Word of Caution about ponds in dry weather

Cattle problems.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Word of Caution about ponds in dry weather

Post by Ky hills » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 am

We have had 1 year and a half or so of extreme moisture, it seemed like it never would stop raining, but when it did about a couple months ago, it like a faucet cut off. We have waterers in some fields but not all, and in the field where most of our cows and calves are that pond has been getting noticeably low. We have been running tanks of city water for them for a while now. The problem has come in that we have been buying some stockyard cows, and one has stayed hidden for the most part in the back of the place by herself. We found her last night just before dark, out in the pond in mud up to her back. We got her pulled out with the utv. She got up within a few minutes and is eating and drinking but looks pretty rough. I have fastened the cattle in the front away from the pond, and put out a roll of hay. Hoping for some rain to put water back in the branches and ponds. The weather forecast doesn't show any rain for at least another week.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Word of Caution about ponds in dry weather

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:25 am

Also watch for high concentrations of minerals when your ponds get low.. I can't remember the exact ones, but I think sulfur was one

Glad you got her out, hope she does alright now
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:31 am

Another word of warning. The state of Kentucky just issued a warning about algal toxins in ponds, lakes and even rivers. In fact, the Ohio River between Louisville and Ashland is on the list. Be aware that pond water during these times can kill cows that consume the toxins in the water.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:31 am
Another word of warning. The state of Kentucky just issued a warning about algal toxins in ponds, lakes and even rivers. In fact, the Ohio River between Louisville and Ashland is on the list. Be aware that pond water during these times can kill cows that consume the toxins in the water.
Would Pond Dye remedy this problem? (assuming it has had time to work)

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:44 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:31 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:31 am
Would Pond Dye remedy this problem? (assuming it has had time to work)
Are you talking about blue green algae? Yes, it can kill cattle (and dogs, other wild life). And yes, Pond Dye will kill the algae. The problem is with larger bodies of water it simply isn't feasible. Aerators are another option. Best defense is to cut off (fence off) the contaminated water source and wait because it will clear up relatively quickly on its own.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Good save and good luck with your girl, Ky.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:01 pm

I agree with TCRanch. If you have an algal bloom going on, it is best to fence the cattle out. The previous owner of my farm, lost several head of cattle due to algal poisoning. The first thing I did was backfill the pond. I had my own dozer so it was just a matter of my time. I then put in automatic watering systems using public water.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:08 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:01 pm
I agree with TCRanch. If you have an algal bloom going on, it is best to fence the cattle out. The previous owner of my farm, lost several head of cattle due to algal poisoning. The first thing I did was backfill the pond. I had my own dozer so it was just a matter of my time. I then put in automatic watering systems using public water.
We don't have the luxury of public water so have to rely on ponds, creeks & wells. We've spent a fortune on fencing to close off access to the watershed but not the ponds. They do have stock tanks & a fountain available; they just don't always use them. :roll: