The Time Has Come

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
bse
GURU
GURU

Re: The Time Has Come

Post by bse » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 pm

really like the reference to Ecclesiastes, true words.
From what ive seen and can tell, your leaving him a great legacy to continue with, super young man that seems to really be into cattle The thing is the cattle will be right there and im sure you will be involved, but if you get ready to travel you can just go, there in good hands,
btw B08 acclimated well, great transition to this rough tn grass.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 pm

I’d feel very lucky to be able to purchase some of your cattle gizmom. I wish you were closer. I’m no fan of cattle making that kind of trip, even under the best conditions.

Sepsis is real. And it can be life threatening. I had been going thru a difficult time in my life (divorce and a 3 year long trial), went for a stay-at-home mom to working 70 hours a week running one of the largest honky tonks in Texas. There was no quit in me, I had 3 kids to raise. And because of what it took to run that establishment, I never slept either because my kiddos also came first.

I had been struggling for a week. I knew I was ill but I needed to work. Caved one day and went to doctor. As I say in the waiting room, my body went into shock and I went from the waiting room to an ambulance ride to the ER. They ran all sorts of tests. You name it, they did it. Doctor said to me “I’ve never seen anything like it, your body is behaving like it’s been thru severe trauma.” and made me take two weeks of rest. Rest does wonderful things to a weary body. Except the fact that my body was in so much pain from being still. Strangest thing. I started to realize how hard I was on myself and that I needed to step back. You can’t stop working but you can reduce the amount you are.

You ain’t going to miss a beat. You’ll realize how much more you're able to give the remaining girls. I wish you luck and pray for fast healing.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Sorry to hear yall are cutting back some, on the other hand you will have more time to travel.

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SPH » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:26 pm

I totally get where you are coming from gizmom. While you have a heck of a lot more head of cattle than we do we just went through a herd reduction of our own this spring as my parents are getting older and cut a lease on a key summer pasture we used so we had to reduce the herd to manage on the owned acres. There will be a day we'll have to disperse the entire herd because my occupation and location is not ideal for owning cattle so a part of me will really hurt when that day comes when I realize the herd we built over the decades will some day come to an end. We spent many hours this spring debating how and which pairs we'd sell off because we had culled down to a really good group of females over the years and we all had our reasons why we wanted to keep certain cows which led to multiple emails and in person sit down conversations to go over our thoughts. Fortunately we found a breeder in our state that liked our genetics and fit in with their herd and bought the entire group which was our ideal scenario to sell the group to 1 buyer and not have people come pick and choose among the group we decided to sell.

Our time on this earth is insignificant compared to the life awaiting for us in heaven so stuff like this is really nothing when you look at what awaits for us after our time on Earth. One of our pastors gave a sermon last year and had this ridiculously long rope as a prop. He had this tiny portion taped off and showed us how this tiny piece of rope is our life on earth then pulled this huge length of rope through this hands and said this is what we have waiting for us in heaven so while we sometimes waste so much of our time focusing on this tiny little portion of our existence we should always be looking forward to the eternity we have waiting for us.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:17 pm

I can relate to your feelings. As most know, my husband got sick and I lost him little over 6 years ago. At that point, I was lucky I had the cattle. I had to do "stuff" every day. They relied on me. It had been just he & I.
But, I also relate to the fact that you have built this herd over many years. You are VERY proud of what you have accomplished (rightfully so!). I have reduced from 70 to 50. Not nearly as many as you, but was faced with cutting back on my genetics. Just remember, you know your cattle, you will still have your BEST genetics, and others will be able to enjoy more of your offerings!
I enjoy life and play a lot more than I ever did before. Enjoy each other. Time is precious.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 pm

I’ve always heard that you should not make life changing decisions when you’re in a life changing situation. Get Mr Gilmore to feeling better, then make the decision to cut a third out. I pray he mends quickly.
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Gizmom,
We're reaching the same point but none of our kids have an interest in the cattle, and the closest are 3 hrs away.
We're well on our way to cutting cow numbers from 80 to 40...sold off half the Fall-calving herd this spring, didn't keep anything bred to calve in fall, and will sell some good bred cows this fall just to get numbers down some more.
Strongly considering liquidating the whole herd.
Been breeding this group of cows for 30+ years, built the herd up from a small handful of purchased cows...hate to see 'em go, but at some point it's gonna be necessary.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:28 pm

It is difficult we have loaded out about 30 in the past couple weeks. Two old pathfinders that I have to confess got me teared up when they went on the trailer. A young guy we helped as a youngster now married with three boys is who got them. We gave the twin boys a heifer when they were born. He will probably only get one calf out of the 409 cow maybe two but she is a never miss kind of cow that will help him get a good foundation to his herd. The other cow also a Pathfinder same kinda deal a never miss no matter how she is bred so should help him get a good start. We’re trading out welding work for the two cows so he isn’t out cash and we get some help finishing the bull working facility. The others have goes to several different breeders. It sure hurts.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 am

