Heifers

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 am

Gathered yesterday. Preg test tomorrow.

Image

Image

Image

Image


Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16761
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 668 times

Re: Heifers

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am

Good looking, healthy Bunch...
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15335
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 987 times
Been thanked: 786 times

Re: Heifers

Post by Nesikep » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

What he said!, hopefully they're all bred.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
holm25
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:46 am
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: Heifers

Post by holm25 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Nice bunch of heifers. How long were they with the bull?

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11398
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 733 times
Been thanked: 1013 times

Re: Heifers

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Nice group of heifers. Too bad you don't have any pasture for them!! LOl
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:59 pm

holm25 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:25 pm
Nice bunch of heifers. How long were they with the bull?
40 days. Meant to pull them 5 days earlier but we got a very valuable few days of good weather for haying.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Heifers

Post by 5S Cattle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Good lookin bunch. What are you going to do with the opens?

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm
Good lookin bunch. What are you going to do with the opens?
Most will go to the sale the next day. Will pick 3 or 4 of the easiest fleshing ones for local beef orders. They will go on fresh grass and be eating 15 lbs of barley in a couple weeks. Mid November to the cooler.

They only get one chance to be open here and they had better be young and good to consider being later than our 50 day calving season to win reprieve for another year in the cow herd.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14547
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 969 times
Been thanked: 995 times

Re: Heifers

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:05 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm
5S Cattle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm
Good lookin bunch. What are you going to do with the opens?
Most will go to the sale the next day. Will pick 3 or 4 of the easiest fleshing ones for local beef orders. They will go on fresh grass and be eating 15 lbs of barley in a couple weeks. Mid November to the cooler.

They only get one chance to be open here and they had better be young and good to consider being later than our 50 day calving season to win reprieve for another year in the cow herd.
You run a very tight ship.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:11 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:05 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:59 pm
5S Cattle wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:45 pm
Good lookin bunch. What are you going to do with the opens?
Most will go to the sale the next day. Will pick 3 or 4 of the easiest fleshing ones for local beef orders. They will go on fresh grass and be eating 15 lbs of barley in a couple weeks. Mid November to the cooler.

They only get one chance to be open here and they had better be young and good to consider being later than our 50 day calving season to win reprieve for another year in the cow herd.
You run a very tight ship.
Best way to achieve uniformity.

Also, I am lazy, don’t like dragging half frozen calves to the barn, hate shovelling poop worse. We start in early April and want them done before they go to range for the most part.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14547
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 969 times
Been thanked: 995 times

Re: Heifers

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:13 am

Makes perfect sense.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10701
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 914 times
Been thanked: 951 times

Re: Heifers

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:32 am

They are very good heifers.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:46 pm

136 heifers, 40 days with bulls, 19 open. Have done both worse and better.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11398
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 733 times
Been thanked: 1013 times

Re: Heifers

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 am

Were these all heifers that you raised, or some bought?
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Heifers

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 am
Were these all heifers that you raised, or some bought?
100 were our own heifers.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply