Feds are paying $1000 to adopt a wild horse

All about horses.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Feds are paying $1000 to adopt a wild horse

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon May 27, 2019 7:49 am

The way I see things is, I can live without wild horses and burros, I can't live without gas and oil.

If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Not everyone will agree with all the ways public land is used, but there is enough of it to balance out many interests. Politicians are making a bundle by handing out leases to private corporations. We should see some of that money come back to pay for public interests.

I had an old AQHA mare when I was a kid. She was smart as a whip and had sense that I did not see in the next AQHA horse I owned. He was a wonderful pet and loved to be pampered, but he lacked that something extra. He also was built downhill and ended up with navicular at age 16. My old AQHA horse mare traced back to stock improved by TBs crossed with cowponies (which were range horses that included feral/Mustang/Spanish blood). She was still sound at 32.

This little Mustang I ride now has that something extra. She is tough and bold, like our Morgan, but smart and sensible. Selective breeding was done by nature, rather than for color or show. I never knew what Mustangs were like to ride. Now I get it. Not for everyone, though. They can be demanding and quite loyal to their people. They get in trouble if you ignore them. They like to get out and do things. I try to show her something new every time I ride and that keeps her happy.

I used to think I knew what Mustangs were, you know, scrubby, worthless, little ponies. Well, this little Mustang proved me wrong. I've met plenty of other people who also changed their minds after riding them.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Mon May 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Little Cow wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 pm
Not everyone will agree with all the ways public land is used, but there is enough of it to balance out many interests. Politicians are making a bundle by handing out leases to private corporations. We should see some of that money come back to pay for public interests.

I had an old AQHA mare when I was a kid. She was smart as a whip and had sense that I did not see in the next AQHA horse I owned. He was a wonderful pet and loved to be pampered, but he lacked that something extra. He also was built downhill and ended up with navicular at age 16. My old AQHA horse mare traced back to stock improved by TBs crossed with cowponies (which were range horses that included feral/Mustang/Spanish blood). She was still sound at 32.

This little Mustang I ride now has that something extra. She is tough and bold, like our Morgan, but smart and sensible. Selective breeding was done by nature, rather than for color or show. I never knew what Mustangs were like to ride. Now I get it. Not for everyone, though. They can be demanding and quite loyal to their people. They get in trouble if you ignore them. They like to get out and do things. I try to show her something new every time I ride and that keeps her happy.

I used to think I knew what Mustangs were, you know, scrubby, worthless, little ponies. Well, this little Mustang proved me wrong. I've met plenty of other people who also changed their minds after riding them.
I found that very interesting. Thanks.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Little Cow » Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 am

You're welcome.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue May 28, 2019 11:46 am

Liberals code of ethics is, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. That's a staggering overpopulation problem and a waste of taxpayers money. The wild horses could probably be self sufficient if they were culled and sold as needed.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Tue May 28, 2019 1:03 pm

That's a staggering overpopulation problem and a waste of taxpayers money. The wild horses could probably be self sufficient if they were culled and sold as needed.
I concur. I intentionally didn't include the "save the mustangs regardless of cost" liberal mantra. I live in the west and am no fan of the BLM. Properly managed, the "wild" horses could be viable & ecologically & economically coexist with domesticated grazing species. Such is not the current case.

Another good read and particularly as it pertains to the "purity" of feral versus ancient wild horses:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adve ... -part-one/

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Tue May 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Little Cow wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 am
There are only 50,000 horses and burros compared to 1,500,000 cattle. Most of the horses are in Nevada, on the worst public rangeland. The BLM rounds them up when they exceed 50K. (Source: BLM).

12,800,000 acres are leased for oil, fracking, and mining interests, which cause the most destruction to the environment by polluting ground water and tearing up the range grass.

Please keep in mind that this is public land, which belongs to us all. We should have a say in what happens to it. Back in the 70s, after WIld Horse Annie, we wanted horses to be there without being brutally gathered for dog food. Since then, the politicians have been pushing the horses and burros off the land for mining and oil interests and then blaming the cattle. The politicians rile up cattlemen against horse lovers so they can pull a slight of hand right under our noses. Why aren't we getting any money back from those penny leases given to oil, mining, and fracking interests? Who is getting the kickbacks? Well, take a guess. It sure isn't us.

The horses are a drop in the bucket. The horses are not the problem. The politicians are.
Do realize how many wild desert tortoises get stepped on by wild horses???? :shock:
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett