2019 replacement heifers

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

2019 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:48 pm

Well, I think I've settled on the 4 replacements I like... they're terribly hard to get good side shots of.. they're always coming toward me


Pookie, Dusty and Zeus
Image

Pookie
Image

Zippy (from a first timer)
Image

Peggy
Image

Peggy (no, her hind leg isn't gimpy, she just wouldn't set it straight for me)
Image

Not the most flattering angle of Pookie
Image

Dusty
Image

Dusty and Peggy
Image

Pookie, Dusty, Peggy
Image
Last edited by Nesikep on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.


What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: 20`9 replacement heifers

Post by ccr » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Nesi, they look good. what breed is the sire and dam?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10701
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 914 times
Been thanked: 954 times

Re: 20`9 replacement heifers

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I like Pookie. The name is catchy. Lol

Mine do the same thing. They come toward me. If you do get them to stop, they have that rigid look with their back legs tensed so they look straight.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: 20`9 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:18 pm

ccr wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:02 pm
Nesi, they look good. what breed is the sire and dam?
All the parents are 1/2 Gelbvieh, Hector was the sire, 1/2 GV, 1/4 SH, 1/4 Herf
The dams of Pookie, Dusty and Zippy are all full sisters, 1/2 Gv, 1/4SH, 1/8 Salers, 1/8th Herf I'm kinda curious to see how a bunch of very closely related girls perform compared to each other

The dam of Peggy is 1/2 Gelbvieh, 1/4 SH, 1/8 Salers and 1/8th of a different Herf/Angus cow
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Dusty was looking at a Sandhill crane with intense curiosity, so I was able to get a decent side shot
Image
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by ccr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 pm
Dusty was looking at a Sandhill crane with intense curiosity, so I was able to get a decent side shot
Image
she looks great so does the grass. i looked up lillooet on google earth. that is beautiful country. noticed a texas creek road. wonder how the creek got that name. (pics from street view)

Image Image
Last edited by ccr on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm

ccr wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:30 pm
Dusty was looking at a Sandhill crane with intense curiosity, so I was able to get a decent side shot
Image
she looks great so does the grass. i looked up lillooet on google earth. that is beautiful county. noticed a texas creek road. wonder how the creek got that name. (pics from street view)

Image Image
Do a little more digging down that road and you should be able to find me
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.5203387, ... a=!3m1!1e3
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by ccr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Image

A little piece of heaven,
that is for sure.
Gelbvieh, salers and herfs,
cattleman's cross for a cure.

Mountains, rivers, and grass,
with a view of open sky.
It's breathtaking of sorts,
and enough to get you high.

Dozers, trucks, and tractors,
to get the work done.
And the creek to irrigate,
makes life almost fun.

The cattle are named,
or so we're told.
Pookie, Dusty and Zeus,
live on Texas Creek Road.
Last edited by ccr on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 851 times
Been thanked: 312 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by snoopdog » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:35 pm

I think you need to adopt me, I don't eat much and don't require frequent flea treatment!
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm

ccr wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm
Image

A little piece of heaven,
that is for sure.
Gelbvieh, salers and herfs,
cattleman's cross for a cure.

Mountains, rivers, and grass,
with a view of open sky.
It's breathtaking of sorts,
and enough to get you high.

Dozers, trucks, and tractors,
to get the work done.
And the river to irrigate,
makes life almost fun.

The cattle are named,
or so we're told.
Pookie, Dusty and Zeus,
live on Texas Creek Road.
That's great!

The water comes from the creek not the river though (creek is just to the left (north) of the gate)
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15927
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 1388 times
Been thanked: 1099 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:47 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:35 pm
I think you need to adopt me, I don't eat much and don't require frequent flea treatment!
I'll give you two doses of pour-on when you come
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
ccr
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: 2019 replacement heifers

Post by ccr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 pm
ccr wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm
Image

A little piece of heaven,
that is for sure.
Gelbvieh, salers and herfs,
cattleman's cross for a cure.

Mountains, rivers, and grass,
with a view of open sky.
It's breathtaking of sorts,
and enough to get you high.

Dozers, trucks, and tractors,
to get the work done.
And the creek to irrigate,
makes life almost fun.

The cattle are named,
or so we're told.
Pookie, Dusty and Zeus,
live on Texas Creek Road.
That's great!

The water comes from the creek not the river though (creek is just to the left (north) of the gate)
i fixed it. i realized later you probably didn't get the water from a 500' difference in elevation.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

Post Reply