Dragging after unrolling

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Dragging after unrolling

Post by SmokinM » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:55 pm

So after you have unrolled your hay how long until you pull a drag over that ground. After you drag it how long til you would feed on it again or not until next season. Thinking as it is still dry here right now I have my cattle in smaller areas both 7-10 acres each. Once I have unrolled about an acres worth of area could/ should I drag it to spread piles and speed up breakdown. Could I rotationally unroll? I have spread my feeding out as advised and cleanup of hay has been much better so shouldn’t be an issue with it clumping up in the drag. Sorry if I am asking stupid questions like I said new to this unrolling deal.

Oh if it matters on my bigger group I am covering close to an acre a week/10 days unrolling. Thanks

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Dragging after unrolling

Post by bird dog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:04 am

I don't drag mine at all but if I did, I think I would do it while the patties are still fresh. Part of the reason for me to unroll is the seed benefit. The oats and rye grass seed will plant itself and I don't want it disturbed or for that matter the mulch value of the waste hay.

The kind of drag you used might also matter, You don't want one that will bunch up the waste hay. Maybe a spike roller or something would work.

I don't understand the question on rotation unroll.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 am

I don't drag mine either. I just started last year though. I spray the field with roundup in the spring and notill drill a warm season annual in.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am

Bird dog. He’s asking if you would unroll on the same ground during the same feeding season at a later date. I generally don’t as I have plenty of space to feed without going back to where I previously fed. I also pick areas that have poor quality of topsoil. As time goes on those areas become more productive. The drawback to that is it’s farther from my barns and when it’s rainy a lot of damage can be done. I’ll feed closer to the barns during those times.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Yes that’s what I mean is basically about 7-10 weeks later I would be feeding back on the same ground. I am trying to build up the poorest areas of the farm and have some fescue stockpiled on the majority that they will get turned out on in December or so but I don’t think that will get me thru end of winter. I agree you don’t want the hay to clump up but they are cleaning up most of it pretty good. Mostly the piles I am trying to disperse. I may not have to cycle back but I am also trying not to run out of room. I may try a patch and see what I get.Thanks

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks Vett. I see what your sayin Smokin. I wish I had that problem. I can unroll on virgin crappy land for the next ten years before I would be in the same spot. One place I have repeated roll outs is where erosion is bad. A guy gave me a few corn rolls last year that I unrolled on a area that was starting to wash out. They worked great because the cows didn't eat much of it and it takes a good while for those corn leaves and shucks to rot away. If I had my own baling equipment, I would bale up some stuff just to unroll.

Unlike where you have used rings, you won't have any residue to notice the following year. No clean up, piling or dragging is needed at the end of the feeding year. I even sold some of my rings since I don't need as many as before.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:03 pm

I think if you can wait 7-10 weeks you'll be fine, I don't drag but once in late winter , early spring.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:59 am

Here are some thoughts....

I have drags, I also have hay rolls, squares etc. Also have sheep and a small area.

No way would I have to drag anything, apart from maybe to move some dung piles, but, hey, the env. and cattle seem too look after this too, but I do run them down with the tractor when in my path....(dung, not hay piles)

But, if you have that much hay left, either your over feeding, or the hay is not good, even if it is not good, if you dole it out right, they clean up everything, and, if they do miss anything, get yourself a small herd of sheep, cause they wont leave anything if there is not a lot of pasture.

I only ad lib water.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:19 am

It is easy to overdo it with hay feeding and have an area test very high for P and K. Don't know you soil situation, or your hay mineral quality, so I would invest in some before and after soil chemical tests. Consider soil grid testing if you have alot of variation.

If you are in a rush to regenerate soil - - the spray out and no till cover crop mix works as Bigfoot suggested. Poor biology benefits from two years of cc before seeding a perennial mix. It is noticeably better than one year of cc.

If you are not in a rush - - you could unroll once, wait 6 to 12 months to see where fertility is needed most, then selectively feed or spread manure in those parts of the paddock.
Stocker Steve

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 am

bird dog wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:04 am
I don't drag mine at all but if I did, I think I would do it while the patties are still fresh. Part of the reason for me to unroll is the seed benefit. The oats and rye grass seed will plant itself and I don't want it disturbed or for that matter the mulch value of the waste hay.

The kind of drag you used might also matter, You don't want one that will bunch up the waste hay. Maybe a spike roller or something would work.

I don't understand the question on rotation unroll.
Like all except the "spike" part. BTDT Spike will load up and unload the wad when it gets ready and you wind up with a mess.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:29 am

I try to drag the pastures I unroll on at least once a feeding season. I generally just pick a time that I think the ground is dry enough. Last year it stayed so wet I never got the fields drug and by May I really couldn’t tell a difference from the previous years of dragging. Dragging pastures is a good time to relax with a few cold ones and listen to the radio though.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Lucky wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:29 am
I try to drag the pastures I unroll on at least once a feeding season. I generally just pick a time that I think the ground is dry enough. Last year it stayed so wet I never got the fields drug and by May I really couldn’t tell a difference from the previous years of dragging. Dragging pastures is a good time to relax with a few cold ones and listen to the radio though.
I'll never forget the first guy I ever saw drinking beer and listening to the radio on his tractor, he had a radio!
:banana:
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is