Not new, but it's been years...

Let us know who you are.
Little Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Not new, but it's been years...

Post by Little Cow » Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am

I thought no one did forums anymore, so I stopped checking in. I don't do the big social media things, like FB, Instagram, Snapchat, or whatever else. I was pleasantly surprised this forum is still here.

We moved from a big place to a smaller place in town. It has much better soil, but the stocking rate is still small. We had to build this place from scratch, mostly by hand because our tractor works in fits and spurts. It took us over two years. My husband does his woodworking and works in town and I run the farm and substitute teach. I'm not working in my field, which is biology and animal science, unless it's in the lesson plan for the day, but it's amazing how much science is used on a farm. I do the organic thing as much as possible, which keeps me busy. I also try to manage the plants and trees on our new farm. Just cut down two Chinese tallow trees last week. Two more to go, but they might come down on the fence. I have to be careful because we have red maple trees in the cow pasture. They need shade, so the trees stay, but I have to walk the pasture regularly to pick up down or broken branches. Right now, the focus is on preparing for hurricane season.

We moved into town because our son is older and we need to be closer to his school. Scaled back the cow herd and got out of breeding altogether, except beef for us and a few pets. The big breeders and show people took our breed in a different direction and I can't change course after building my herd the way I have for 14 years. It's a bit sad, but that's the way it goes.

Our son has a small flock of hair sheep to sell lambs to a local restaurant. In addition, we have chickens and turkeys, a donkey and a goat to amuse us, and a few hay burners.

No pigs. Ever.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Not new, but it's been years...

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for bringing us up to date. I must say I’m pretty impressed that you could remember your password after all these years. You might just hold the record for the fewest posts over a nearly 13 year period.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Good to have you back Little Cow, you predate me. Your contribution to the forum will be appreciated.

Ken

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am

Just cut down two Chinese tallow trees last week.
Yea, cut them down and don't look back. They are a real pain in LA on the farm there.

Glad that others have hair sheep on the forum. A good deal for pasture management and income stream.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Ebenezer wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 am
Just cut down two Chinese tallow trees last week.
Yea, cut them down and don't look back. They are a real pain in LA on the farm there.

Glad that others have hair sheep on the forum. A good deal for pasture management and income stream.
Make sure you paint the top of the tallow stump with a remedy/diesel mix to kill the stump and the roots, and do it within a few minutes of sawing. Otherwise six or more will re-sprout from the stump.
"cut one down...six will come to it's funeral"
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Little Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Little Cow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Oh yes. They are evil things. Our County extension agent worked in the herbicide business before taking his post. He is very helpful. Sometimes organic just won't work. Tallow trees are such a nuisance that they need to be utterly destroyed. At least with soda apple I can pull it up, bag it, and throw it away. If I get all the pieces and the thing hasn't created seeds, it won't come back.

Interesting experiment with the tallow trees. You can use logs of the tree to grow shiitake mushrooms. We started that with one we cut down last year. https://www.southernsare.org/Educationa ... Production

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by FarmerShell » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Hello Little Cow 👋🏽 Sounds like your life is good. 👍🏽✌🏽🙏🏾 Thank God!
How do you and your son like the sheep? Sheep is something we have been pondering on. Cost to raise and money made off them is it worth it? What about the hair cuts? (Trimming) Do you hirer somebody to do that so many times per year or whatever or is it something you can learn yourself? Glad your back!

FarmerShell
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by FarmerShell » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:19 pm

I hadn't been on my account in years as well. I don't do any social media either. We have a sick calf so I decided what the hay I'd make a post today. To my surprise I had tons of private messages people missing my silly nonsense. We have came a long way from ghetto farming...moving up in the world's. Still not where we want to be but doing better than before. Everything takes time and money. We started off again with a mini horse. Which lead to 2 bottle calfs... one the mother refused to feed him the other was a twin, the mother and twin died during birth. We brought 2 more suppose to been just off the bottle. We got there to pick up them up Saddie and Lady they were 600 lbs cows. ❤🐃🐃 On the way home from picking them up we brought 16 more. Hey if that wasn't fun enough the next week I brought 21 more.
Now I'm coming to realize all that cow buying was fun and all but come winter these heifers going to have to eat. I may have been buying when I should have been selling?! Shoot I don't know! 🤷🏽‍♀️ Clueless!! That is where we are today. Learn as you go live and learn. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Great to see you back!
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown