Cattle prices

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU

Cattle prices

Post by tncattle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:35 pm

I think I know why or sorta know why or maybe I don’t know anything! Why are 500 lb. steers selling for $1.95 in Nebraska and about .40-.50 cents less in my area? My area is middle Tn and southern middle Ky. The only things I think I know is because, closer to feedlots, guaranteed weaned & vaccinated, better perceived quality??? I’m sure I’m leaving out more and maybe I’m wrong with what I think I know. Educate me!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cattle prices

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Where did you see them selling that high in Nebraska?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

tncattle
GURU
GURU

Post by tncattle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswnesum.pdf
Steers under 600 lbs. gained 15-20 cents in two weeks!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 pm

tncattle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:18 pm
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswnesum.pdf
Steers under 600 lbs. gained 15-20 cents in two weeks!
That’s impressive. I’ve heard that northern feeders were in short supply due to the rough spring weather.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:35 pm

tncattle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:35 pm
I think I know why or sorta know why or maybe I don’t know anything! Why are 500 lb. steers selling for $1.95 in Nebraska and about .40-.50 cents less in my area? My area is middle Tn and southern middle Ky. The only things I think I know is because, closer to feedlots, guaranteed weaned & vaccinated, better perceived quality??? I’m sure I’m leaving out more and maybe I’m wrong with what I think I know. Educate me!
That better perceived quality part,ain't far off the mark. Along with trucking, fuel price . Intact bull calves, unvaccinated, no backgrounding,weaned on the trailer, morbidity rate.non uniform groups..the buyers have too put groups together close to fill their order...you seldom see a group of 20 -25 calves go through the ring around here all same in type..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm

if yall want to get in touch with your emotional side look at the prices where I sell at my barn

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/rh_ls143.txt
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm

I think those prices had to do with the Big Basset sale. Really high quality cattle and the sale that week is a big deal.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm
if yall want to get in touch with your emotional side look at the prices where I sell at my barn

Wow a cattleman couldn’t last long at those prices.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Lucky wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm
skyhightree1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Wow a cattleman couldn’t last long at those prices.
I saw the writing on the wall and sold all my cattle but 10 mamas and a bull for tax purposes. You are right those prices are ridiculous.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Big difference between Med/Lg #1 and Small #1.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm

[quote=skyhightree1 post_id=1591449 time=1563312520 =

I saw the writing on the wall and sold all my cattle but 10 mamas and a bull for tax purposes. You are right those prices are ridiculous.
[/quote]

Sky all you need to do is figure out a way to count all them hounds as a dependent, then you should have plenty tax write off.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

BRYANT wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm
[quote=skyhightree1 post_id=1591449 time=1563312520 =

Sky all you need to do is figure out a way to count all them hounds as a dependent, then you should have plenty tax write off.
[/quote]

I tell you what. If food keeps going on for them I need to definitely have a SSN for them :lol:

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:52 pm

We are not much better here!
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lsd_mars_2070.pdf

Value-added calves are only bringing about a dime more. I wonder if it is worth even weaning them and feeding them.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:16 pm

For a dime? No. Not unless you have a bunch of them. At a dime, the only value you’re adding is to the buyers bank statement
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:36 pm

The prices @skyhightree1 quoted are about what we have been seeing here too, for a couple of months. It is worth the weaning and feeding for us ONLY IF we are selling at the graded sale in Harrisonburg and they are colored as opposed to black. It did help us with the char and red steers back a couple of months ago. Haven't been to Staunton in a couple of weeks so don't know first hand but with this heat and humidity, most everyone isn't shipping anyway. I don't look for prices to be that much better until maybe late fall. The corn that has been planted as "cover crops" to make it eligible for the gov payments, will be allowed to be harvested for silage and might make feeder prices go up a bit after it is seen just how much there is. Anything needing finished on grain will be down as grain (corn) looks to still be high. As sky said, the writing was on the wall, and i tried to make sure we got as many steers (and a couple groups of heifers) sold off earlier this spring when it was still decent. Heifers have been in the 1.10 to 1.30 all along, so no big surprise there. We had alot of late spring calvings, so they won't be coming off the cows until late fall/winter at least. Got one group now of mostly heifers on cows, getting moved this next week off the pasture we are losing. Should have been moved this past weekend but we were finishing up the last of first cutting of over mature hay. Had alot of green 2nd growth coming up so not a total loss. Getting some rain too will bring these fields back. Sorghum-sudan will be ready to cut soon. 10+ acres of corn looking pretty good with the rains. We will have feed to hold calves over for awhile. We cut our numbers some and have more fall calving cows than we would like from holding back some opens when cows were $.25 and $.30 this past winter. Might sell some as breds or with calves, will just have to watch the markets. But we are down about 35 from last year, many were old cows that were open and we knew they were going to go and we lost some to the wet and cold miserable conditions. There are about 6-8 that are in a field to go and they will leave with their calves most likely later this fall. Not near a bull on purpose.