But, they are your genetics and that lives on.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

T-Wacker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by T-Wacker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:10 pm

I not only feel your pain, but probably hurt more. My 85 year old mother has decided to ignore my fathers dying wishes and sell off the entire 525+ acre farm that I have been either living on or managing since I was 4 years old. Decided she wants to buy a big house in the NWA area and have basically a maid take care of everything. Both my brother and I have been told since we were little that the farm would be ours, regardless if we worked it or not. Well, I decided to stay close to home and run the operation while holding down a full time job. As an engineer, I could have gone several places and made far more money, but decided I wanted to operate a farm when I retired. My brother left the state years ago with a dream to maybe come home and join me when he retires (he's 4 yrs older). Needless to say, I don't have much free time because I run about 250 head (115 cows calved or calving now, and 50 replacement heifers due this fall or next spring) on the 525 acres plus another 200 acres leased land. Now having to painfully see the farm on multiple websites (priced way too low for a quick sell) and waiting for the shoe will drop and everything I have worked for vanish as soon as someone makes an offer, is excruciating. Trying to unload that many cattle will not be easy, as the leased land doesn't have any facilities to catch or load. Unfortunately as well, the only access I have to the leased land is through the current farm on a right-of-way road, so driving through that will be very difficult as well. I told my wife there is no way I can be this close to something I have been on or near for 50 years, so looks like we will be selling out and relocating out of state. No idea what I will do with this much free time as I have never had it before. Wife is nervous because i am only home on weekends if weather is bad, so she is wondering what that is going to be like. Even in college I drove 8 hrs each way, every weekend to work on the farm. Just hard to believe it will be gone so soon and most likely filled with chicken houses (something my father would roll over in his grave over). My brother, her favorite, couldn't even talk her out of it and offered to relocate her and pay her rent wherever she wanted to move. Nope, wants it all so she can burn through it like a coked up rock star (made over $650,000 in a 3 year period on gas well royalties, all gone in about 5 years).

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm

T-Wacker wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:10 pm
I not only feel your pain, but probably hurt more. My 85 year old mother has decided to ignore my fathers dying wishes and sell off the entire 525+ acre farm that I have been either living on or managing since I was 4 years old. Decided she wants to buy a big house in the NWA area and have basically a maid take care of everything. Both my brother and I have been told since we were little that the farm would be ours, regardless if we worked it or not. Well, I decided to stay close to home and run the operation while holding down a full time job. As an engineer, I could have gone several places and made far more money, but decided I wanted to operate a farm when I retired. My brother left the state years ago with a dream to maybe come home and join me when he retires (he's 4 yrs older). Needless to say, I don't have much free time because I run about 250 head (115 cows calved or calving now, and 50 replacement heifers due this fall or next spring) on the 525 acres plus another 200 acres leased land. Now having to painfully see the farm on multiple websites (priced way too low for a quick sell) and waiting for the shoe will drop and everything I have worked for vanish as soon as someone makes an offer, is excruciating. Trying to unload that many cattle will not be easy, as the leased land doesn't have any facilities to catch or load. Unfortunately as well, the only access I have to the leased land is through the current farm on a right-of-way road, so driving through that will be very difficult as well. I told my wife there is no way I can be this close to something I have been on or near for 50 years, so looks like we will be selling out and relocating out of state. No idea what I will do with this much free time as I have never had it before. Wife is nervous because i am only home on weekends if weather is bad, so she is wondering what that is going to be like. Even in college I drove 8 hrs each way, every weekend to work on the farm. Just hard to believe it will be gone so soon and most likely filled with chicken houses (something my father would roll over in his grave over). My brother, her favorite, couldn't even talk her out of it and offered to relocate her and pay her rent wherever she wanted to move. Nope, wants it all so she can burn through it like a coked up rock star (made over $650,000 in a 3 year period on gas well royalties, all gone in about 5 years).
Can you and your brother pool your resources and buy it from her?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:37 pm

T

That just breaks my heart. It also puts a completely different light on my current situation. So very sorry your going through this it is heartbreaking.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

T-Wacker wrote:
Have you talked to a lawyer? That's fricken awful :(
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

T-Wacker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by T-Wacker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm
T-Wacker wrote:
Can you and your brother pool your resources and buy it from her?
I doubt my brother would, he is only interested in having the area to fish and shoot his guns, not really a cattle guy anymore. He would be glad to join in with me because I know the cattle business and he is pretty well off (Chemical Engineer with his own business). I also have a hard time paying that much money ($875,000+) for something that was suppose to be mine in the first place. I am too old to start over with a huge mortgage, as I just paid off my house last December and was preparing to build on the farm to retire in about 5 years. My kids aren't interested and his daughter lives in NWA and isn't interested, so I don't want a 30 year mortgage at 58 with no one waiting in the wings. No idea if the grandkids would ever be interested (6,5 and two toddlers), I was hoping to move to the farm and kind of raise them in the environment and see what happened.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Raw deal my friend. Sorry.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.