Your perfect farm would be?

The place to start if you are new!

Your perfect farm would be?

Postby momt5 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

If you could begin a small cattle farm from scratch on 100 acres what would your farm look like?

My husband and I are considering purchasing a farm in the next 2-3 years and we would like to raise up to 50 heads per year. So, we are beginning our research with the criteria the land must have in order to purchase it. So far we have: running water (creek etc), 30+ acres pasture, 20 acres plow fields, balance with timber. We are in Georgia and will probably stay within 2 hours of Atlanta.

What would you look for?

Thanks,
Lisa
momt5
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Your perfect farm would be?

Postby greatgerts » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:52 am

It will be very hard to run 50 cows on 30 acres of pasture. If you are going to run stockers, it could be done. What would you plant in the plow fields? Would it be able to be grazed part of the year? 50 acres of timber could work to your benefit if it has not been logged out. You could sell the timber off and work the rest to be able to improve that area into pasture.
greatgerts
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jedstivers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 am

This is all for hobby and enjoyment isn't it? Not for profit? That will make a difference on the answers?
jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 am

Just depends on what kind of operation are you going to run??
** All good things take time ***
Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby dun » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

Limomike wrote:Just depends on what kind of operation are you going to run??

I agree but it would start with encompassing the entire county with the house right in the middle of it!
A poor workman always blames his tools
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 am

2 hours south of Atlanta should put you in the piedmont still so I'd look for something with a roll on it where I could stick in a nice pond before you can no longer build a pond. Stick my cabin/house overlooking the pond and have the pond fenced off from the cattle with ample room between the water and the fence where I could let them in there to graze if I wanted but exclude them most of the time. I'd fence the perimeter with woven wire and a strand of barbed wire. Interior would be cross fenced in a wagon wheel fashion so with water and working facilities in the corral. Entrance would have both a gate and a cattle guard. At all fence corners I'd plant fruit bearing trees and use boards on the hypotenuse to keep cattle off the trees. In the plowed fields I'd plant fescue and bermuda in the fields and would strive to have enough hay ground to keep everything self sustaining.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JSCATTLE » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 am

My perfect ranch would be the ponderosa . Set in the same time period too .
What Obama should have said: you see this food stamp ? You didn't work for that someone else did !!!
JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby momt5 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

lol, I loved the Ponderosa!

We are considering doing for profit. Would like to have cattle, chicken (layers & broilers), a dairy cow, 2-3 pigs, greenhouse (hydroponics).
Hubby is a nuclear engineer, master carpenter, plumber, electrician, mechanic sort of a jack of all trades. I'm the gardener. The one area we are not familiar with is cattle.

We are researching now to see if it would be possible to be profitable. In 2 years we should have 500K to purchase land etc. We are planning on only having to borrow operating cost for the first 2 years. I would like for it to be an organic farm although that will take a couple of years and have grass fed beef. I would like for it to be self-sustaining in the long run. We are looking at this as a long term investment for our children. Hopefully this will be their inheritance one day.

I'm look at North GA, or NE Ga into Ala.
momt5
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jedstivers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Not planing on putting the cost of the land against the return from the land?
jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I'd move it closer to Atlanta then if your doing the organic route since there are so few people that live outside of the city that are willing to pay $6.50 for $0.30 worth of zipper peas but I've seen them move like hotcakes in Atlanta. You can really prosper when your customers have more money than sense. Good luck.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby IluvABbeef » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm

There is no such thing as a perfect farm. You're always improving things or wanting to improve things because what you thought was perfect before ends up not being perfect the next time you take a second look at it. ;-)

Just my :2cents:
IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby Douglas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Most people these days are keeping cattle out of streams and ponds. Plan on a well system to provide clean water to your animals. Ponds are for fishing, crop irrigation, wildlife and swimming.
Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Sir Loin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

momt5

As you are in my neighborhood I would like to get to know you better and possibly use you as an example in my book I am writing.
Title: How to make a small fortune in the cattle business.
Sub-title: Start with a large fortune.

From what you have said so far, you are the perfect example what not to do.

Do you have any experience in business?
Have you ever run or started a business?
Have you any formal training in economics and/or marketing?
Can you mentally and professionally separate your own special interest from your business interest to make a profit?
Are you man and women, women and women or man and man?
How old are both of you?

SL
Diapers and Politian’s should be changer often, both for the same reason!!
Sir Loin
GURU
GURU

Postby Sir Loin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:11 am

Re:
Most people these days are keeping cattle out of streams and ponds. Plan on a well system to provide clean water to your animals. Ponds are for fishing, crop irrigation, wildlife and swimming.

IMO:
That is not only a perfect example of letting your personal interest interfere with you business decision, it is pure propaganda to serve that personal interest and will cause you to spend thousands of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you buy into it.

But, the government does have a program where the government will pay half the cost if you are inclined to want the government as a business partner. I personally refuse to suck any government teat.
SL.
Diapers and Politian’s should be changer often, both for the same reason!!
Sir Loin
GURU
GURU

Postby dun » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 am

Seems like that would depend on if you want to be a good steward of the land!
A poor workman always blames his tools
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Next

Return to Beginners Board