pecan cracker

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: pecan cracker

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:47 pm

i know some but i have a guy who can identify any tree i've pointed him at so far. Here's what I think so far:

1.) tiny thick hard shells sound like "native" pecans. good for squirrel food.

2.) oblong and thin shelled sounds like Shawnee. I have some of these and like them pretty well, the long skinny kernel is definitely different and easily spotted.

3.) the final one sounds tricky but if you can get a pic of the nut i'll take a crack at it. Pics of leaves and limb structure would be good too. when you crack them does the shell come off pretty easily or does it crack up the kernel some when you try to pull it all apart? I know that may be subjective or tough to nail down. I ask because Cheyenne are a smaller and rounder than Shawnee but they shell out really easily. When I take Cheyenne to the sheller they're always happy because they don't take much to get clean. Also, do they seem like the shucks split earlier, later, or about the same time what I think are the Shawnee?

I'm pretty confident on the first two but I'm happy to look at anything you send over and run it by my guy.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:48 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:19 am

Of the four varieties you have which is your favorite? I think the choctaw have the best taste, but when I plant another 10 acres starting this winter I think it is going to be a mix of Pawnee and Kanza. We have some trees from each of the varieties you listed other than Kanza, but I hear really good things about it (The grand champion nut in our county pecan show for the last several years has been Kanza).
if i had it to over again i would not plant choctaw. george ray mceachern recommended the choctaw over thirty years ago and i think in later years he changed his mind because of the limb structure (weak) and harder to train when young. this year the choctaw has so many big pecans on them, some of the limbs have broken off. none of the other varieties have broken limbs.

as for as limb structure and growth the kanza is the best we got, but the pecans are small. the pawnee seems to be the best reliable producer around here and the limb structure is fine.

i picked up the texan "york" nut sheller (made in china). i've used it a little, but need to get my technique better. i watched the company's utube video on how to do it.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm

I totally agree with you on the Choctaw. It looks like a huge year for mine also, but that does mean I've spent a ton of time dragging limbs out of the orchard.

Pawnee are probably my favorite, the only downside is they are more scab susceptible than the other varieties I have (except Wichita and I'm cutting those out of the orchard this winter). I enjoyed visiting with Dr. McEachern at the pecan short course a couple years back, it would be interesting to hear what varieties he would recommend these days.

I'm definitely curious to get some kanza in the ground, then it's just a nice little 5-7 year wait to see how they produce.

I need to check out that youtube video because I've mangled more than my fair share them with that cracker, but I know it works well if the technique is right.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:48 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm
I'm definitely curious to get some kanza in the ground, then it's just a nice little 5-7 year wait to see how they produce.
the kanza seem to have a harder shell than the pawnee.

a couple of years ago i had a question about a particular source of zinc sulfate and the amount to use, and thru the county agent was put in contact with monte nesbitt, with agrilife. he was very knowledgeable and helped with the amount of zinc sulfate and nitrogen to use.

he may be a good source for kanza info. it takes so long to learn the in and outs of these different varieties.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:57 am

Do either of you pecan growers do grafting to improve your trees or graft a good pecan to a native tree. Many years ago a man in my community had great success grafting pecans to hickory trees.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:45 am

My grandfather grafted some natives about 30 years ago that are producing pretty well today.
Also, Dr. Stein from A&M did a grafting demonstration on a small tree in my yard which has really taken off.

I knew you could graft multiple varieties onto the same root stock but I had no idea you could graft pecan to another type of tree, that’s pretty amazing.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 am

jschoolcraft86 wrote:

i picked up the texan "york" nut sheller (made in china). i've used it a little, but need to get my technique better. i watched the company's utube video on how to do it.
Not surprised.
A lot has changed in the world since I was last in San Angelo in 2006. Not sure if aermotor windmills is still there either.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 am
jschoolcraft86 wrote:

Not surprised.
A lot has changed in the world since I was last in San Angelo in 2006. Not sure if aermotor windmills is still there either.
Appears it's still there GB:
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:34 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 am
greybeard wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 am
jschoolcraft86 wrote:

Not surprised.
Appears it's still there GB:
Good to hear! We made a few parts for them too. Last I had heard, a group of ranchers from W. Texas had bought the company and kept it there, but that was over 10 years ago
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Image Image
wife and her 96 year old mother cracked/shelled about 1 1/2 pound of these pecans in a little over an hour. says it works good.

this is an old cracker. on the sides it has raised lettering - model 28, mall iron fitting co., branford conn, perfection nut cracker.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:58 am

hey those came out pretty good. i'm picking some up from a sheller down here in San Antonio today, hope they look that nice

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm

jschoolcraft86 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:58 am
hey those came out pretty good. i'm picking some up from a sheller down here in San Antonio today, hope they look that nice
how did your pecans turn out?

the choctaws we shelled were put in a plastic bag and they were a little moist and then they got mold on them and we threw away.

after a little more doing with the few pecan trees we have- the kanza is a great tree, but is definitely the hardest to crack the small nuts and shell for halves. the choctaw despite their weak limbs are great producers and easy to crack the big nuts.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:08 am

The june bugs have decimated my trees for 2 years where I got nothing. What they didn't get, the pruner beetles took care of.. DId not see a single june bug this year and the pruners were late, so I have a bumper crop of pecans. I use the plyer type crackers. When I sit, I crack nuts...I have bags lined up..
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 am

ccr wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm
how did your pecans turn out?
A few of the earlier varieties had really good quality but not as much total yield as I hoped. I think the best variety I had this year were the Kiowa. The choctaw came out pretty solid, there were a few weak ones but for the most part they made good nuts. I've been running them to Hondo and Goldthwaite every weekend for like 6 weeks now so it has kept me busy.

jschoolcraft86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jschoolcraft86 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 am

url=https://postimg.cc/xXhvtF77]Image[/url]

Here's some recent pics in case anyone is curious.