New and needing help

Let us know who you are.
Awp0302
Beginner
Beginner

New and needing help

Post by Awp0302 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:32 am

I have “inherited” a calf that I was told was blind from birth, but I’m not completely sure. I’m going to try to post a pic, but it’s giving me fits. Right eye has a white l, cloudy look with what looks like a little pink “nipple” sticking out of it. The left eye is a cloudy blue. I’ve just gotten back into cattle after a 15 year break, and I haven’t encountered anything that looks like this guy.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New and needing help

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:23 pm

:welcome: to Cattle Today.

Beats me what’s going on.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:03 pm

That pink nipple is an ulcer that is trying to heal or is close to rupturing.

Ken

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Ken's right, the pink nipple is probably scar tissue that filled in over an ulcer. Unless the eye is still really watery or it looks like he's uncomfortable opening it, you probably don't need to do anything. It will shrink down into a tiny little spot.

msplmtneer
GURU
GURU
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Post by msplmtneer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 am

Howdy and :welcome: good luck with the calf :tiphat:
If you are going to be stupid you gotta be tough

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm
Ken's right, the pink nipple is probably scar tissue that filled in over an ulcer. Unless the eye is still really watery or it looks like he's uncomfortable opening it, you probably don't need to do anything. It will shrink down into a tiny little spot.
Ken & Buck, but does that indicate blind at birth? Any ulcerated eye I've encountered was from legit pinkeye or eye abrasions. One of the original cows we bought had a cloudy (bluish) spot in one of her eyes & the sellers were upfront it was from pinkeye. Unless it's too late, LA300, patch or sew the eye shut and they're good to go. Educate me, please.

Awp0302, how old is this calf you inherited?

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm
Buck Randall wrote:
Ken & Buck, but does that indicate blind at birth? Any ulcerated eye I've encountered was from legit pinkeye or eye abrasions. One of the original cows we bought had a cloudy (bluish) spot in one of her eyes & the sellers were upfront it was from pinkeye. Unless it's too late, LA300, patch or sew the eye shut and they're good to go. Educate me, please.

I didn't want to throw anybody under the bus, but I'd say it's unlikely that he was blind from birth. Unless he happened to be born blind, then got pinkeye or an injury that caused the ulcer, which would be quite the coincidence.

It's almost certainly too late for treatment to do this calf any good. The white or soft blue spots on eyes are areas where the cornea is thickened after healing over an ulcer. If the ulcer is too big or chronic for the cornea to heal over, the body will lay down scar tissue like you'd normally see on skin. That's the pink stuff. It will shrink with time, like any scar, but the damage to the vision is probably permanent.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Awp0302 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:32 am
I have “inherited” a calf that I was told was blind from birth, but I’m not completely sure.
Right eye has a white cloudy look with what looks like a little pink “nipple” sticking out of it.
The left eye is a cloudy blue. I’ve just gotten back into cattle after a 15 year break
and I haven’t encountered anything that looks like this guy.
You've got a blind calf. What help do you need?

:welcome:
to the boards.... :tiphat:

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm
Buck Randall wrote:

I didn't want to throw anybody under the bus, but I'd say it's unlikely that he was blind from birth. Unless he happened to be born blind, then got pinkeye or an injury that caused the ulcer, which would be quite the coincidence.

It's almost certainly too late for treatment to do this calf any good. The white or soft blue spots on eyes are areas where the cornea is thickened after healing over an ulcer. If the ulcer is too big or chronic for the cornea to heal over, the body will lay down scar tissue like you'd normally see on skin. That's the pink stuff. It will shrink with time, like any scar, but the damage to the vision is probably permanent.
Gotcha. Thank you!

Awp0302
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Awp0302 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:56 pm

Thank you so much! I intended to post a picture and couldn’t figure it out. The pink “nipple” has shrunk, and his eye is a whitish blue. His other eye is a pale blue. I have come to think he has minimal vision out of that eye. He’s good natured and not skittish. Now we are trying to figure out whether to try him in the pasture when he gets bigger, or keep him pinned long term. Anyone had any experience with a blind calf? Wondering if her will follow our small herd by smell and sound? He follows our dog.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 am

I had one for a while that was with its mother on pasture. It was born blind. The mom would feed the calf and then sit it down where it would remain until she returned. I didn't think it would live but it actually did okay and I fed it out and ate it.
After it got to be a bigger calf it stayed close to a pond that was close to a border fence. It would make its way to where the water was, get a drink, then graze its way back to the fence. The fence was its security blanket.

When weaned it stayed in a smallish pen with a water trough and a feed trough. I had it processed when I got tired of fooling with it and had it all ground into burger.