Photosyntesis

Cattle problems.
gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Photosyntesis

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Can it only affect the nose and vaginal areas? A neighbor has about 20 heifers with blisters and raw on both ends.

I am going to send BR the photos as I can't get them off her email.

Thanks

Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: Photosyntesis

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am

I didn't even know this was a thing until you posted this. So I just found and read this article. Interesting.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/livestock-b ... -livestock

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 am

Posted for Gcreekranch.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am

Have they been treated for Liver fluke? Do you know what grazing they have been on?
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 pm

We have some weeds taking over our roadsides and now encroaching into our pastures/hay fields. Hogwart - and there is Giant Hogwart. If you handle the plant and get any of the "sap" on you, your skin will burn from any exposure to sunlight - for months. I have asked Cornell if there is any research about it for cattle. What happens when they rub on it or eat it? What if we bale it in the hay?
So, something like this - what if they get exposed when eating then get their vaginal area exposed when the pass the chemical in the manure??? I have been diligent in spraying the weed. It looks like a over grown Queen Anne's Lace except the flower is yellow. And it has pretty leaves.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:22 pm

We have a briar like plant here called Lantana and certain varieties of it cause liver damage and results in photosensitisation. In this case the skin damage is always the lighter pigmented areas however this is only a sympton of the condition and more serious stuff is going on inside.

Ken

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am
Can it only affect the nose and vaginal areas? A neighbor has about 20 heifers with blisters and raw on both ends.

I am going to send BR the photos as I can't get them off her email.

Thanks
It can affect anywhere with exposed skin. Noses, perineums, udders, eyes.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I think Bovine Herpesvirus 1 (IBR) infection needs to be in the list of possibilities...

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you all, these heifers are on a good vaccination program Lucky_P thinking IBR might be down the list but all things possible.

Grass is very lush and soft this year. Neighbor said there is some Buttercup and a few plants that may be St. Johns Wort mixed in. Definitely not many weeds.

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 pm
Thank you all, these heifers are on a good vaccination program Lucky_P thinking IBR might be down the list but all things possible.

Grass is very lush and soft this year. Neighbor said there is some Buttercup and a few plants that may be St. Johns Wort mixed in. Definitely not many weeds.
St. Johns Wort is a photosensitizing plant.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 pm

St. Johns Wort is a photosensitizing plant.
They know that, they are just not 100% sure that is what they have.

ClinchValley86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ClinchValley86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 am

Had this (photo sensitivity) happen to a charolais type cow two or three years ago. She peeled lots of skin, really turned raw, around her nose, eyes, lips, on her tests, around her poop shoot, and her vagina. It looks awful. Ended up getting her pretty good. She did eventually bounce back a little bit. But ended up letting her go. Still don't know what caused it.

Thought maybe it was something she ate. It was horrible though. If i remember right, she had fur peeling off too along her top line and around the pins. So sad.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:33 am

ClinchValley86 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:28 am
Had this (photo sensitivity) happen to a charolais type cow two or three years ago. She peeled lots of skin, really turned raw, around her nose, eyes, lips, on her tests, around her poop shoot, and her vagina. It looks awful. Ended up getting her pretty good. She did eventually bounce back a little bit. But ended up letting her go. Still don't know what caused it.

Thought maybe it was something she ate. It was horrible though. If i remember right, she had fur peeling off too along her top line and around the pins. So sad.
Sounds awful. Can you post any pictures? They might benefit someone in knowing what to look for.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 am

alisonb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am
Have they been treated for Liver fluke? Do you know what grazing they have been on?
gcreekrch
Are the heifers in a liver fluke area? As you probably know a lot of dewormers do not kill liver fluke. If the liver is damaged the animals immune system is compromised and toxins cannot be filtered thus photosensitisation is secondary. The animal does not necessarily have to be exposed to toxic weeds...too much chlorophyll in lush green grass can also result in P if liver damage is present.

If they are not in a liver fluke area just ignore this :D
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:05 pm

alisonb wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 am
alisonb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am
gcreekrch
Are the heifers in a liver fluke area? As you probably know a lot of dewormers do not kill liver fluke. If the liver is damaged the animals immune system is compromised and toxins cannot be filtered thus photosensitisation is secondary. The animal does not necessarily have to be exposed to toxic weeds...too much chlorophyll in lush green grass can also result in P if liver damage is present.

If they are not in a liver fluke area just ignore this :D
The heifers were treated with Ivomec going to grass, likely didn’t get flukes if that is the issue. I have seen flukes in moose and lamb livers quite often, rarely in beef livers. It has been a wet 7 weeks here after a dry spring.