Fair price for a Jersey Steer

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
chaneysranch
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Fair price for a Jersey Steer

Post by chaneysranch » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Jerseys go for $30 or less here as bottle calves. I did sell a bull calf last summer to someone that likes Jersey bulls. 300lbs. Got $275 but that was a rare thing! If you don't steer them you can get fair weight. Processed our Jersey bull last year, his hanging weight before dressing out was 1242 lbs. I have now a Hereford bull over my Jerseys and Hereford cows. Calves due anytime so will let you know how it goes.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:33 pm

chaneysranch wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Jerseys go for $30 or less here as bottle calves. I did sell a bull calf last summer to someone that likes Jersey bulls. 300lbs. Got $275 but that was a rare thing! If you don't steer them you can get fair weight. Processed our Jersey bull last year, his hanging weight before dressing out was 1242 lbs. I have now a Hereford bull over my Jerseys and Hereford cows. Calves due anytime so will let you know how it goes.
With the Hereford Jersey cross you will get lots dark noses and brindle coloring. I would strongly suggest an Angus bull next time to cover up the Jersey influence.

Now I have to go have a shower and wash off what I just suggested.
cor durum laborem

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:33 pm
chaneysranch wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:59 pm
With the Hereford Jersey cross you will get lots dark noses and brindle coloring. I would strongly suggest an Angus bull next time to cover up the Jersey influence.

Now I have to go have a shower and wash off what I just suggested.
Take a good shower Aaron. I knew a guy who bought every Jersey/Hereford he could find. Small gentle cows that raised big calves. He used a Black Angus bull....... extra soap and shampoo Aaron.