Protests close them

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Protests close them

Post by HDRider » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Valley Oaks Steak Company had barely gotten the light switches figured out on their state-of-the-art meat processing facility when they succumbed to anti-ag activists last month. Following a year of harassment, threats and lawsuits they announced Aug. 19 they were ceasing business.

Ironically, the family-owned feedlot and meat processing plant, located 30 miles east of Kansas City, was designed as a sustainability, environmentally-conscious, socially-aware, locally-grown foodie’s dream. “We did everything ‘they’ wanted,” says manager Jake Huddleston, even installing an observation deck over the kill floor. The cutting-edge processing plant is owned by the Ward family, noted Angus cattle breeders and area real estate developers. It was built in 2016 alongside the largest covered feedlot in Missouri that has a capacity of 900 head. Cattle were fed, finished and then walked to harvest in a one-site, low-stress environment. The meat was sold off the farm.

It was as close as a family, a farm and a fork have ever been.


Leading the lawsuit was the 1,000-acre Powell Gardens, a botanical garden community four miles from Valley Oaks, in partnership with a variety of anti-agricultural groups and a deep arsenal of misinformation. Statements from opposition claimed they were certainly pro-farming, just “not here.” Signs posted read “No to Valley Oaks – Farms not Factories.”

After over $1 million in legal fees in one year the burden was too much. “It’s crippling,” says Huddleston. “How do you work that into your P&L?

https://www.tsln.com/news/never-enough/


bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3482
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 803 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by bball » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:44 pm

HDRider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:52 pm
Valley Oaks Steak Company had barely gotten the light switches figured out on their state-of-the-art meat processing facility when they succumbed to anti-ag activists last month. Following a year of harassment, threats and lawsuits they announced Aug. 19 they were ceasing business.

Ironically, the family-owned feedlot and meat processing plant, located 30 miles east of Kansas City, was designed as a sustainability, environmentally-conscious, socially-aware, locally-grown foodie’s dream. “We did everything ‘they’ wanted,” says manager Jake Huddleston, even installing an observation deck over the kill floor. The cutting-edge processing plant is owned by the Ward family, noted Angus cattle breeders and area real estate developers. It was built in 2016 alongside the largest covered feedlot in Missouri that has a capacity of 900 head. Cattle were fed, finished and then walked to harvest in a one-site, low-stress environment. The meat was sold off the farm.

It was as close as a family, a farm and a fork have ever been.


Leading the lawsuit was the 1,000-acre Powell Gardens, a botanical garden community four miles from Valley Oaks, in partnership with a variety of anti-agricultural groups and a deep arsenal of misinformation. Statements from opposition claimed they were certainly pro-farming, just “not here.” Signs posted read “No to Valley Oaks – Farms not Factories.”

After over $1 million in legal fees in one year the burden was too much. “It’s crippling,” says Huddleston. “How do you work that into your P&L?

https://www.tsln.com/news/never-enough/
That's just sickening to read. What is happening to our society? Are people really this disconnected from nature, the food chain, the circle of life? First world problems.. i reckon the day is coming when many will no longer have first world problems and will have to deal with survival :?:
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 25614
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 1258 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:49 pm

bball wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:44 pm
HDRider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:52 pm
Valley Oaks Steak Company had barely gotten the light switches figured out on their state-of-the-art meat processing facility when they succumbed to anti-ag activists last month. Following a year of harassment, threats and lawsuits they announced Aug. 19 they were ceasing business.

Ironically, the family-owned feedlot and meat processing plant, located 30 miles east of Kansas City, was designed as a sustainability, environmentally-conscious, socially-aware, locally-grown foodie’s dream. “We did everything ‘they’ wanted,” says manager Jake Huddleston, even installing an observation deck over the kill floor. The cutting-edge processing plant is owned by the Ward family, noted Angus cattle breeders and area real estate developers. It was built in 2016 alongside the largest covered feedlot in Missouri that has a capacity of 900 head. Cattle were fed, finished and then walked to harvest in a one-site, low-stress environment. The meat was sold off the farm.

It was as close as a family, a farm and a fork have ever been.


Leading the lawsuit was the 1,000-acre Powell Gardens, a botanical garden community four miles from Valley Oaks, in partnership with a variety of anti-agricultural groups and a deep arsenal of misinformation. Statements from opposition claimed they were certainly pro-farming, just “not here.” Signs posted read “No to Valley Oaks – Farms not Factories.”

