
Leave around 8 - 12 inches of the ground and about a 61/2 inch spacing. Will hold cattle as good as any netwire and doesn't interfere with wildlife like netwire.

libertygarden said:

Stretch you five new wires right over it. It'll be easier than patching.

Latest posts