Hay Baled

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Hay Baled

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am

So didn’t get my pasture fertilized and was wondering after my first cutting should I fertilize it and get herbicides put on still it will get cut end of the month. Guy that was going to do it no called no showed me.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am
So didn’t get my pasture fertilized and was wondering after my first cutting should I fertilize it and get herbicides put on still it will get cut end of the month. Guy that was going to do it no called no showed me.
At my location usually your wasting money with herbicides in June as the weeds aren’t in the growth stage.
This has been an unusual year for low temps and everything is running late.
I sprayed 2-4-D this morning, that said you know your place what stage is the weed growth makes a huge difference in herbicides effectiveness.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by tja477t » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am

our area has a lot more yield than most. we get around 4 bales an acre if its fertilized and the ph is right. thats the heaviest 4'x5' we can bale with silage special baler. if we bale for somebody else we get half the hay or $80/acre.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:27 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm
Bfields30 wrote:
At my location usually your wasting money with herbicides in June as the weeds aren’t in the growth stage.
This has been an unusual year for low temps and everything is running late.
I sprayed 2-4-D this morning, that said you know your place what stage is the weed growth makes a huge difference in herbicides effectiveness.
I would agree with this. At this time of the year most of the weeds are mature. Mowing the hay will deal with it and the grass should outgrow everything else. Fertilizer yes.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 pm

For the hay guys on here had a guy come out yesterday older guy cut more then half of my hay I told him and where an electrical cord was from an old trailer so he knows where it was and later on in the day has a few acres left and I went back to check on him and he sees me and not pay attention and his cutter hits the cord. And he burns up the thing or whatever that controls the cutter and shut its off . And he’s an older guy and he tells me that he’s gonna come back today he son messaged me on Facebook to tell me they won’t be coming back and because I cost them 1000 dollars for the small part be fixed and it won’t be worth it . He literally waits a whole day to tell me and I asked could he at least come back and bale what’s on the ground and he says no we can’t do that either so basically I’m lost in what to do. And the son bullies the dad from what I heard on the phone yesterday. The dad who was cutting stayed and talked to me over an hr yesterday evening. Now I’m scrambling to find some to finish cutting it or at least bale what’s on the ground.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 am

Chalk it up to lesson learned.... Yes you know where most all obstacles are around your place and in your hay fields... just telling someone where they are isn't good enough. They need to be clearly marked for just this reason. Your hay guy, even if he remembered to and did look, should have to spend time looking and searching for things he might hit. On the same note, son sounds a bit bull headed, shouldn't be in the hay business if little things upset him so much....
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am

1982vett wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 am
Chalk it up to lesson learned.... Yes you know where most all obstacles are around your place and in your hay fields... just telling someone where they are isn't good enough. They need to be clearly marked for just this reason. Your hay guy, even if he remembered to and did look, should have to spend time looking and searching for things he might hit. On the same note, son sounds a bit bull headed, shouldn't be in the hay business if little things upset him so much....
Yeah the guy cutting was the dad he wasn’t mad and he was cool with it. The son I guess is over it which I didn’t meet just communicated with him through Facebook. I have another guy that supposed to come later today .

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 pm

What was he mowing with that had a control box to get "burnt up"?

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
It was a krone cutter but the guy that came out and finished cutting told me he thinks his cutter was just bad cause he had no problems finishing

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 pm

So i was off on hay pasture Size guy came and baled today told me 9-10 acres and got 34 bales 4x5.5 first cutting as well first time this place been cut in 20 yrs told me it wasn’t bad for it being that long being baled.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:03 pm

At least you know how big it is now. That would have been an expensive mistake ordering fertilizer for 20 acres and only needing 10

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Google maps planimeter on a computer or field area measure app on smartphone and you can measure a fields size precisely, no guessing involved.

Plenty of customers call me with a 60 acre field to bale, I look them up and it'll be 16 acres, lol.

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jwimberly » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:44 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:34 pm
Google maps planimeter on a computer or field area measure app on smartphone and you can measure a fields size precisely, no guessing involved.

Plenty of customers call me with a 60 acre field to bale, I look them up and it'll be 16 acres, lol.
Another good resource is your county tax assessor website. All the ones I have been on have very good measuring tools for figuring acreage in them also. Plus the flood maps will give you a good heads up on possible wet spots.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 am

I use Planimeter on my iPhone. Best $5 I’ve spent

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:56 pm

I use Google Earth Pro, it's free, takes a minute to draw the line around what you want to measure and you have your answer.