After over $1 million in legal fees in one year the burden was too much. “It’s crippling,” says Huddleston. “How do you work that into your P&L?

https://www.tsln.com/news/never-enough/
That's just sickening to read. What is happening to our society? Are people really this disconnected from nature, the food chain, the circle of life? First world problems.. i reckon the day is coming when many will no longer have first world problems and will have to deal with survival :?:
We are closer to anarchy than many realize!
I run sale-barn cattle.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5101
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 560 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:09 am

Unbelievable but it is happening everywhere around the world. They take it for granted that even though they close these places down they can still go to the supermarket and buy what they fancy. It is going to catch up with them.

Ken

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15827
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1326 times
Been thanked: 1023 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by Nesikep » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:49 am

thankfully it seems like some governments are stepping up penalties/sentences for this crap, but not nearly enough if you ask me
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 am

While it might be hard to top the these acts of violence, perhaps the most chilling and disturbing example is of the political variety — activists are lobbying to allow civilians to open up your stock trailers or sneak onto your farms and “free” the livestock under your care.

Yes, you read that right.

https://www.beefmagazine.com/farm-life/ ... are-coming
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 am

In a recent report from KCRG News, “Johnson County Fair officials said animal rights activists have been disrupting the fair which they said stems from the ‘Family Rodeo’ event.

“Long-time fairgoer Sara Krieger said it’s disturbing what the group has been doing.

“‘They have been going around and cutting halters and cutting the hairs off the tail of cattle as well as letting the animals out,’ Krieger said.

“This has caused her to make extra efforts, needing to take her 12 show animals home every single day of the fair for the safety of the animals.

“‘We’ve always felt secure here,’ Krieger said. She is confused as to why anyone would want to put the animals, or other people, at risk. Fair officials said they are anticipating protestors.

“‘If you let them loose, they’re going to run through the fair, they’re going to get caught up in something,’ Krieger said. ‘Run people over; these people love their animals and they are well cared for. I put more time and money into my horses than I do myself. If you want to support an organization that combats animal cruelty, you should join 4-H.’”

It is sad and scary to think about animal rights activists targeting 4-H youth and putting their livestock in danger with their shenanigans. These individuals, whether acting on behalf of an organization and working independently, should be held accountable for their actions.


https://www.beefmagazine.com/farm-life/ ... ounty-fair
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 354 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by HDRider » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 am

I could post these things all day
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 875 times
Been thanked: 524 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by Ky hills » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 am

For what it’s worth I would recommend having gates chained at both ends. I would also chain and lock trailer doors if they aren’t already equipped with a place for a padlock. I venture to say a lot of those “activists” are more like anarchists in that they just jump on a bandwagon to cause trouble. Another percentage are misinformed do gooder’s. Unfortunately, I think our society is becoming more self absorbed and focused on certain agendas of the day while growing more vocal and more towards activist action on a lot of different fronts.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 248 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Image



Image



Image

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5101
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 560 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:43 pm

We must be an easy target for the activists. Every week before the weekend I see on the nightly news the fishing report with guys and girls proudly holding up a fish by a gaff in its side that they have just caught or holding out a fish gasping for air. I think to myself if these people were in the livestock industry they would have more sense than to flaunt things like this and attract attention.
Maybe it is because these activists like to go out and have a fish themselves. I know some vegetarians when they are fanging for a piece of meat they will eat a piece of fish.
I think a lot of the young guys are out to impress the young girls so they can get into their pants.

Ken

User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by ccr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm

how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3482
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 803 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by bball » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 pm

ccr wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm
how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
I don't understand it either. However, I suspect many lack a real purpose and direction for existing. Consequently, to make their existence "feel" meaningful and special, they get involved with horsesh*t like what has been previously posted. When i see the pics and videos of the people engaged in these behaviors, I just see empty, shallow, sad, angry ghosts. I would pity them if they werent screwing things up so bad; and their numbers are growing... :frowns:
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 pm
Location: Western kentucky
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by Ky cowboy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:55 am

ccr wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm
how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
They have free time because they are not out working trying to support families.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4974
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 300 times

Re: Protests close them

Post by hurleyjd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:48 am

https://powellgardens.org/protecting-po ... community/


https://fox4kc.com/2018/02/21/butcher-s ... community/

I am not advocating one way or the other on this just adding some information as what is going on.
What if Martin Luther King jr's dream had come true.

Post Reply