Buying equipment at tax foreclosure auction

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Buying equipment at tax foreclosure auction

Post by cowboy43 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:32 pm

In Texas when buying trucks or equipment at a tax foreclosure sale, how does one know that it is not a first lien on item. When buying property. One can research at the county clerk office, but not knowing anything about the truck or equipment or where it was bought or if someone has first lien on it. How do you research before the auction. I know when buying property it is the buyers responeability to research for a clean title but trucks and equipment might hard to research. I was asked this question an I could not give an answer. :?:

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Buying equipment at tax foreclosure auction

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:47 pm

I’m not sure about Texas but in Georgia a lender files a UCC on personal property if the borrowers hocks it. I’m 99% sure it’s file with the Clerk if Superior Court in said county.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:34 am

I know a man who got into a deal like this. Luckily by the time the equipment was found by the lender the banker holding the lean told him to just keep the equipment. I’m guessing most farm equipment doesn’t have a title and isn’t registered anywhere so it’s nearly impossible to find. Of course a truck or trailer would be pretty easy to locate if you ever registered them.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 pm

cowboy43 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:32 pm
In Texas when buying trucks or equipment at a tax foreclosure sale, how does one know that it is not a first lien on item. When buying property. One can research at the county clerk office, but not knowing anything about the truck or equipment or where it was bought or if someone has first lien on it. How do you research before the auction. I know when buying property it is the buyers responeability to research for a clean title but trucks and equipment might hard to research. I was asked this question an I could not give an answer. :?:
Find out who actually put the equipment up for sale. First lienholder should be the seller.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm

I know a man in Okla. that bought a dozer and it had a lien on it and cost him some money. I also know two men that bought cattle that a bank had a lien on , big messy court case
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter