2 days no water

The place to start if you are new!
MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: NW Arkansas
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 11 times

2 days no water

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Had 11 out of 15 cows refuse to go under a backrub for cubes.
I took it down, got them in the paddock with no water, and put it back up between them and water.
That was at 8:00 am yesterday. Left them alone all day and night.
Had 9 stubborn girls that wouldn't go under.
Tried several times today with cubes and light persuasion to get them to go thru.
They watched their friends go thru several times.

Today at 3pm I let them into another small pen with 110 gallon tank and they drank it dry.

Any suggestions?



User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Yep 3 days.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 574 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Raise it up higher till they get use walking under it.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8998
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by kenny thomas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:51 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 pm
Raise it up higher till they get use walking under it.
Agree, I bring them in the lot to feed also then put it across the gate, take it down every day and call them into the lot. Repeat until they go in on their own
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18852
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 555 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Yep 3 days.
I'd be leery about letting them in to unlimited water after 3 days-water intoxication can kill them.

From Lucky_P:
Producer had penned 15 cows & fall-born calves in the barn on Wed night, and held them there 'til about noon on Thursday - 97F high/79F low that day, with high humidity - with no access to water overnight. Turned them out into a 2-acre lot with shade and water. 3 hours later when they looked, all 15 were dead. Brain sodium levels on the two I necropsied were in the range of 4200 ppm; normal range is 800-1200 ppm.

In those sorts of conditions, without constant access to water, cattle become dehydrated via urination and panting. When these dehydrated cattle were allowed free-access to water after their confinement, they really tanked up. Water crosses the blood-brain barrier much more rapidly than does sodium, so the elevated sodium levels in the brain 'sucks in' water so rapidly that the brain swells - and there's not much 'wiggle room' inside that bony cranium. Death ensued pretty rapidly.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104224&p=1340031
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: NW Arkansas
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:37 pm

I'll have to try it with a different taller gate. I've got it at the top now. 2 can just get under without touching. I imagine several of the stubborn ones can also.
Thanks for the info on the water toxicity. I'll just let them use the rubbermaid for another day before letting them at a pond, so hopefully they can't drink too much.
I was much too nervous to make it another day.

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 322 times
Contact:

Re: 2 days no water

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:01 pm

greybeard wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Yep 3 days.
I'd be leery about letting them in to unlimited water after 3 days-water intoxication can kill them.

From Lucky_P:
Producer had penned 15 cows & fall-born calves in the barn on Wed night, and held them there 'til about noon on Thursday - 97F high/79F low that day, with high humidity - with no access to water overnight. Turned them out into a 2-acre lot with shade and water. 3 hours later when they looked, all 15 were dead. Brain sodium levels on the two I necropsied were in the range of 4200 ppm; normal range is 800-1200 ppm.

In those sorts of conditions, without constant access to water, cattle become dehydrated via urination and panting. When these dehydrated cattle were allowed free-access to water after their confinement, they really tanked up. Water crosses the blood-brain barrier much more rapidly than does sodium, so the elevated sodium levels in the brain 'sucks in' water so rapidly that the brain swells - and there's not much 'wiggle room' inside that bony cranium. Death ensued pretty rapidly.


viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104224&p=1340031
Quoted because this needs repeating. It happens more often than people think.
cor durum laborem

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15074
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 632 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by Nesikep » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:25 am

I"d much rather my cattle be alive and have to deal with flies
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by cowrancher75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 am

just spray them.. dang

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4498
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 308 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 am

What’s ironic is that they don’t want to go under a back rubber to get to feed or water, but take down part of your fence and hang one between them and the road. They won’t hesitate then. I don’t understand it.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:22 pm
Location: Frederick, Md
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:54 am

I tried the let them go with no water route, it didn't end well for me. I ended up taking the rub down and saying forget it.

MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: NW Arkansas
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by MrSmith » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:00 am

All still alive this morning and the water tub was still mostly full so hopefully didn't stress them too much.
This afternoon gonna hang the rub on a gate with a taller set of posts.

I tried spraying them 3 days ago. Permetherin in diesel fuel with a knockoff fimco sprayer...shifting winds that morning....the truck and I still smell like diesel despite many washes...lol

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:27 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by cowrancher75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 am

use mineral oil instead of diesel.. sticks better and they cows won't hate you as much.

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16673
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 624 times
Been thanked: 590 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 pm

cowrancher75 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 am
use mineral oil instead of diesel.. sticks better and they cows won't hate you as much.
my cows hate me anyway,so they get the diesel..and its off-road to .that really sticks in their claw...
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Hootowl1234
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: 2 days no water

Post by Hootowl1234 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 pm
cowrancher75 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 am
use mineral oil instead of diesel.. sticks better and they cows won't hate you as much.
my cows hate me anyway,so they get the diesel..and its off-road to .that really sticks in their claw...
Calm handling practices will always lead to more pounds at the sale barn. One fella here I saw even had his cows “happy” when he was artificially inseminating them. I believe he mentioned them having a smile when he was done. From the pictures he posted, they were some bigger cattle, so it must be true

Post Reply