Pole corral

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 561 times

Pole corral

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 am

I just finished one section of my pole corral rebuild. That is 54 poles down and 200+ to go. It is 5.5 to 6 foot tall and stout enough that they won't be running through it. I am into the poles $1 each. I am using about two thirds the existing RR tie and a third new ones. The 9 foot ties cost me $18 each. Lag bolts are about 50 cents. This approximately 100 foot cost $162. In the background you can see the loafing shed I rebuilt. It is 36x10. The entire roof and about 25% of the walls were gone. Using mostly used material I rebuilt it for less than $200. It is not real pretty but it will keep the rain and snow off calves back.
The other picture is of the corral fence that I haven't got to yet. Sort of obvious why I am rebuilding. The previous owner would just wire a mesh panel over any holes when the poles rotted, broke, or just fell off. Actual repair and maintenance were not his strong suit. He told me that when he bought the place 8 years ago the corral needed to be rebuilt but he just never got around to doing it.

Image

Image



User avatar
Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am
Location: Wet-side Washington St.
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 am

Good job! I really need to redo my 29 year old 60 ft round pen, but it's gonna take a while.
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11398
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 733 times
Been thanked: 1013 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:46 am

Dave, I really appreciate your pictures. It is such a different life out there. You will have it put together in a few years. Been tearing/wearing down for many years. Good job.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9484
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Nice Dave.

How many lag bolts are used on each pole end ?
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 561 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm
Nice Dave.

How many lag bolts are used on each pole end ?
One. They are mainly 3/8 diameter 10 inch lag bolts. A few 8 inch ones on the smaller poles. The old poles which were put up nearly 40 years ago had one spike at each end of the pole. Of course the poles are on the side of the ties that pressure is expected to come from.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm

If it were me, I would wire an upright on the inside of the poles to the post. They will never come loose then.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by ccr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:39 pm

way to go dave. your doing a lot of work. those cross ties are hard to deal with, but they ought to last a lifetime. hadn't planted one in 30 years-thought it was hard back then.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 769 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Silver » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 pm

That's a big undertaking. Seeing the pictures brings back a lot of memories. We rebuilt our corrals with rails years ago, and at that time when we were admiring our handiwork we mistakenly opined that we shouldn't have to do that again. But we did, only not with rails the last time.
We did ours like gcreek mentioned, in fact we used no fasteners. We stacked the rails against the post, set a smaller pole on the other side against the rails and used #9 wire to tie it to the post effectively sandwiching the rails in between.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Silver wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 pm
That's a big undertaking. Seeing the pictures brings back a lot of memories. We rebuilt our corrals with rails years ago, and at that time when we were admiring our handiwork we mistakenly opined that we shouldn't have to do that again. But we did, only not with rails the last time.
We did ours like gcreek mentioned, in fact we used no fasteners. We stacked the rails against the post, set a smaller pole on the other side against the rails and used #9 wire to tie it to the post effectively sandwiching the rails in between.
We will be building about 100 panels like that shortly. 7 to 10" x 10 ft treated posts and 5 logs with 5 to 6 inch tops. Our home corrals that were built the first time by me in 1987 have been completely rebuilt in the last few years. Funny how it is more like work now!
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 769 times
Been thanked: 761 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Silver » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 pm
Silver wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 pm
That's a big undertaking. Seeing the pictures brings back a lot of memories. We rebuilt our corrals with rails years ago, and at that time when we were admiring our handiwork we mistakenly opined that we shouldn't have to do that again. But we did, only not with rails the last time.
We did ours like gcreek mentioned, in fact we used no fasteners. We stacked the rails against the post, set a smaller pole on the other side against the rails and used #9 wire to tie it to the post effectively sandwiching the rails in between.
We will be building about 100 panels like that shortly. 7 to 10" x 10 ft treated posts and 5 logs with 5 to 6 inch tops. Our home corrals that were built the first time by me in 1987 have been completely rebuilt in the last few years. Funny how it is more like work now!
Might be a better experience with the use of an auger for the post holes. We dug ours in with the two handled hole diggers from be nice, and tamped the blue gumbo back around the posts with a big iron bar that is hopefully never to be seen again. :lol2:

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am

Silver wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 pm
Silver wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 pm
That's a big undertaking. Seeing the pictures brings back a lot of memories. We rebuilt our corrals with rails years ago, and at that time when we were admiring our handiwork we mistakenly opined that we shouldn't have to do that again. But we did, only not with rails the last time.
We did ours like gcreek mentioned, in fact we used no fasteners. We stacked the rails against the post, set a smaller pole on the other side against the rails and used #9 wire to tie it to the post effectively sandwiching the rails in between.
We will be building about 100 panels like that shortly. 7 to 10" x 10 ft treated posts and 5 logs with 5 to 6 inch tops. Our home corrals that were built the first time by me in 1987 have been completely rebuilt in the last few years. Funny how it is more like work now!
Might be a better experience with the use of an auger for the post holes. We dug ours in with the two handled hole diggers from be nice, and tamped the blue gumbo back around the posts with a big iron bar that is hopefully never to be seen again. :lol2:
Vibrator on the excavator...…….. ;-) :D
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 561 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:13 am

When I start to install the posts in the new part I will be digging the hole with an excavator. Those cottonwoods in the middle of the first picture are on the river bank. This area is an old gravel bar from the river. Rock too big for an auger and lots of them. The pole permit from the forest service only allows a maximum diameter of 6 inches. I went with a minimum of 3 inches. I put the smaller poles on either the bottom or top rail. I use to handle the RR ties by hand. Now they get put in the hole using the FEL on the tractor. If they need to be turned in the hole I use a Peevee to spin them. Hydraulics and leverage are a good thing.
There is the remains of an old corral about 10 miles from here. It is between old Highway 30 and I-84. I am sure that when they built I-84 that it cut that corral off from the pasture. All the RR ties are still there and a few of the poles. I am not sure when they built that corral but they built I-84 in 1962 so you know it was before that. The poles only last so long but here in the desert the RR ties seem to last forever.

User avatar
alisonb
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5230
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 309 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by alisonb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 am

That looks neat Dave! Now I'm jealous :mrgreen: have always wanted to build a corral fence here...maybe one day. Hope you have assistance or are you doing it on your own?
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 561 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 am

alisonb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 am
That looks neat Dave! Now I'm jealous :mrgreen: have always wanted to build a corral fence here...maybe one day. Hope you have assistance or are you doing it on your own?
Three people working on it. Me myself and I. Actually the wife is able to help about 10% of the time. Whenever she gets a break from everything she is doing. That sure helps. Holding the rail in place while drilling the pilot hole and getting the lag screw in is really a two person job. This is especially true on the top two rails.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 475 times
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Pole corral

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Dave wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 am
alisonb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 am
That looks neat Dave! Now I'm jealous :mrgreen: have always wanted to build a corral fence here...maybe one day. Hope you have assistance or are you doing it on your own?
Three people working on it. Me myself and I. Actually the wife is able to help about 10% of the time. Whenever she gets a break from everything she is doing. That sure helps. Holding the rail in place while drilling the pilot hole and getting the lag screw in is really a two person job. This is especially true on the top two rails.

Been there, a person sure starts looking for shortcuts and innovative ideas when working alone.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply