taming down wild calves

Cattle problems.
turk1800
Beginner
Beginner

taming down wild calves

Post by turk1800 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:28 am

what would be the quickest way of taming a couple wild calves. i have them in pen feeding them everyday but its been 3 weeks and there still wild :hat: .would like to get them much calmer before turning out to pasture

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Re: taming down wild calves

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 am

Define " wild?" What kind of calves are they? What are you turning em out into?
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Post by jkwilson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:10 pm

When we work with keeper calves, we get a single calf in a 10X12 pen with a broom. Keep the broom on them no matter how many laps they make. They'll get tired, and stop, then you can brush them with the broom. Get's them over the fear of people.

Suzie Q
GURU
GURU

Post by Suzie Q » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:37 pm

If you have a quiet calf or old cow put them in with the calves. When you feed the quiet cow or calf will come forward for the hay and the others will soon follow.
http://www.suesonlineshoppingstore.com/ = my blog and http://suesstore.fabulousproductsmall.com/

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:40 pm

I always try to keep an older tame cow around to calm wild stock with you know one of them ol cows that will almost run over you trying to get her head in the feed sack. One of my best I ever had was a full blood Brahma she was such a pet she got in the way, kept her for many years.I have a couple now that I keep around to calm wild ones but none was as good as my old Brahma was.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

turk1800
Beginner
Beginner

Post by turk1800 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 pm

thanks for the ideas there 2 heifers black Angus with a little something else thrown in.when i approach pen they run like be nice but there getting a little better .they have no horns and about 4.5 months old now. and i have no other cows. just some goats,donkey,turkeys,chickens, and dogs again thanks for the ideas, turk

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:29 pm

When you put out their feed, sit down and read to them outloud. Nothing exciting that may make your voice sound different. Something boring like the want ads in the paper or if you have a weekly trader type of deal read that to them.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:30 pm

If the donkey is tame and is a jenny put it with them. I would not recomend it if it is a jack unless he has been cut.and yes there will probly be someone post about how good a jack will be and not hurt your stock well maybe so -maybe not, don't risk it.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

adashky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by adashky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:02 am

When we bring in our show heifers, we turn on a radio and keep it on all the time. Talk radio works nice. It gets them used to the sound of people's voices. The kids also spend alot of time in there just playing cards or with the cats.

The first heifer we brought in my daughter used to read to her like dun suggested.

I hate to be the one to bring this up but sometimes there are a few calves that you just can't calm down. Some are just nutty and any other calves with them will pick up on that and act just like them.

I think the main thing though is spending alot of time with them.

Good Luck!

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Post by spinandslide » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

Lots of good advice here..

Simply getting them used to you being there and your voice is a big thing. I had abit of a wild cow..a range cow...Id dump her some feed, then sit my butt on an old barrel and while she ate, Id tell her everything that happened that day at work. (God, my husband loved this. :lol: )..calmed her down right quick.
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

hillbillycwo
Rancher
Rancher

Post by hillbillycwo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 am

Some will just plain get your tail too when you try to do anything around them. Stay calm in all you do around them and talk with each task to let them know all is well. Call them the same way for feed times. However, ship them as soon as you get the notion they aren't improving a 4.5 month old can hurt you just as quick as an older calf or cow. Lots of good actors out there.
Freedom isn't free...the cost of it is paid for by the sacrifices of the few for the many in terms f blood, tears and loneliness.