Completely new to this

The place to start if you are new!
KentuckySpud
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Completely new to this

Post by KentuckySpud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I’ve actually got free hay to bale. And the equipment to do it with so hay really isn’t an issue for keeping them up in the winter

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 pm

KentuckySpud wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 pm
I’ve actually got free hay to bale. And the equipment to do it with so hay really isn’t an issue for keeping them up in the winter
Hay is still not free if you have the equipment to bale it. Fuel and maintenance never stop.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kilroy60 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 pm
KentuckySpud wrote:
Hay is still not free if you have the equipment to bale it. Fuel and maintenance never stop.
And the cost to fertilize and spray. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but do you have the facilities to work the cattle - worming, vaccinations, fly tags, etc., etc. It can be an expensive hobby and can take up a lot of time. Good luck.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 pm

kilroy60 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:39 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 pm
KentuckySpud wrote:
And the cost to fertilize and spray. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but do you have the facilities to work the cattle - worming, vaccinations, fly tags, etc., etc. It can be an expensive hobby and can take up a lot of time. Good luck.
Not to bust his bubble baleing hay can make a preacher cuss. Baler never breaks down in the barn or when there’s not a threat of rain.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

KentuckySpud
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by KentuckySpud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 pm

We’ve bales hay before and know it’s a tough scene but I was just mentioning we had the means to go get free hay as far as not having to purchase any.

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by FarmerShell » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Generally where about in Kentucky? Jeanne is giving some sound advice. My husband wouldn't let me have a dog. I've never had a dog.... 2 kids, 39 cows , 29 chickens, and a mini horse later 😁🤣😂🙌🏽😝 maybe should have let me have the stinking dog. Lmao 🤷🏽‍♀️👏🏾🤡

KentuckySpud
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by KentuckySpud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 pm

FarmerShell wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Generally where about in Kentucky? Jeanne is giving some sound advice. My husband wouldn't let me have a dog. I've never had a dog.... 2 kids, 39 cows , 29 chickens, and a mini horse later 😁🤣😂🙌🏽😝 maybe should have let me have the stinking dog. Lmao 🤷🏽‍♀️👏🏾🤡
Eastern part

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kilroy60 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 am

Good question that was presented earlier is why is only one heifer bred? I'd be concern if both heifers are the same age and both were exposed at same time and only one is bred. It may be that this one heifer could have an issue that will not allow her to get bred. I started with 4 bred heifers and have learned a lot over these years about cattle. Not an expert by no means and still have a lot to learn. Don't jump on the first offer you get. Raising cattle can be a positive and rewarding experience but it also has many, many challenges that haven't even be touched upon.

KentuckySpud
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by KentuckySpud » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

kilroy60 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 am
Good question that was presented earlier is why is only one heifer bred? I'd be concern if both heifers are the same age and both were exposed at same time and only one is bred. It may be that this one heifer could have an issue that will not allow her to get bred. I started with 4 bred heifers and have learned a lot over these years about cattle. Not an expert by no means and still have a lot to learn. Don't jump on the first offer you get. Raising cattle can be a positive and rewarding experience but it also has many, many challenges that haven't even be touched upon.
So the cow is a two year old who is bred back. And then the calf she had in March of this year is the other cow.

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by FarmerShell » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:47 pm

I got some cows I'll sell you. What color you want? 🤣🙌🏽😝🐂🐃🐄